Register now to get rid of these ads!

Totally insane race car....and you would have to be mad to drive it too

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulatxntric, Aug 14, 2007.

1. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

Badass ,i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

The way I see it the car is nearly 100 years old and it's still here, I don't know about all the drivers but the car seems fine.;)

3. rschilp

rschilp

This is the best picture of the car so far.. great view, and a current tax disc.

That means it's registered and street legal!

4. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Does that make it a "woodie?"

5. bab59

bab59

6. jipp

jipp

wow.. i love it.. iv been playing with wood since a boy.. yay for shop class in grade school and on into high school.. anyhow, if anyone is gonna build a wood frame please.. make sure the wood is strait grain and no run off;s. that weakens the wood. its real easy to see.. just look at the edge of the board and you want the grain to run strait.. iv been building longbows, recurves bows for last 10 years and have learn a lot about wood and how it bends, since thats the whole point of a bow eh.. anyhow, there are lots of good choice for to choose from not just oak.. stay away from red oak.. its brittle in comparison to white.. bamboo is stronger than steel in tension. bamboo frame hmmm. anyhow. if you do use wood be real damn picky.. only take grade AAA. i would use hickory.. :D good bow wood. ok, now mother Teressa bit is over that thing is damn cool.
    chris.

7. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Think it's a Bleriot aero engine and that's a French lump. The frogs were pretty advanced in avionics 1900'ish.
    That would be a hoot on a roundy dirt track

8. nickk

nickk

that car is great, chassis is crazy, id still love to drive it but i wouldnt race it

9. threeston

threeston

so the total loss oil system keep the frame from dry rotting?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It appears that it has its road tax all paid up (or recently expired). This thing still allowed on UK roads?

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

i could believe that about the bamboo...watched a doco on it once where asian workers were using it for scaffolding ...up some really high rise buildings too!!!
    The GN is cool beyond belief and as stated above ..full credit to the owner /driver for using it as it was intended . Top marks i reckon.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

So cool to see this thread again.
    Did the car get running after it broke in that race? Repaired ok?

13. That car is one of THE COOLEST things I have ever seen!

Incredibly inspiring and yep ...............I'd drive it!

Am I the only one who doesn't quite believe it is 100 years old?

I'm thinking "recent build" with "period parts". I certainly believe that there were the skills and materials 100 years ago but something doesn't smell right to me (maybe I'm just too cynical).

Anyway, awesome post. I'd love to see it in action and the workmanship is awesome, regardless of when it was built.

-Pete.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your sense of "smell" leaves a lot to be desired. The car is what it purports to be. May I recommend a history book?

15. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

this is the kind of workmanship and engineering that this world lacks and needs so desperately.i recently visited wash d.c. and went to the american history museum.the steeam engines were amazing.everything was hand built, no computers or cnc machines, just amazing craftsmanship and engineering skills. i was born 80 years too late.my wife literally had to drag me out of there

16. Sure,

I'm game, point me in the direction of a book (or web page even) with a photo of the car in this spec that's from last century even, let alone 100 years ago. I thought there would be plenty but I can't find one.

-Pete.

BTW

I know plenty about J.A Prestwich engines (I'm the third generation in my family to race speedway). I'm just suggesting that the car could have been built this century with a lot of 100 year old components and a GN cyclecar as a donor.

Seems to have made a bit of a splash on the web over the last four or five years but I haven't seen anything from earlier then that.

17. ......................Anybody?

I found an email address for Rick Scaldwell (the cars' owner) and fired off an email asking for his imput. I included a link to this thread, hopefully he chimes in.

-Pete.

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

You raise an interesting point. I find no reference to this car in Ian Dussek's little book, though it mentions a number of GN-based specials, as well as the Zborowski cars, John Bolster's Bloody Mary, and various Napier/Merlin/Kestrel-engined specials. One would think that Dussek would have known about so characterful a car had it been around for any length of time before 1991, when the booklet was written.

I shall maintain an open mind, however, and while doubt persists give this car the benefit of it ...

19. Safer than a rat-rod- heaps more fun.

20. von birch

von birch

man thats badass! id love to see that thing movin

21. doc's

doc's

22. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Boing! Got Wood? It's a real woodie! Good thing you'll never see any of those cheesy bumper stickers on it.

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

It's a recent build by Rick Scaldwell.He has built other cars such as a Riley powered Amilcar.

24. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

25. It was nothing serious just a cracked engine mount on the side that takes all the torque. It was repaired the very next day and as I was helping I was rewarded with a fast run in it [as a passenger]. It was awsome the quickest machine that I have been in of that age. :):)

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

IIRC seasoned oak and ash were a common staple in early cars.

27. holly crap man check out the frame Is that antique engineering or what. I guess the guy didn't know how to weld Hahahahah and used wood instead. I wonder what engine is in that thing. I don't recall ever seeing one like it..Anybody know???

28. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

The closest thing I have seen with my own eyes is old circle track cars in Pa., they had old Harley engines mounted sideways up front forward of the grille, cool as sh*t but nowhere as old or as cool as these!

29. n847

n847

....Total loss oiling system HA HA HA I had one of those (in an 87 Firebird)

Damn I want to drive that thing!

30. Brooky

Brooky

It's a beast alright. Incidentally, the blue car in the background of one of the photos on page 1 of this thread is a 1906 Curtiss aero-engined Mors (one of you enquired as to what it was). Here's a photo with the JAP V8 engined car in the background this time.
    [​IMG]