Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's getting cold out, how do you heat your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Rem

Rem

I'm not allowed to play with fire...:eek:

2. S.F.

S.F.

well so far the cheepest way Ive seen to do it is buy a wood burning stove from Tractor Supply...just bought one last night for 250 bucks...gonna run a outlet for the smoke and see how warm it gets in there, hopefully pretty warm

3. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I've been giving some thought to a pellet stove. Only one reply so far talking about his pellet/corn stove. Anybody else have anything to say about them? Everything I've read and seen is good. They're cheap to run, sealed, no big flue pipe, can be thermostatically controled. Is there a down side? My garage is 28x40 and sheet rocked/insulated FWIW.

4. Mogger

Mogger

Dumb ass question of the day... something I was wondering about? I have a standard old natural gas furnace in the shop, do I need to run a filter in it? The discussion came up the other day with some buddies. Some figure its needed and others think it doesn't need one. Any thoughts?

5. My parents garage (where my project is stored) has the house surrounding two sides of it, as well as a second floor above it. It stays fairly warm on it's own, so I just use a little 220 space heater to cut the chill.

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

My garage got down to 67 degrees last night, thank God for my Parka:D

7. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I have a propane furnace however for its cost plus the propane I could have reused my 7500W electric heater and probably saved quite a bit over the years. Big yes to the filter, and check it often:(

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. I run one on my oil fired furnace. Stops most of the dust form circulating in the garage, as well plugging up the bearings in the fan motor and squirrel cage, and "firebox".

9. Lucky3

Lucky3

30 x 50 shop, well insulated and use a 40ft long Infrared natural gas heater.
    89% energy efficient. Adds $25/month on average to our gas bill. Keep it on 58 all winter long.

10. 56effie

56effie

Running a 85,000 BTU Reznor hanging unit. 1,032 Sq Ft shop.. Works great in the fridged South Dakota winters...

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Central heat & air.

12. No Plan

No Plan

I heat my 36'x64'x10' shop/garage w/ hot water in the floor. I love it, no cold feet! I leave it at 66 F. all winter, unless I'm painting something... It felt good in there today as it's starting to get cold & snowing a little outside. Iowa winters suck!

13. billy zz

billy zz

i just dress like i am going ice fishing....

14. Has anyone tried the Eden Pure electric heater. It's quartz infrared
    system. Any thoughts?

15. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

I bought this Homelight 125000 btu 800cfm a couple years ago for 20.00 not working at the swap meet.
    This unit is from the early 70s...would not fire...

it wound up being the 2 wire electric eye that shuts the unit down if it doesn't see flame..

I tried adjusting it, nothing worked so I clipped the wires, and it fired right up, works great.

I still need to get an electric eye for it..(they're cheap) I don't leave it running unattended.

You might try that on your unit..worst case you can butt connect the wires back up.

(DISCLAIMER) :)If that works, make sure and replace the electric eye it is a safety feature....

Also when you test fire it, make sure the top is back on and screwed down. it has to have airflow to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  16. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I have an up right wood burning stove cylinder. I think she's 70-90 years, works real good in a single detached garage with a grandfathered man pit and chimney.

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ha.

I just wear extra layers of clothes and suffer through it.

iPhone - TJJ app

18. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I have a pellet stove I heat the house with. It works well and would easily heat a garage. Stay away from corn unless you're a farmer, it's more expensive than pellets because of the ethanol scam.
    We have one we use to heat a bedroom. I don't think it would work well at all in a garage full of cold steel.

19. captmullette

captmullette

me too..... a friend was going to throw it out, works good

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Some great knowledge on this thread. I have yet to get heat in my garage but my insurance company will not allow a wood stove in it. I am really limited to propane, we do not have NG and electric is just way to expensive.

Thanks for sharing your stories on this issue.

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

30,000 BTU LP gas heater....(On far wall upper right).
    My garage/shop is 26x36 and I insulated/finished the walls, as well as insulation for ceiling. Also use have three ceiling fans, and use an extra fan (Can be seen in picture) if I need it...usually not....
    Works very well, can go from ~40* to a comfortable 62* in about 20 minutes on a below zero day.....on real cold winter days, I keep it set at ~40* to prevent my stuff from freezing..... Only problem is when painting, as it is a non vented unit, and will stink for a few days afterward....It is a very inexpensive unit, and does the job very well...
    Cheers....

[​IMG]

22. mow too much

mow too much

I have an old 70,000 BTU Dayton overhead heater hooked to propane, and did I say I hate winter.:(
    [​IMG]

23. chris55

chris55

I moved from Ohio to Florida, plenty warm in the garage.

24. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

If you don't have in floor heat then about the best bet for an over sized shop is to use infared tube heaters. I have a 40x40 foam insulated shop open to the peak (12' to trusses) that heats easily with a 70k btu tube heater. Garage doors are weather stripped and of coarse insulation is a major part of the formula.

25. Mac_55

Mac_55

My shop is a 28x30 . I ran out of money building it so i didnt have enough to finish or insulate the walls or put a ceilling in it . However i did score a hot blast forced air wood furnace off craigslist for 100 bucks and man does it work . The other night i had some buddys over for a card game . it was 20 degrees outside and i had it up to 72. Hoping i can get a ceilling in it this summer and really make it boil . I was surprised when i found it on craigslist for 100 , it sells at the local farm store for 1600.
    upper right corner
    [​IMG]

26. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Stay away from corn unless you are a farmer. Well, I am a farmer and I also recommend you stay away from corn! Corn is an expensive commodity if you are a farmer or not. Farmers I know sell the corn and buy cheap L.P.! Ethanol is not entirely a scam, truths are stretched on both sides of the issue, I know them all but that is getting political and we don't do that here on the H.A.M.B.!!!

27. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

My shop is in the lower level of a 1800's barn. I have replaced all the windows with modern used windows, some new. I have insulated the ceiling with some recycled 4" styrofoam panels, from a refrigeration bldg. For heat I use a carrier oil fired furnace, I got it from a job we converted to gas, it also has a new heat exchanger. I am in the hvac business, and have got several free pump outs of unused oil on conversion jobs. My brother made a transfer pump from a pontiac power steering pump. Pumps out a 200 gallon tank in no time. I suppose I'll do something different when the free oil runs out, but for now this is great. Another nice part about this barn, the front side is in the ground, so it stays fairly warm. Has to be below zero for 4-5 days to get below 32 degrees in the shop, cool in the summer. You guys with the torpedo heaters, put a c.o detector in the shop, those things scare me. Stay warm, Mark

Attached Files:

28. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I use a torpedo heater in my 26x40 garage. Garage is insulated pretty good. But after paying $4.28 a gallon for kerosene this morning, I need to go another route!

29. MistShift

MistShift

150,000 BTU Construction heater...was CNG now propane. 45x65 century barn with 32' peak... gotta be in the same vicinity as the heater when really cold... have reached for wrenches on cold morning and had them stick to my skin, kind of like licking frozen steel. Yep, did that too.