Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mice deterent???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TABLAY, Dec 3, 2011.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I let her do this because she brings me a mouse a day. Sometimes Two.

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

We used to have the little black ones with the silver bellies running around in our backyard.. Sunning themselves on the rocks.. I sure miss Australia..:(

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

They sure clean up the snails here and get rid of the mice but I do not like meeting them when I am working at the same (floor) level in my workshop.
    Still a Bluetongue is better than a Snake any day andd my mous problem in minimal.

4. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

There was another thread about various cures for mice problems. One poster mentioned this device http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3130NHdwmTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I thought maybe it works or maybe it doesn't but I had a really bad mice problem in a RV parked on country property. I bought it and sure enough, no more mouse droppings in the RV. Yes, it's loud as hell on the high setting but I am willing to deal with that to have no more mice. Here is Amazon's page for it

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-EP1100-Ultrasonic-Repeller/dp/B0007CXT8G/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

5. My dad has always used pine scented Little Trees for airfresheners. I now have the car(15 yrs.) and it has sat for years with rusted out trunk and all, but no mice yet. I found mouse droppings all over the motor, but none inside the car. I decided to put a new air freshener in this year.

Doug.

6. x2222

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

this seems to be an overdone topic, but I will add my experience.

we see all kinds of deterrents, or the remnants of said ideas, when we buy cars. We also discover evidence of mice. But not usually in the same car. perhaps the deterrents work?

I believe the most important thing is cleanliness. A new to us vehicle gets a thorough detailing. this includes pulling the back seat, all the trunk panels and giving it a heck of a vacuuming. So now we have eliminated the source of food.

We then deodorize the vehicle, even using an ozone maker if necessary. We typically utilize a fragrance if there is a bit of unpleasant odor remaining. Many vehicles smell real nice due to the mouse deterrents used by the previous owner.

When fall arrives, we buy a grocery bag full of dryer sheets at the Dollar Store. We buy another bag full of mothballs and a third full of mouse bait.

We put a good two dozen dryer sheets in each vehicle. Under the hood and in the trunk. Under the seats and in the glove box.

We then place mouse bait around the perimeter of the warehouse.

All our cars are stored with car covers. We scatter a half box of moth balls on the warehouse floor beneath each vehicle. The cover seems to keep the smell from becoming overwhelming in the atmosphere, but it sure does stink beneath the cover.

the combination works well, knock wood, and we have yet to see any evidence of rodents in the past ten years. knock wood again.

btw, have you ever smelled moth balls?

8. Deuces

Deuces

Not really... I'm too lazy to spread their legs... ;):D

9. Deuces

Deuces

bump.......

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peppermint oil, or better yet...fox urine granules.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

Peanut butter and a good mouse trap is a nice clean way to go to catch Mickey. Cats are the best at what they do, catching mice the only problem is you have to feed them, hair all over, cat shit and they can scratch your car paint up. Most of the time the mice are not looking for food but a nice cozy place to make a nest that's warm.:D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  12. williebill

williebill

I didn't know I had mice in the storage garage until I left a bucket of antifreeze under a car once...must have had a dozen dead mice in it a month later...easy solution if you don't have pets around.

13. blt2go

blt2go

i agree with bobwop...cleanliness. if a mouse can't smell that they or their kind have been there, generally they don't have the want to be there. unfortunately there are alot of exceptions to this one. i prefer a mechanical deterrent coupled with my smelly ones. if the vehicle is going for hibernation i put it on jack stands as high as i can get it. then make rings from aluminum flashing to go around the jack stands. don't use rivets to hold them together this will give the little bastards a foothold to climb up. i use 3m moulding tape. i believe if they can't get there, they won't be there. this does not help if your car cover hangs to the floor though. i think my rings are made from 15" or so flashing. the guy i got this idea from also build rings to set around the bottom of his tires. i don't do that. got a customer car in from a farm shed full of mice. cleaned it up and put it on stands and no mice have returned. my truck on the other hand after being cleaned but sitting on the floor got mice back in. and be careful that flashing is sharp!!!! good luck to all but the mice.

14. The other side of the good cat solution. I ended up laying flattened cardboard boxes to keep my cats from sleeping on my roadster top. They like the high comfortable places. To keep them out of areas where you don't want them (such as if you male cat likes to put his name on your tool box) sprinkle a few coffee grounds on the floor, they hate the smell.

Charlie Stephens

15. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I would like to share a story with you for all those people who swear by internet myths. I had a customer who stored one of those 500k RVs in his outbuilding and used 3 or 4 boxes of dryer sheets, lavender bags and irish spring soap bars and moth balls under the rig and his rv was still infested with rats. Not only did the rats chew and destroy the leather seats and interior they also urinated in it so bad that it was now a health risk "Salmonella" that the vehicle was damaged to the tune of over 100k. The rodents used the dryer sheets for nesting material along with those lavender bags. Please dont mess around with the risk of infecting you or your family with disease and do it right. If dryer sheets,soap,lavender,little tree air fresheners and some of the other stupid myths on here really worked the professional pest control industry would use them, We would not have to use expensive rodenticides.

16. Willy301

Willy301

Maybe you should put out some Irish Spring too, that way they can die clean :D

17. yblock292

yblock292

another thing i have found is to leave the car opened up, doors, truck lid and hood, plus i have one of those ultra-sonic deals that plugs into the wall, seems to work real good.

18. Deuces

Deuces

But my cat loves coffee...

19. billyknockout

billyknockout
    from eastcoast

20. Normbc9

Normbc9

I second DonMan's comments. The Dryer Sheets work like a charm and no offensive odors either. At the end of the winter I pick them up and put them in the Recycle bin.
    Normbc9

21. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I've used the dryer sheets ,moth balls and irish spring soap and still do. I live in the country so this has always been a constant fight. Three sides of my place are surrounded by fields and there is corn silos across the road from me. The thing that has seemed to help the most as crazy as it sounds is leaving a radio on 24-7 playing talk radio. Been doing this 5yrs now. Maybe all the bull from radio know-it-alls drives them crazy lol. That and if I find where they start a nest in something I get rid of it and clean it right away. It seems like a never ending battle in the winter. But I see only a couple a winter now with the radio on. Still use all the other stuff and love the idea of puttin a dead one on popsicle sticks lol. I've tried leaving cats out there but they always end up in our house.

22. GREASER815

GREASER815

I use dryer sheets also. Worked well for me, moth balls suck unless you like the smell I guess.

23. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moth balls make your interior stink, dryer sheets are used for nesting material (not a good idea). I use Irish Spring soap in my car and in my boat. Shave the bar of soap onto a paper plate (front, seat, back seat, under the hood and in the trunk). Never failed me yet and the car smells good in the spring.
    MMM1693

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

While food will attract mice, the lack of food won't keep them away. I have a 36' x 60' building. There is ZERO food in the building. The building sits alone in the woods, nearly 1,000 feet from the nearest human food or trash, and a marsh or creek must be crossed to get there. In spite of that mice have chewed books, paper, plastic, upholstery, rags, and probably more stuff I don't remember at the moment. Even with no food, shelter and nesting are enough to attract mice, and they are more than happy to live in any car they can get into.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. Interesting. I noticed a mouse in my garage the other day so I did a big cleanup but I might try this too.

26. Remember to hide the little plastic helmet from the Sunday's Models kit your building.

Attached Files:

27. I am not sure about mice but rats can't burp, and before the entomologist jumps in with voodoo or internet hoax we proved in my biology class @ Stanford. Put a small bowl of cola in the cage with some rats. Next day dead rats opened them up and ruptured insides.

That said I use rat cakes, they are green and come on a package I think by decon. I get them at Lowes cheap like about 5 or 6 bucks. I like them because my dogs and cats don't like them but I have found them chewed a bit. I don't have a mouse problem although the first year in this house we did. Tried the snap trap thing because that is what I always used, managed to catch my stump tailed cat, I think she was after a mouse.

I have discovered a thing with baits in the past, if you have a rat problem the first rat will piss on the bait. The other rats don't eat it after that.

28. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Cheese and peanut butter in the nosey neighbors garage :)