Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Automotive - Caveat emptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank you for posting and thanks for the reply's. I learned alot this morning.

2. This thread is still picking up a number of "thanks for the warning", or "I just read" posts... so it's still doing it's job.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

He did threaten legal action -I referred him to an attorny friend.

In the end, he gave Eric more money, to complete the deal on the '32. It was the only way he could recoup his investment.

Ed, have you tried a local attorny? I know they cost money, but it may be worth it to you. I'm sure local HAMBers would be willing to do the process serving and things, which could save you some money. I'm only 60 miles away, and I'd be willing to help.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Let's give Eric a chance to make amends now. He has written to me saying he'd like to refund me. He's transferred $10 as a test to my Paypal account. That was 9 hours ago. I'm still waiting for the other $1990, but if he's not just winding me up then this thread has worked. I'll keep you all posted and expect the thread to be closed as soon as that $1990 arrives. I'm checking my mails every half hour and will let Ryan know the instant it turns up.
    Thanks guys for all the support.
    Ed

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like Eric got in over his head and couldn't figure out how to get out, so he started a bow wave of debt?

Lots of guys are great craftsman but don't really know what it takes to set up and run a business in such a way that they have some reserves to handle contingencies. If you're running a business on the ragged edge, even if you have a fantastic product, the risk of going over the edge is always there. I hope Ed and everyone gets their money or their parts and Eric is able to pick up the pieces and move on. The hot rod world does not need one less source of quality parts but it does need one less source of headaches.

6. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

He's waiting to get the money from the next poor bastard that orders something. Next he'll dick that guy around till the next pb sends him money. This is nothing more than "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" and in the mix comes the rent and he screws Paul too. If Ryan can't set him straight no one can. His plea is to not shut him down because then he can never dig out, BS. Find his sources and buy direct, he doesn't make this stuff!

7. Ed, good for you for not giving up. I've had people screw me out of money in the past. I would have given up a long time ago. I'm glad you are perceviering!

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks for this post. I have ordered a reversed eye mono spring from him years ago for my 39 Ford and have been talking to a friend who wants to lower his 40 nthe same way. I told him to go with Eric over at Riley auto and he could find him on hear. This blows me away and I am very glad that he hasn't ordered the spring yet.

9. And that is exactly the point.

Ed, good to hear there is some progress... If it's "lesson learned" on Eric's part, then good for all of us. If not, I'm sure that we'll hear about that too.

10. rare32

rare32

wow....I have dealt with Eric in the past and had no problems.
    About 18 months or so back he asked me about being his Aussie supplier of the front drums kits etc.
    I was looking at a $2-3k deal and then his emails got pretty in-frequent and I figured he had found another agent.

I think I may have been lucky!

I got burned by another Denver vendor called Gennie Shifter...it took 2 years to get $2500 worth of gear out of my $3300 buy-in order...and the last $500 was after getting guys from So-Cal to put pressure on them.

Its a pity , Eric seemed like a decent guy.

Business is tough at present, but I'd go without myself before I didnt send an order out that was paid for. If I am not sure my supplier can get the item I need, I wont take money.

I take card details but will charge it out once the order is ready to ship.

as long as So-Cal speedshop and Mooneyes keep going as we are ordering heaps from both at present!

11. colorado51

colorado51

Wow, this is really too bad!

I have meet Eric quite a few times, and he is/was always friendly. Still see him around at shows and swaps too.

I have no idea what happened with him and his business, but I hope everything works out for everyone involved.

12. tunes

tunes

It looks like pressure from the HAMB may have caused Eric to reconsider his thinking towards Edward. I hope everything works out well in the end, but after reading about problems others have had over the years, I wouldn't hold my breath.

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Eric has refunded me the outstanding balance in full. Let's all put this behind us now and give the guy a chance to start afresh. Please no more calls and mails to Eric regarding this matter. Thank you all for your support.
    Despite all water under the bridge I hope Eric can now pull through this and wish him a successful new start for 2012.
    God bless
    Ed

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

you are the man Ed, no way I could wish him well after what you been thru.

Glad he finally got you squared up though.

15. Glad to hear it, Ed. Hopefully this gets other "shady dealers" thinking it over as well.

16. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

That's great news, Ed.

17. That's great news ... long time coming but at least you got it. Congrats.

18. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Just spoke to Eric and I,m glad Ed is paid
    But do some of you idiots realise that making death threats over the internet is a felony offence?
    Talk about the mob mentality or no mentality at all.

19. Weasel

Weasel

While I am very glad for Ed that he has finally got his refund, it's a sad reflection that it has taken this thread on the HAMB - two years after the original transaction - to finally put some pressure on this Eric to do what should have been done immediately. The values of honesty, good business sense and just plain common sense seem to be sadly lacking in many instances from today's society and this goes along with the overall decline of respect for people and their possessions and the lack of moral fiber. I for one would not do business with Eric under any circumstances whatsoever. He has shown his true colors and that should not be forgotten....

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear that Ed. It looks like it's time to put this one to rest.

I don't know if his actions were "shady" or if he just started letting life get in the way of doing proper business and taking care of business but it isn't the first case where I've seen someone run his own business into the ground with poor decisions.
    Let it be a lesson to others who sell to our fellow Hambers that good business ethics need to be paramount.

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Hey Weasel, I agree with you completely. It would be interesting to know whether Eric learned anything from this. I would imagine that he still doesn't get it, but I might be wrong.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Made my day hearing you got your money at last, Ed. :) I agree that we accomplished what we wanted in this instance and that the phone calls, emails, and face book contact is no longer needed. Thanks to all who thought enough of another HAMBer to go out of their way to try to help.

HOWEVER...............Leopards do not change their spots, so anyone considering sending money to this company should do so in some guaranteed manner, such as Paypal or CC, where you can contest it if the item doesn't arrive. And do not be lulled into it being shipped "this week, then next week", your window of opportunity to contest it will pass.

Personally, I would ask for a firm shipping date and have them email that date back to me, then you have a contract that can be enforced. Put on your written order to them "Time is of the essense." That means he does not have the luxury of choosing when it gets shipped, he has to perform under the lanquage of the contract. (emails are considered legit forms of writing a contract)

Don

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Went back to his Facebook page and some earlier comments had been deleted somehow? Mine was gone, and I reposted it again. I'm not a regular Facebook user, so how did someone delete posts at their account?
    And what about all the others who have been shorted, or never got their parts?

24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Ed;

I'm very happy Eric settled this, w/o you having to resort to "the next step(s)".

Just too bad it took all this, & this long. & should've been totally unnecessary...

Thanks Ryan, for leaving this up long enough to have a useful purpose. Well, more than one, anyways.

Marcus...

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been doing this stuff for almost 17 years now. For the most part, it's been a glorious experience dealing with some of the best people on this earth. I've been disappointed before, but I've always been able to understand why certain situations came to bear. I could see why, on occasion, that shit happened.

I think this entire situation has been the most disturbing that I have ever dealt with. No matter how hard I try, I can't wrap my head around how or why this all happened. Frankly, I'm not without some blame here... I gave Eric the benefit of the doubt for too long. Even so, I think I would do it all the same if I had to do it again - I believe in people and will continue to... Because I know folks are better than this.

And I don't know if this is the end of this particular deal. I don't know if everyone has been paid back. I know that Bob Wilson was owed quite a bit of money. There might have been others as well. I just don't know.

I do know that from day one to even this day, I haven't been able to get the gross taste out of my mouth. I hope this eventually all gets resolved. I really do... because this all SUCKED on so many levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.