Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth, It's time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 3, 2011.

1. Wow man kicking ass on your car..looking good man..im still scavenging parts to put mine under the knife..can't wait to see yours done..

2. thinkfink

thinkfink

wow! more pictures please.

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Well finally a little update with some pictures. I have been super busy at home and work for the last month or so, new business venture, etc. Got a few things done though which include.

-Fuel lines ran from tank to carb, with some tricky dicky bends- came out bitchin, 2 filters even with new tank.

-Plumbed my brake lines from prop valve back and installed my MC/Booster unit and pedal.

-Gas pedal installed and feels niiiiice where its at. Also installed my kick down cable while I was there (hassle)

-Got my pulley fiasco straightened out and belt installed.

-Installed gauge cluster

-Installed Gennie shifter and linkage is smooth as silk.

-Installed new drive shaft, yolk, u-joints.

-Did complete rear drum brake job (cylinders, hardware, shoes, turned rotors.

-Put front seat in and mounted fuse block, ready to start wiring soon.

-Still have to bend and install Trans lines, water hoses and wiring before I can take her in for exhaust. Im sure I forgot a few things, but she is closer than ever.

Sorry I havent updated my build thread, I Got tired of taking pics and just want to drive. Here are a couple I snapped just now though. Not a whole lot to look at, but Im getting there.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      221.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      239 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    Richard Hartman likes this.
  4. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see you've made great progress. Looking forward to seeing the car (and you of course) at the end of March in Del Mar. Keep up the good work!

5. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

This build is turning out awesome, great job. I dig the whole thing, its spot on!!
    Do you mind sharing where you purchased the 4 link and frame notches from? Thanks

6. farmer12

farmer12

How's the Plymouth coming along?

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

didnt see this for a while, and i really like the profile, the chop came out bad ass.

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

coming along great! Will be firing her up this week. Decided to section my oil pan about an inch for proper ground clearance and also got carried away with wiring, solder, shrink wrap and grounds.

Hauled ass through the big stuff and taking my time with the details. Gonna be great. Simple, clean and very much a driver. Will be driving to the GNRS - thats the plan anyway :)

9. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you've been busy. Have you got any pics? Would be good to see what it looks like now!

10. 73RR

73RR

Are you compensating for the loss of capacity?

11. speed v8

speed v8

some more pics would good. keen to see how it looks.

12. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

I love this year plymouths, looking foward to seeing it finished.

13. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im losing less than a quart, so Ill probably watch my temp and change my oil accordingly. If I have any issues at all, Ill add an inline filter or fab the pan wider at the bottom. I did the same thing to another pan and had no issues at all.

Ill post some pics once I get her out of the garage.

That makes two of us! :)

14. Car

Car
    from the desert

love these Plymouths. Severely underrated in my opinion. Looking good there bud.

15. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Oh, you'd be surprised how many of the old girls are still around...some of them with more doors than others!

16. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Not trying to bogart the thread - Still got those parts cars?..I could use the center trim strip for the nose and a working speedo!

17. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

SlmLrd, what do you plan on doing for the hood....keep it the same{2pc} or mod it?
    I saw the new wiring harness in your pic...painless? I really need to rewire my touring sedan, the wiring is missing insulation all over the place{s}...mine's still all stock though.

18. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im going to keep it a 2 piece hood for now. have a set of hood hinges for when/if I decide to make it a 1 piece. I took apart and cleaned up the latching mechanisms and they work pretty good now.

I used a Rebel Wire kit for the 2nd time. Great kit, super simple and quality. Couldn't be happier.

I am an upper radiator hose, tail light grounds and fuel tank sending unit wire away from initial start up. So close I can taste it. The Holidays and family first have been in full effect for that past couple of months, so the build has been slowed down. Cant wait to button her up and pull her off the jack stands!!

Heres a couple of pics from last night. I know, same ole shit from the outside. :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      411.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      271.5 KB
      Views:
  19. chuxx

chuxx

x2 on the Rebel Kit, great customer service too. Looking good!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see some pics, looking good! Can't wait to see it at Del Mar next year!

21. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Finished up a bunch of things over the past 2 days. Got suspension buttoned up and fired the motor for the first time!! She sounds like a beast and runs well with straight headers (will post a video)

I am having a few issues with my gauge wiring that I am taking care of now, but we have ignition, full of fluids, no leaks and the air system is cycling perfectly. Damn thing is ready to drive as soon as I can see my oil pressure and temp :)

Once everything mechanically is solid, Im going to the shop for exhaust and bodywork, glass and paint. Slowly but surely.

Attached Files:

• zzxz.jpg
      zzxz.jpg
      File size:
      316.2 KB
      Views:
  22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Awesome!!! Great news..ya gotta love progress,,I was able to drive my for the first time Sunday afternoon..Still holding a grin on my face..Only downfall is the desire for more more more modding and updating..unfortunantly my wallet says no no no!! at this time..

23. zombie77

zombie77

time for me to start back up on mine also

24. plmczy

plmczy

Don't know how I missed this one, subscribing to it. Looking good.

25. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

cant wait to see thing thing man!!!!

26. 1959apache

1959apache

cool dude, finally getting some real satisfaction is nice. Looking forward to seeing it

27. zombie77

zombie77

looking for a door for a 40 41 Plymouth coupe passenger side the car was a hard top tuning it back to a 5 window last owner cut off top of doors

28. skoh73

skoh73

Awesome progress man! First time since the very start that I have checked out how it is coming along- I love this ride. I loved your Ford too, but this is fantastic. Looking forward to more!

29. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Love the look of these Plymouth coupes, so underrated. Much better looking than the 40's Ford for sure. Nice work!

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

It really looks sharp man. Cngrats.