Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 chevy getting new motor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Oct 29, 2011.

1. harley rider

harley rider

we drove this car all summer with tpi motor .time for it to go traded our dragcar rolling chasis to pro engine builder for new motor.

Attached Files:

2. harley rider

harley rider

while waiting for motor.pulled all wiring that the previos owner used from 87 iroc .it was nasty .new wiring will probably be rebel wire.lookat this pile of crap I pulled.what a mess!!

Attached Files:

3. harley rider

harley rider

also filling holes in fire wall and floor used for old wiring.

Attached Files:

4. harley rider

harley rider

went to see motor builder today check progress .new Eagle crank installed.cant wait ,but have plenty of work to do untill I get motor. back to the shop for more welding .filling in cowl vent today. and other small holes in fire wall.

Attached Files:

5. harley rider

harley rider

after welding in cowl vent I removed the windshield wiper towers to sand whole area. there is notch cut in the windshield rubber for clearance on the wiper towers.I am now welding in these holes aswell.would hate to have to cut notch in new rubber.anyone else seen this on these cars? I may have some 39 chevy windshield wipers for sale.

6. harley rider

harley rider

fire wall finished and in primer.

Attached Files:

7. harley rider

harley rider

after removing windsheild decided it was agood time to re paint dash and replace nasty peice of oak in gauge panel with walnut. this project is just snowballing . you know how it is while fixing one thing you find two others that need attention.

Attached Files:

8. Snowballing? No way. Your just getting the details worked out in your heads. I'm thinking that puppy is going to scoot.

9. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Been a while since I had mine apart, but have no notch in my windshield rubber. The towers sit back from the rubber just enough to clear. What exactlyare you welding up? You should have a square or rectangle hole where the wiper tower mounts.

10. harley rider

harley rider

found out it had the wrong windsheild rubber.so i'm not welding in holes for wiper towers.

11. harley rider

harley rider

I dont mind the snow balling. it just cuts into my self imposed deadline.want to be driving it by end of feb.for a car show.I hope it scoots droping about 400 hp under hood.

12. harley rider

harley rider

got frame cleaned and painted.ready to drop in new motor.

Attached Files:

13. harley rider

harley rider

picked up new motor this week end.cant wait to here it run .but I have a lot of work to do before that happens .now I'm thinkin about painting car before dropping in motor.

Attached Files:

14. harley rider

harley rider

check out what I did to these gauges.the gauges I bought were slightly smaller than the ones I took out. just barely covered the holes .the old gauges had the needle sweep acroos top side new ones on the bottom .realized you couldnt see them like that so I angled them up with some pvc pipe.

Attached Files:

15. harley rider

harley rider

got new valve covers today . beets them sheet metal ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. harley rider

harley rider

Sanding sucks. gettin ready for paint before I install new motor.luckily this car is in good shape only a few minor repairs. just lots of sanding.

Attached Files:

17. F&J

F&J

Good progress, keep going :)

18. EWalters

EWalters

Ive got a 1940 Chevy pickup I'm working on. I like what you've done with this one!

19. harley rider

harley rider

thanks . goin to body shop tommorow to use a friends paint booth.

20. harley rider

harley rider

built this cross member to replace the hacked up original. makes a lot of clearance for exhaust. welded in nuts for exhaust hangers.this was an after thought after I had painted it.

Attached Files:

21. carsluTT

carsluTT

cars looking good, i just pulled the TPI motor out of my project truck also. cant wait to see how this turns out.

22. harley rider

harley rider

I like the TPI motor it may go in some thing else. it just wasnt right for this car.

23. carsluTT

carsluTT

i understand, the TPI has been solid for me its just time for something more period correct. i plan to toss the TPI into an FJ-40 thats been under a cover for a few years. deff look forward to update's on your progress.

24. harley rider

harley rider

got fat mat installed. did floor fire wall and cowl.

Attached Files:

25. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looking good,what color you painting it? want to see it done

26. harley rider

harley rider

27. harley rider

harley rider

my paint booth deel fell thru . thats ok i'll do it at home.the wife and I goin to make a temperary paint booth in our shop.started getting some primer shot.been a while since I painted a car kinda rusty.I'll have it down by the time I get to paint.

Attached Files:

28. pinman 39

pinman 39

Looking good . Next you'll need to change your name to" 39 Chevy Driver ".LOL

29. harley rider

harley rider

Thats funny ! this is my wifes car so she is "39 chevy driver".

30. sololobo

sololobo

The only time you say no, is when your ask if you have had enough! One thing just leads to another doesn't it! Really looking good bro, a great summer ahead of you cruzin this beauty! Go man Go ~sololobo~