Register now to get rid of these ads!

inline sander

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29moonshine, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

what is the best inline sander to get tired of harbor freight junk . have a lot of body work to do on my suburban thanks

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Hutchens spendy but worth it,love my orbital.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've got a Chicago Pneumatic 7268 I believe. I love it.

4. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

hutchens for sure.

5. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

hutchins for longevity

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Do they still build Atco/Viking airfiles? My Atco was going on 25 with one rebuild when it was stolen. I wouldn't have an orbital airfile as a gift!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

7. Willy301

Willy301

I recently went through this same quandry. Before I broke down and bought the Hutchins, a guy gave me a brand new Chicago Pneumatic still in the box. With that said, as soon as I can raise the funds, the Hutchins will be in my possession. The Hutchins has less vibrations, and has the only orbital inline sander I have seen, and I am impressed..

8. Making new atcoa-viking and also repairing the old ones with nos and used parts. Still even has a few very low hour demo units. Has a trade in program for your old atco on a new one. (not cheap)
    Karl himself rebuilt one for me, 85.00 plus shipping and runs like new. In daily use since 1980s. Plus he's great to talk to. 85 years old and still at it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1aH0DQ&usg=AFQjCNF5f8J_d-7YsamsyZTVm0CREjAwRA

Ain't nothing like an atcoa

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Yes they still make them. Do a Google search to find them.

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent the wad on a Hutchins and have been very happy with it. It was a shit load of money, but I expect to have it the rest of my life and it was made in the United States.

I must say...when I first got it it was kind of slow and I was a little disappointed, but after a month or so it really started mowing down the Bondo in a big hurry.

Good luck, -Abone.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you get good with the use of a half round " Surfform " blade you'll use less paper, produce less dust, and speed your repair time when using your air file.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

12. 29moonshine

29moonshine

frist i need a air file that last more than 3 days been through 4 harbor freight files in 3 weeks taking the last one back today

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Did the same thing, then went and bought one at Advanced Auto Parts. Don't know what brand it is off hand, but it has been reliable - I know it's a candy burgundy color.

14. viking-atcoa I put a oiler on the machine it will make them live a long time:D
    i must have been bondo-king as i wore out quite a few of these
    the worn out cheepies :mad:are good for spot putty and finishing

also you wear out your hands, carpel tunnel and I got arthritus so bad I cant believe it

there is no cheep way out on doing production air filing:cool:

eugene former Bondo King now mostly in pain:mad:

15. Weasel

Weasel

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Love cars, love working on cars, hate doing bodywork - have to do it because I'm too cheap (broke)to pay someone else to. Been blocking a car for the last week and my hands are dried out with my hands and forearms sore. I have a lot of respect for those who do it every day for a living.

17. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

I have an electric Milwaukee band file that is a workhorse. Cost around $300

18. Dynabrade for my in line and I use a Hutchins orbital air file with 180 grit for the finish filler. It all gets hand blocked from there...

19. Noland

Noland

hutchins love them. I own one in line hustler air board. one orbital board and 2 DAs. I bought all of them used and they never miss a beat and run really smooth.

20. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Rodac if you can find one or a Hutchins...

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've had my Hutchins Hustler for over 30 years! Didn't like the orbital, but kept the straight line longboard.

22. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have an IR. Got it before I started my 53 build, and they sell them at Walmart.com, It seems to be good, I had a HF one that lasted about 15 min berfore it broke.

23. Weasel

Weasel

The HF lasted that long? Wow, you got lucky....