Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 40 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anythinggm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Well couple of weeks ago I purchased this completely stock 1940 Plymouth coupe from fellow hamb'r 117harv's father. I've wanted a coupe for a long time, and am very excited to own it..Story was that it spent most of its life in Nevada area before Harv Sr. acquired it, so its a very dry and solid car.
    Harv Sr. said the car had ran good, but that 3rd gear was lazy and sometimes engaged and sometimes didn't. and that also under load would pop out. He was having trouble getting the car to start recently and had mostly been sitting for the last couple of years.
    After getting the car home and doing some assessing I found low compression in one of the cyl's. So with motor and trans problems that equaled a need for major repairs or find a usable donor implant.
    So being on a tight budget and not wanting to get to involved in a major motor and trans upgrades, I did a search on Craigslist and to my amazement, found a flathead 6 out of same year and model from Washington with low miles on it. So struck a deal with the owner and acquired the donor. Not exactly the first task I wanted to perform on the car, but I did it and its done and running like a sewing machine.
    So future plans are to work on suspension upgrades, disk brakes up front, and getting the nose bleed section closer to the ground (way closer to the ground) and some body work and some fresh paint...I've got my fingers and toes crossed to win the Gambino notch and dropped uprights giveaway drawing....So stay tuned...

Attached Files:

2. Nice project. Keep us posted. Todd

3. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Mopars have Great lines...

4. exterminator

exterminator

I wished i could of enjoyed my car with the stock drivetrain.It would have saved me some money and time.

5. chuxx

chuxx

I've got one of those too! Not near as nice, though. You're living right to find one not carved up. Is it a P9 or P10? Pics of the rear quarter windows and interior would be great if you get a chance. Congrats on the find.

6. hkestes

hkestes

7. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

8. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I'm still learning Plymouths, I've never had one before..I believe mine is a P10. its a biz coupe, no jump seats, just all trunk space..

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great car, I tried to trade my car and a motorcycle for one a few months ago. I would love to get my hands on one.

10. Gearhead24seven

Gearhead24seven

Hey Buddy! happy to see you start a build thread on the 40 Plymouth! After seeing the last few cars you've turned out have been nothing short of amazing & the '52 Buick with the fully detailed out straight 8 that was at Billetproof in Antioch 2 years ago defiantly pushed it all over the top! Hope you're picked for the Gambino / Fat Man giveaway, 'cuz it would be awesome to see it all done!

11. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see you've started a build thread, these are great cars to work on in my opinion. And yours looks to be in a good condition. Good luck with the build. Subscribed. :D

12. 1959apache

1959apache

Hell of a nice car! Can't wait to see what you are up to on this build.

13. 40' plymouth coupes rock! i was looking at the car for a buddy and he couldn't make up his mind so i stepped aside. keep the pic's coming.

14. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Great car! Cant wait to see where you go with it!

15. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thanks guys, its alot of fun for sure..Currently Im just trying to get it up to par in its current state..I want to drive it so bad...I've had to go through the entire brake system since its been sitting so long all the wheel cyls froze up. So I have the fronts done and bleed, but still need to do the rears. Also I'm 90% done with the 12v conversion and switching from positive ground to negitive ground..(still not sure what the point was for positive ground) but anyways its coming right along..
    I've replaced some bushings and grommets and got my shift linkage firmed up so its not like shifting a spegehtti string..Clutch feels real good...So I'm getting real close to a "maiden voyage"...

16. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

If you still have problems with the trans, I have a few of them.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

did you do a compression test of the original engine? these have a tendancy to have valves hang up after a period of non use. Some times they will free up with a couple of heat cycles and sometime you need to pull the head and play whack a mole while some one cranks the engine.

the transmission issue is likely a shifter rod out of adjustment and not pulling the lever into the detent all the way. The bushing on the steering colume can get ovaled out enough to keep the linkage from completing its full travel.

The P9 (road king) was the down market model line, mechanically identical but not trimed out as nicely. Since your car has moveable vent wings it is mostlikely a P10.

Engine numbers for both series began with P10. The number can be found on a flat boss on the block just above teh generator. The p10 engine is a 201 cu in rated at 84 HP at 3600 rpm. They are long stroke motors that make torque, and don't like a lot of high revs.

Make sure you read the stuff on brakes and adjusting them on the P15 D24 main pages. It can be found under works in progress in the navigation buttons. Adjustment is a bit different than normal and pedal free play is crtitical also. Additionally, shine a light into the MC. You should be able to see 2 holes in the bottom of the reservoir. One to feed the piston and a smaller one to provide relief when the brakes are released. Also maks sure you leave a bit of room in the MC for fluid expansion and that the cap vent is clear.

If you read a bit about electricity its preffered path is from negative to positive so a lot of cars used positive ground until some radio maufacturers decided to use negative ground as a standard.

Good luck with your coupe.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  18. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thanks for all the info Plym 46 and i'm sure you are exactly right on the stuck valve. Harv Sr. mentioned that he had been fighting a stuck valve on the motor..My plans are to rebuild the original engine in leisure time. Both motors do have the P10 engine Id #'s. The trans shifting problem I believe I found as well while I was pulling the motor and trans out of the car. The trans mounts where absolutely GONE..So that allowed the trans to sag which through of the linkage throw.
    The new donor motor and trans run and shift great..

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If and when you post on the P15 D24 board make sure you note your location. There are several active members in the great Northwest, you may have some nearby.

20. Bout time you get a thread up Keeth! ;) hahah looks good man.

21. That is a GREAT car. I read that ad 100 times. Glad your keeping the drivetrain stock.

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Worked tonight in the freezing temps for a little bit. Was able to get the rear wheel cyls removed and tore apart for a rebuild..Should have them back together and back on the car tomorrow afternoon...Then should be able to drive it for the first time..Woo-hoo!!..But in the mean time im saving and scrapping up every penny i can find to purchase my fatman dropped uprights and scarbird disc brake setup for the front..Still hoping to win the Gambino giveaway though..

23. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Well i was able to rebuild the rear wheel cyls today and reinstalled them on the car. I started to bleed the cyls and discovered the rear soft hose is shot...Stupid move on my part I should have checked its condition or better yet just replaced it..the front ones are already new from the previous owner..So this week I will be trying to locate a new soft hose.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I hate when that oversight happens to me as well. Looking good for sure. They are a blast to drive, make sure you post a video. I think the 46-48 plymouth may have the same soft hose, I know the shocks are the same. I have some adjustable air shocks off the back of mine from a 46-48 plymouth.

25. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Well finally found some time for some progress on the coupe. I was able to get a new rear brake hose from a local parts house. Installed it and bleed the brakes Saturday..One step Closer to the "First Drive"

Attached Files:

26. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Well today was the BIG day... The First Drive....It was AWESOME>>>>..
    Here is the Youtube video for you guys to enjoy.. A spin around the hood..

http://youtu.be/Qy3HhvNos6Y

27. 117harv

117harv

28. Orn

Orn

Looking good!

29. Weasel

Weasel

Of course if you've been really good and Santa is feeling nice....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Weasel, That is a sweet piece of engine candy there..I would love that with a twin throat intake and dual exhaust to match under my Christmas tree...LOL