Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 Link Install on 54 Chevy Car/J BROS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cain, Nov 17, 2011.

1. cain

cain
    from riverside

One of this weeks 2 link installs at the shop was Dave" skittles" Cervantes 54 chevy post. it came to us with the o.g. close drive but he wanted it LOW, so we decided to move the rear end back 1 3/8" to center it in the wheel well. by doing this, it should prevent the drive shaft from jamming the tranny, a common problem when you slammit with tall blocks, minus a few leafs. we recommend a 2 piece drive shaft to eliminate the monster tunnel problem that occurs with most low cars. keep an eye out for the J.B.C. close drive yoke conversion coming soon.
    www.JIMENEZBROSCUSTOMS.com
    951-781-1268

Attached Files:

2. That's cool. How did you mount the axle on the rear bars? What is your close drive yoke conversion going to allow you to do? An open drive shaft on a stock tranny?

3. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

nice and simple looks great and looooow

4. cain

cain
    from riverside

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I don't get moving the rear 1 3/8" to the rear? I know the GM AD P/U are off but even the cars or does dropping it to the ground make center look off?

6. 54metalman

54metalman

Are we working on a classic custom or a freakin mini truck??????

7. cain

cain
    from riverside

There is 2 reasons .first is to center it in the wheel opening and second is to prevent jamming the torque tube into the tranny..As far as a mini truck i never owned 1 nor seen 1 with a closed driveline....

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I understood "your" reasons from the first post so I will simplify my question;
    The stock rear centerline, is it centered or not from the factory?
    If it was centered AND you moved it back 1 3/8" doesn't that look "out of wack" or maybe it doesn't matter because you are running skirts?
    To run your soon to be available yoke conversion you will have to run skirts because modified center line will be to the rear 1 3/8" from factory ?
    Not knocking your workmanship or product just trying to learn something!

9. garagebuilt51

garagebuilt51

Moving it back recenters it. with a 2 link you get a little more arc (depending on length of bars) than a 4 link. even though it has tall blocks its already on the forward swing because the imaginary line from front pivot to axle center isn't parallel to the ground.

looks good and is a easy way to save the floor under the back seat

10. chopt49

chopt49

^^^^
    Chill out man... why do you even waste time posting let alone reading this thread, move on!

-------

Great work on the '54 - looks sweet. keep posting pics!

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Nice work man, I built custom trailing arms for mine (approx 5') like c-10 trucks. This style suspension works great for these cars as you dont have to cut up the floor and the pinion angle change is very little during all its movement.

12. cain

cain
    from riverside

Garagebuilt51 beat me to your QUESTION. thank you...and Chevy54 you got nice rides ive seen your post.
    WWW.JIMENEZBROSCUSTOMS.COM

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx man..much appreciated!!

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I am no more enlightened than before I asked the questions.............................slow learner I guess!

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahah...yes that question was kinda over looked I think bro.... Im not sure what the measurment is but the cars as well as the trucks you mentioned are both off set to the front. Whether you use trailing arms or order new leafs they all set rear axle back.

16. grynder

grynder

I think your work and kit are great but your camera skills.... I'm just messing with you but can you post some good pics of the install? I was just researching this kit so this is perfect timing.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

18. cain

cain
    from riverside

theres and install video on You Tube...under JIMENEZ BROS CUSTOMS... My bro and a firend did one on a truck.
    video skill are as good as the camera pics....

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cain, thanks for sharing, the more I see this set up, the more I want one. I looked at the website but it needs helps.. not much info. what rearends can be used (does it take a 3" tube (axle housing) like a 9" or will a rearend out of a S-10 4x4 work (I think those are smaller diameter)

Also, when the front gets lowered, does the bolt in crossmember (front arm mounting location) hit the ground (since it is bolted below the frame)

One more question, how much does the step go above the factory frame rail (how much is the floor raised)

20. jbc jobe

jbc jobe

hey boones
    the perches are set up for 3" tubes, but ive centered up and welded smaller tubes.only the trucks47-59 sit below the frame but thats cause they have running boards.cars sit roughly 1/4" above bottom of frame on the cars and notches vary 5-6"s. i also recommend a 2 piece drive shaft for little or no tunnel. hope this helped.

21. cain

cain
    from riverside

im working on web site and pics now

22. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

23. cain

cain
    from riverside

24. Thank you friends! I see that a stone thrown into the lake of reasoning. )))))) fun! But the question remains, what is better? 4 or 2.

25. husky56

husky56

Looks great man... Nice work.

26. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I went by this shop on the cali trip with dennis, and learned alot from these guys, they do some awsom work and are great guys. Dennis is going to have me install one of their 2 link set-ups under his buick. the JIMENEZ bros, were very kool guys and ended up giving the system to dennis FREE, so as I get this installed I will post pics. I wanted to buy a couple c notch kits from cain , but he wouldn't take any money. I am very appreciative of the goods these guys gave to us kansas boys, and am very excited about learning more about chassis work, and will relate to all as these projects get underway as to ease of install. thanks cain and jobe, you guys are great. Loved your sop and look foreward to stopping by again. and If your ever in kansas stop by, would love to have you.

27. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So did the closed drive yoke conversion ever come about? This is the only time I've ever heard of it.

28. RTi04

RTi04

Forgive my ignorance, but is this style suspension an improvement over stock, or is it just that it allows you get really low without the typical problems?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

29. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I guess it all depends on your goals. You can only go so low with leaves before either they're inverted or you have so much block your scrub line is shot

RTi04 likes this.