Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. I was wondering why the clamping slot was crooked. ;) Sloppy. :D

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's actually not crooked enough. It was supposed to go to the center of that pivot hole at an angle, but since the thinnest saw I had was a hack saw, I cut it by hand and the saw decided to take it's own path. :( Maybe it's time to consider a set of slitter saws for the mill. What a hack... :eek::rolleyes:

3. ratstar

ratstar

Scott,
    I keep following the build and I am always amazed. You inspire me man. Truly.

4. N8B

N8B

Sheesh.. Excuses.
    Back in my day all we had was a rock, bone and sand and somehow we managed just fine dammit!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in your day... Wait. Aren't we about the same age man?? :rolleyes:;)

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... Here's the kind of crap that has been taking me awhile...

Quarter window regulators and panels, more finish work on the floors and firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure why I don't have a picture of these all cleaned up, but the regulators turned out nice and work great. One needs a new spring, but other than that are ready to be prepped and painted.

More panel stuff...

[​IMG]

Actually found a part number after stripping the paint.... Interesting.

[​IMG]

Putting panels back in place were not so easy. Had to make mounting tabs so I had something to mount the regulator panels to. No wood to screw to...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man. You're doing a great job with the interior. I really dig the back portion that curves around behind the seats.

iPhone - TJJ App

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The dash needed some support on the bottom to keep it from flexing and it also needs a wire tray for the gauges and switches, so I made a support to handle both tasks...

Started with some scrap .063 aluminum and broke the general shape on the hand brake. I annealed the middle a bit so I could work it a little better as it got a compound curve while working with the shrinker and stretcher along the edges. Finished it up with some holes, a clean finish, and some mounting hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

An X-acto would work on aluminum, and save you a few bucks. :)

Attached Files:

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next thing I had to address is the access cover for the oil filter. The oil filter has to be access from inside of the car because of the way I ran the headers. The firewall relief was already installed, but wasn't removable. So I had to cut it out, add flanges, smooth it all out, and get it to fit right with the floor pieces and tunnel. Still needs a little bit more fitting, but it's close now.

Oh... and excuse the welds. I knew I was going to smooth out the welds, so I thought this would be a good component to work on a little TIG welding. Far from being awesome. :eek::eek::eek: Just gotta' keep practicing though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After splitting the tunnel so I can remove it easier. STILL not done though...

[​IMG]

chop job likes this.
  11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple more teasers... This is all you get for the body until I start final body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks great Scoot. Even the stuff no one will ever see looks perfect.

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Do you plan on running an insert in the grille? I don't recall you mentioning that but I probably missed that part.

iPhone - TJJ App

14. michev

michev

I like the way it looks!!

15. carsluTT

carsluTT

great work, thanks for posting so many detailed photos of your work.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks buddy!!!

Yes! Shortened 32. I worked REALLY hard to drop that grille shell between the tie rod and axle. I'm crossing my fingers I can get things worked out with it. REALLY close to some interference problems. We'll see what happens.

Thanks guys!

17. cruzr

cruzr

getting closer Scott......it wont be long

great work

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great job, I really like the way that turned out. Keep up the great work man!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Kick@ss Scott, really looking great! So many great details. I know it seems like a ton of time, but these things will pay off in the end result.

I think the things that many times make a car outstanding are the things that AREN'T noticed at first glance
    . And your car has a ton of these things.

P.S. I love the full shot with the clecos, reminds me of this. Maybe you should call your car "Hellraiser":D
    [​IMG]

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Man that looks great!!

22. Nice work Scott. As always it is the little shit that takes the longest and seem like the least impressive part of the build but it really is what makes your build really top notch.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Still time to make a hood before you start painting. [​IMG]

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Awesome! Thanks buddy! Takin' forever... (sigh)

Thanks man! I appreciate it! :cool:

Thanks man! And I've appreciated all the help through the years of this crap...

Bob... Don't tempt me! :eek::eek: This thing is going to be super hard to make a hood for, but at some point I'm planning on making something that sort of resembles a hood, but with a bunch of holes in it for all the crap that has to stick out of it. HAHA! One day...

25. Dark blue on the grill shell looks good.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't done an update for awhile for a reason...

Been REALLY busy with life and stuff, but I've also just been working REALLY hard on the car! The list is getting shorter and that means we're getting dangerously close to paint, folks!

Here's some teasers for you! You guys aren't gonna' get much...

Almost everything is at least roughed in, and a ton of things are now finished and ready for prep and final body work... Yet still quite a bit of finishing to do. Not everything you'll see is finished in the pictures. I didn't take a lot of pictures, actually. Just sort of jammed and got things done...

Door sills basically done, just need some final touches...

[​IMG]

Storage compartment made

[​IMG]

tunnels and trim basically complete

[​IMG]

Rear window frame and mounting is basically complete

[​IMG]

Door panels done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear lower quarters are basically done

[​IMG]

And now the body is off to finish up all the stupid little welds, grinding, welding, grinding, smoothing, finishing, and so on and so forth...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My good buddy Jeremy (Jeremy James here on the HAMB) happen to be in town from North Carolina for GNRS for the weekend. He had never been to Southern California before or GNRS, for that matter. Apparently he's a one day show kinda' guy, like I am. He said he really wanted to lend a hand on Saturday instead of going back to GNRS. So I was lucky enough to have him to help keep things moving. Incredible fabricator and an awesome friend to say the least! Thanks JerBear!

[​IMG]

He got a ton done on the rear finishing pieces! They seriously turned out killer! Wish I could have had him for an extra day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did my best to make him proud! TIG welded up, hammered, smoothed, and I think it's going to really pull off the look I need!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm just jammin', folks!! Still lots of welding, grinding, smoothing, slapping, bumping, and finishing to do. Hoping to start some final prep work this weekend and start a little filler work. IT'S ON!!!!

That's the last of the pictures for awhile. And maybe the last for this thread. We'll see...

27. Damn Scott. Looks amazing.

28. Looks really good Scott!! You must be getting pretty excited. That will probably change when you have to start sanding filler LOL. Stick with the Quantum it will make your life way easier.

29. Sweet, thanks for the update!

30. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Awesome! getting real close!