Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

dont forget you can spray Krylon any time of the year.. rain or shine for or earthquakes!!!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just noticed the door hinges, are they on correctly, or is the lower one up side down or 180 out? [​IMG]

3. This is an incredible project.

Frenchy

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! That goes in the "I learned something today file":D Bob

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just went through the whole build thread last night and today.. I had been catching up every once in a while and didn't start reading through the entire thing until last night. This has always been one of my favorite build threads on here. Just pure awesomeness!

So.. Any updates? I'm anxious to see the body in paint!

6. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

When I grow up I want to be "MCRAD" !!!

7. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Want all you want. You will never be able to achieve the radness that Mr. McRad has achvied. In fact very few people will ever reach the greatness the Great Modified One has reached. All hail Scooter All hail Scooter.

8. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Just dont drink that grape Kool-Aid .

9. Scooter is soooooo dreamy!

(Oops! He must have slipped some of that Kool-aid into my Coca-Cola!)

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm fortunate enough to get TEXT updates on some of the stuff that he's been doing lately (yeah I'm rubbing it in) and you guys are going to be blown away with his ability to make Spinach Dip, Decorate Charlie Brown Christmas trees and watch Elf with his wife Holly instead of working on the Murray. :D:D:D:D:D:D

He's taken all that knowledge and skill that he's learned on this car and brought the whole Spinach dip industry to it's knees wondering how he does it. It's pretty serious stuff.

Just kidding, I got a few updates Saturday and Sunday of what he did on the Modified over the weekend. Blown away as usual. Way way way over my skill level.

C'mon Scoots give those guys a little taste of what you did over the weekend....and the spinach dip too!

11. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Now we all expect spinach dip on sat breakfast Scoot !!!

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are hilarious! HAHA! :D:D And I wish I could take credit for the spinach dip, but that's all my wife! Killer dip!!

As for the updates, I don't have all the pictures uploaded yet. I've done quite a bit since the doors in my last post. It's all stuff that's hardly noticeable, but a TON of work. I'll get the rest up when I get them uploaded.

I've been focusing a lot on things I need to get done with the body in-place so I can get it off the chassis and progress on some real finish work. Transmission tunnel and floor stuff, oil filter mounting, rear panel work, and most recently I've had to get the dump tubes done for the exhaust cut-outs as well as the throttle pedal working and linked to the engine. So here's a few teasers...

NOTE: All the phillips head screws I'm using are just for mock-up. I have slotted screws to replace them all... (just saying it before JJ calls me out)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I finally did some work on the throttle pedal assembly. "vroom vroom" noises are becoming much more realistic with working controls! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed an input arm for the 6x2 linkage as well. I had this one from a linkage I borrowed from another HAMBer to set up mine, so I sort of replicated it, but wanted a clamp style instead of set screw style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little knurling on the cross shaft...

[​IMG]

And sort of set up... I hate the look of those plated parts for the throttle cable. I will probably paint them, or something.

[​IMG]

13. 73RR

73RR

Damn Scott, you da man!!!

One question that you most likely have covered, but will there be a sleeve/bushing of some sort on the cable guide through the firewall?
    On that entry angle it looks like a good place for the cable to get scuffed.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes... The cable goes through a machined aluminum piece attached to the end of the cable housing, and it's sort of hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but I tweaked the cable entry point in the firewall so that the machined sleeve was running as tangent as possible to the swing of the pulling arm.

That big ass hole underneath where the cable comes through will probably be closed up and moved. That was for wires, sender tubes, and everything else, but I think it's going to be in a bad place.

15. Skirv

Skirv

I really like (and can appreciate) your exhaust system work. The way you made the tubes come off the dumps so they are not noticeable is really nice. I did the same here on mine. I think it pays off in the long run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. cruzr

cruzr

Scott is da man...............

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the words guys! I appreciate it! I think it's really hard to explain/show the differences that have taken place with this car. Just takes hours and hours to straighten out one line, fix door gaps, make various patches from scratch and weld them all in. The thing that is REALLY time consuming right now is I'm faced with all the little means of attaching garnish moldings and window regulator panels that were attached to wood that has since been replaced with metal. Had to do some really creative things just to have provisions to screw things back together. :eek::eek:

That's virtually the same cap design I was going to go with... Guess I'll have to change it now. :rolleyes::D HAHA! Looks fantastic! Just nice and clean! Nice work!

18. Looks great Scott. Where did you get the clamps for connecting the sections of exhaust together from?

19. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

WOW! You are the fab master!!

Sweet ride!

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The v-band clamp unions are from Silicone Intakes - http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Most reasonably priced I've found. VERY slick way to create a low-profile union. I had to be able to pull the rear half of my exhaust through the frame which meant I couldn't use a bolt-on flange or anything like that and I was afraid that a slip type union wouldn't hold like I wanted, so I opted to go this direction. I think I paid $58 shipped for both sides with a pair of clamps and the flanges for both sides. I'll do the rest of the exhaust with the body off.

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Still learning though... Not sure about "master".

Thanks man! Can't wait to see paint on this body as well! The vision is a good one! The details I have in my mind will be awesome if I can get them out of my head and do them to the vision I have... I keep telling myself "HURRY UP already!!!" :eek:

21. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Man! What a great thread. Very cool car Scooter! I like that you used the front doors and filled the wheel wells. I've seen a few Model A 4 doors shortened up but they always used the rear doors or a combination of both doors. Your's rocks!

22. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

your just too damn good man...

23. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Scoot, you think I was poking fun, but I was more serious than I was kidding. Your work is great and provides inspiration to a lot of people. the parts you make are fantastic and the detail is incredible.

Believe me guys, this stuff looks even better in person.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

That one piece just about sums up the quality of this build, 5+ hours to make it? [​IMG]

25. kisam

kisam

Geeez Scooter - your doing some nice work! Mad skills brother.

26. striper

striper

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob...

30 seconds to cut the material, 5 minutes to set it up in the mill and square it, 2 minutes to transfer and punch the holes, 5 minutes to set up the chuck and drill the thru-holes, another 5 minutes to switch to a 5/16" end mill and mill the 0.10" deep slot to retain the rear nut, 10 minutes to flip it over, take another 0.10" off the back side and free-hand the shoulder around the pivot hole, make the recess for the screw head and chamfer the corners. 5 minutes to cut the clamping slot (which is crooked and drives me NUTS), another 15 minutes in file work, 10 more quick sloppy minutes with some abrasives and a super quick polish job. Soooo.... About an hour. :D

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Wheel wells were filled with two lower patch panels, a low-crown piece from part of the rear of the body I cut-out for the frame, and the rest by a 50-something hood from the37kid. :) Was a lot of debate on how I would do it and I didn't have an English wheel at the time, so I had to improvise. Worked out great! Now I just have to finish the bottom of the panel as it wraps around the rear lower body.

Thanks man!

Thanks a bunch!! :)

Thanks brother! You're making me blush... :eek:

Thanks! We need some updates on yours as well... Post soon!

29. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Well, alright!

Next time I get to sit in that thing I expect to hear something more than you making motorboat sounds in the other seat!

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too! You don't come around these parts too often!! :eek::eek: