Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator Repair in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Working on the 32 again. The radiator was not leaking when it was parked 7 years ago. The coolant system had coolant in it all of this time until about three months ago. There is slight evidence of green and blue sulfer marks on the backside where the top tank meets the core.
    It is a 25 year old Walker that always served well, just thought it would be better to error on the side of conservancy and best to get it tested and reworked while doing the engine swap. My thought was I would send it back to the OEM and let them refurbish and send it back.
    Called Walker to today and explained in complete honesty what I wanted to do. Since it is 25 years old, I did not ask for any freebies or deals, just if they would pressure test and repair accordingly. The tech said, that they would do it for 150.00 and I pay shipping both ways.
    He then asked if it had the pointed top tank. I told him that I was at work and never really looked at the top tank that close. He then stated that they would not "patch it" that they were very honest and once it got there if it was not repairable they would call me and let me know. I don't beleive it needs a "patch' at all. just a little TLC.
    This whole scenario is beginning to sound like a plan or scam that once the radiator gets there to tell me it is non-repairable and sell me one of their new high-zoot units.
    To this end, anyone know of a good radiator shop around Indy that can test, repair as needed, and retest a 25 year old Walker at a reasonable rate and fair amount of time. the internet has a fews shops listed but I am looking for someone on here who has had first hand experience with a local shop.

Thanks,

2. dan sutton

dan sutton

John
    West Radiator at the intersection of Troy and West st on the south side repaired the radiator in my '48 Chevy truck. Very reasonable, although he did state that his main business is heavy equipment radiators. Don't remember his name but it is a small shop. He restores tractors so tell him you like old tractors and it might help! :) My only experience. I do need to take my heater core to him and see if he will repair the leak in it.

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

John, Any radiator work I have goes to Pauls Auto radiator on tibbs. No matter if it is daily driver, or hot rod related. He is fair, and honest in all my dealings with him. Small one man shop. Just south of tibbs and morris on the left if you are going south on tibbs.

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

X 2 (or 3 or 4). Paul has fixed a lot of stuff for me over the years and you couldn't ask for anybody to treat you better and do it right. Of course if you're looking for "artistry" you might check out Steve Long. (I understand he's moved from Gasoline Alley to his home-up in the Eagle Creek area.)

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I last used Peters Radiator shop in Franklin to rebuild a 57 radiator. 363 Province Ave #736-5764. I have no complaints

6. 1959apache

1959apache

I have a local guy in Mooresville that will do it for pretty cheap for me and he does a great job. If you need me to get some firm prices let me know.

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Make that three for Pauls Radiator, tells it like it is and does a good job, has done a ton for me over the years............
    Tell him "Bubba" sent ya , might cost ya more........??