Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electronic distributor for 291 Desoto HEMI???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StuntmanJames, Dec 4, 2011.

1. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

Is there a bolt on electronic distributor produced for a 291 desoto hemi? My points distributor is acting up... not exactly sure whats wrong yet but shes not starting... new points, cap, rotor, plugs and wires... But today has been cold and rainy in texas... And what about those things that take the place of all the internals of the stock distributor to make it electronic? Thanx so much for any help!

2. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I belve it's posible to use LA distubrator if the block hight is the same as LA

in other case you have to do a little adpter thats make the shaft longer or a distance so you under the flange if the shaft is to long.

354 hemi need a 1/2" adapter on the shaft

I dont know witch block hight the desoto engine have

/Stefan

3. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Contact hotroddon here on the HAMB. He can hook you up with a pertronix ignition. That's what I'm using in my 276.

4. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

I looked for a hotroddon or hot rod don and didnt find either...?

5. sdluck

sdluck

Try GMC Bubba here

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Try Hothemiheads.com

7. George

George

As was said, pertronix or something simular, or lenthen the dizzy shaft or int. shaft.

8. USe the LA electronic MoPar distributor. If the block height needs altering, just grab an adaptor from hot head and check it for proper fit.

IMO the MopAr electronic ign one of the best factory distributors out there PERIOD and will handle anything your 291 will put out.

My 330 needs the shaft to be longer by about 1/4" but that aint no biggie - easy to lengthen the dist shaft to suit as the 330 is a tall deck.

Your 291 will be a low deck engine.

Rat

9. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

So im new to HEMI's and mopar, so where do i pick up one of these LA distributors up at?

10. George

George

Mopar Performance dizzys can be bought @ Summit, Jegs & other aftermarket parts places, or a standard '73 & later electronic one @ the AutoZone, NAPA ect. Mopar Performance has a complete kit for converting a 340/318 to elec ig. You still have to lenthen a shaft. LA is the 273/318/340 & 360 small blocks

11. Must not of looked too hard :D

We do not offer a complete distributor for the 291 DeSoto, but we do offer electronic Ignition conversion kits for the original distributors.