Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC block id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niceguyede, Dec 5, 2011.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

My brother has a line on a deal of a steal on a sbc and 4 speed from a neighborhood guy that we've known for a while. He's kinda burnt so we never took much stock in his ramblings until he started dropping off parts. He has a sbc that he pulled out of a 65 vette for a 51 chevy he had back in the day. He never got around to building it and this motor and trans have been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. He gave my bro the casting #'s off the block and I did some checking, it is either a 67 327- 210-350hp, a 67 350-295 hp, or the motherload 67 302-290hp. My question is how else would you know? Anyone know the head casting #s for the above motors? What should we look for to tell the difference between them. It's a done deal either way, but if it's the 302 it would most likely go for sale to some camaro guy with extra $$$ for what he needs on his and his wife's cars.

2. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Get the # on the pad right below the pass side head they are stamped NOT cast also you can look at the crankshaft flange to find out if its a 302

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

He gave me a # he said was from the front of the block, but returned no search results. I don't know where it came from as I havent seen it myself. It might be one of those I just have to see and tear apart to know, I was just hoping someone had something else to go on. Either way it's a done deal, I just don't want to have to tear it down to identify it.

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Niceguy...there isnt a difference really in the blocks between the applications you mentioned with one exception. I believe the 350-295 horse motor that was in the SS 350 was a large journal and the other two are small journal. Most people dont know that but all 350 cranks are large journal. Anyway...the value is in the stamping and what parts are in it now...since they only made 602 '67 Z/28s I would assume its not one of them..but who knows...good luck...report back what the stamping on the front pad is and I will tell you what its out of...

5. Deuces

Deuces

Pull the heads and drop the pan...

6. squirrel

squirrel

Post it, we might could figure out what it is with the number. That's about all there is to go on.

7. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks Gary, but that's where I got the info on the block casting #. I was hoping to get something else to go on without getting to far into the motor. We will tear it down once it is in hand, I was just wanting to get more info before we get it. If it is a 302, which I really doubt, it will be for sale as it will fund the rest of his car and some of his wifeys. Those camaro guys are nuts about a 302!! I still don't see why they'd want a ford motor in a chevy!!:eek: hahahaha!

BTW...What ya doin saterday Gary, we need to get together about my A project........I'm workin on a game plan and need some advice!!

8. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

The #'s he gave me off the front of the block are 7107802. I don't know where he pulled em from, like I said, he's kind of spacey. I searched all the resources I know and even pulled a google search with nothing of relevance.

9. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

What exactly is the difference on the crankshaft flange? What should I be looking for? I'm pretty positive it's not a 302, but I'm curious as what to look for. I've prolly built 3 dozen camaro's throughout the years, but never a rare one. I've built a lot to replicate rare ones, but never a real rare one.

10. Ede as far as those numbers, it could be anything, my 64 283 has a # of 3834812 and my 327 has #3782870, being early year blocks, they don't have a pad on the front passenger head.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Should have a letter/number sequence like FI023HR stamped onto the top front of the block, just in front of the passenger side head.

The last letters in the sequence (HR in my example) are the engine code, which is what you'd search for.

12. aacfmach

aacfmach

pull the oil pan or head and measure the stroke. I hope you have a winner!!! the later z28 302 had dz stamped on the pad on the front of the pass head but like niceguy said don't know about the early ones.

13. badshifter

badshifter

Just make sure you don't re-sell it for more than what you paid. The latest HAMB bitch appears to be making money on parts. You don't want to be greedy now do you!?

14. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Like I said, I've built a lot of camaro's. I wouldn't sell it to someone on the hamb cause nobody on the hamb is going to pay the stupid money some camaro freak would!:eek: I can guarantee my brother would be more than happy with the 210hp 327 considering he has a 216 in it now! And the extra$$ could fund some more parts!

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What does the crank shaft rear flange look like, 302 is round with a knotch.... 327 has it's own shape as does 350