Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doug King Ardun Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I had the lucky break of picking up an Ardun race Engine of the Legendary Doug King. I am not sure exactly what I am going to do with it yet, but the last time I bought something I didn't know what to do with it, I learned how to road race. So who knows maybye I will be blasting down the salt or dry lake bed soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might swap out this ardun witht he ardun in my paul Sylva Race car. and then take that engine and put it in one of my hotrods..... hmmm but I think I need me a scot blower :)

2. Sounds like you already have a plan in the back of your mind.

3. I think you got a fair deal for what you bid on it - was watching the auction. Doug was a heck of a good guy - one of the best. Hopefully you get that engine in a race car of some sort and have some fun.

Best of luck!

Dale

4. oj

oj

Don't you just hate having to make those tough decisions? Sweet engine. I had thought there was an English connection but were the heads made in England? I just can't get enough of the Ardun story and really need to get a book.
    Thanks oj

5. "I think you got a fair deal for what you bid on it - was watching the auction. Doug was a heck of a good guy - one of the best. Hopefully you get that engine in a race car of some sort and have some fun"

Was watching it too - great score glad it went to a fellow Hamber who will ensure it ends up on the salt or on a lake bed.

Doug was a great guy - always helpful with info and parts.

Rat

6. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zora_Arkus-Duntov

Many dont know but Old Arkus ha d alarge hand in the beginnings of the Corvette. He worked in England for a time on Allards

Zora sent some time in England, working with Sydney Allard, the maker of the Allard sports car. During this time, a quantity of the Ardun cylinder head sets for the standard Ford engine were produced, some of which ended up in the famous J-2 Allard racing sports car.

according to this article..
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0804sr_ardun_heads/index.html

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn......

Just reread the TRJ article on the All mighty Ardun head conversion. They believe around 400 sets were ever made. 200 of the front water neck and 200 of the center. I believe that by the time they were made for Allards Zora has lost his company (Ardun Engines) but remained in control of the design and saw profits every time a new set were cast.

I've yet to see a set of V8-60 Arduns but I'm sure I spot them on a car one day. I wish I had the scratch to scoop up a set.

8. All I can say is WOW

9. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

History lesson + Ownership = next?
    I am sure next will be above just interesting

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  10. Sweet, nice score!
    My all time want for an engine - saving up for one of the Fergusson conversions.... thats going to take a while though :-(

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Awesome, NOTHING cooler than an Ardun !

12. So what are the serial numbers on the heads? His son was supposed to send them to me, but didn't get around to doing it before the auction ended.

13. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I dont know the numbers but next Time I am at the engine I will write them down for you

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is this the same engine that was in Scot's roadster at Bonneville? Or are there more Arduns for sale?

15. plan9

plan9

that was an excellent deal. the ad said its the motor from their lakester and FED.... its a contender for sure.

16. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

I'd also like to know the s/# on those heads...I could probably tell you where/what they came from.

17. Im not sure how many originals left the States, but do know there was about 6 pairs came to New Zealand, and one pair ended up in my neck of the woods. It did some time in one of my countries oldest hot rods, (which is still driven regularly, although flathead powered now) and owned buy a kiwi Hamb members relative.
    I think when he sold the Ardun, it ended up in a jet boat.
    SCoT blowers certainly look right at home on an Ardun.

18. Pheaton193

Pheaton193
    from Reno, NV

Mine are 167-168. Know anything about them?

Thanks

19. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Hi Pheaton...unfortunately I only have the Allard Ardun numbers...

20. Pheaton193

Pheaton193
    from Reno, NV

Thanks.

Pheaton193

21. Pheaton193

Pheaton193
    from Reno, NV

Any idea of the value of early Ardun intake manifolds? Should I sell them? I have a 4 97 intake.

22. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Engine is now at Fergusson getting a refresh, We are moving forward with a new Project that will have this Ardun as its Power plant :)

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Looking forward to progress..I never met Doug King but he was one of the top Ardun experts, glad you wound up with the setup.

24. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

10891810_10153179381941833_2622523045537934016_n.jpg
    Engine is Back from Fergusons and In the Chassis, for 32 ford Roadster Build.

elgringo71 likes this.
  25. PackardV8

PackardV8

A while back a friend with a flathead got tired of trying to find a SCoT blower and fabbed up an Eaton. Looked very cool and not one person in a hundred recognized it wasn't period correct.

FWIW, as in the photo, that left side water pump pulley doesn't seem to have enough belt wrap. Seen/heard 'em slip when the engine quickly grabs revs.

jack vines

26. Nice to see the ole' girl of Doug's in a new home! He was a neat man and a lot of fun to ponder "Hemi Flatheads" with. He'd be happy to see this engine in a car and running again. Keep us posted - would love to hear/see the 'first fire up' . . . that will be an exciting day!