Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you know you NEED that 65!! A 65 Comet roadster drag car would be TOO KOOL!! I have a nice cross ram that would be perfect for it!! I know a guy that has a fab shop down in Pomona,could probably do the fab work in his spare time between match races!! Fast Eddie;that would be great,Thank You!! ROY.

2. Dale, I have a pic somewhere of a 65 comet roadster. Not sure if it was a prototype or a custom. Being a big fan of 57,56,57 t-bird, makes also like the idea of a 65 roadster.
    I looked in my computer files and did not find it so mabe I have it in an old car mag.
    Roger

3. Judd

Judd

just for Tweaked

Attached Files:

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

......or you could recreate the showcar Winfield did for Mercury.:D

[​IMG]

5. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

6. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks to Ken, an old shot of what could be??

7. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

What year Falcon? I missed out on the '64 eBay Comet.

8. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Dale

Not that I'm trying to start bad behavior, But that would be Awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you would need to build a roadster style cage but you could cover it like the one in the color photo!!Maybe Fast Eddie would loan you his old school Top Fuel mask and goggles!! ROY

11. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

12. Thanks Judd.

Here you go Dale a pic of the Winfield comet.

[​IMG]

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;from that angle it looks all out of proportion,needs to be shortened or maybe those swoopy head rests like a 61/63 T-Bird!! I think Dale NEEDS another project! ROY.

14. Roy, like this one?
    [​IMG]
    or this?
    [​IMG]

I like the 64 style better.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

I finally got all my parts for fabricating my adjustable lower control arms,let the fun begin!Sure glad we have a couple of months off from racing! Larry;I like those head rests too,I had forgotten the mid 60s birds had them too. ROY.

16. Just noticed that Roy has taken extreme weight lose measures on his car. He has drilled holes in the hood hinges!:cool:
    [​IMG]

17. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Did you also see the holes in the upper shock mounts?

18. 65COMET

65COMET

I keep telling you guys that I am "OLD SCHOOL",the more you look the more holes you will find!! It probably only adds up to a few ounces,it is more a "STYLE" than anything else!Wish I had that much room under hood now!I need to post some pictures of the new old truck engine installation! ROY.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Ounces add up to pounds, my friend!!

I stumbled onto something the other day, in the topic of saving weight.
    I'm eliminating the heavy Cragars for a time, and stumbled upon these rims. Both Jegs and Summit sell them. Setting up these for a friend, they came polished, but I had them coarsely sandblasted and they came out really cool!!

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

They weighed considerably less than my current combo. So- I ordered up a front set of 15x4's for the Comet. They look like Halibrandish, U.S. Indy-ie, when they are cast. I'm taking it a step further, to create the patina'd magnesium look. I found just the right mix of paint. But I do have a question for all of you. After blasting, if I wanted to sand down the lip, what would be a good grit to get that machined look back??? Thanks for advice. I think these would look great, and be a low cost alternative for us "budget" minded folk. Has anyone seen the cost of a real genuine set of Halibrands? Or- even the new Real Rodders wheels?? Yikes!!

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;my friend that restores old cast wheels uses emery paper in 120 or so grit,then goes to a finer grade,maybe 220,puts them on an old wheel balancer to spin them.The wheels on Todd's Comet and Joel's Mopar are painted to look like Magnesium.It is your car so do what YOU want,but I like the Cragars!I don't think you will notice much change in your ET by changing wheels. ROY.

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Vintage Picture 64 A/FX Update Early 64

Found another pic of the White Lightning Comet, Over on Face book.Up until now I couldnt read who the driver was? Two man team? Looks like some new lettering on the fender. Wish we can find more. Damn Cool Comet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;that is a great picture,fairly clear for a copy out of a magazine! Have you seen the Mercury Comet 65 group on FB? ROY.

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Another Vintage 64 A/FX Comet pic. I always liked this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like Tom was running the front Halibrands before the craze in 65, Looking Good

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool that both these Comets won at two different tracks on the Same day. 64 Comets kicking some Ass. Looks like they were doing pretty well against the 64 Plymouths to me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  25. Mike Benz, Al Heinkel & Johnny Geist with their wicked fast straight axle B/MP Injected 337CI. Chevy powered '64 Mercury Comet....known as "THE HAIRY CANARY"......

[​IMG]

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Too bad it was scrub powered!

27. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That was from Sturm came to the south from the west coast for some regional racing in 64. Ashley Dabbs was local here from Dabbs Motors (the Plymouth, Chrysler, and Dodge dealer).

Ashley Dabbs actually first had the 65 Plymouth that Butch Leal drove. He got it and altered the wheelbase against corporates wishes and they took the car back, fixed it to the original wheelbase and gave it Leal. The rest is history.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

29. Chevy:mad: