Register now to get rid of these ads!

hey bodymen!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wombat barf, Nov 28, 2011.

1. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

anyone can replace a panel but what's the absolutely most jacked/beat/whooped/warped panel you have ever saved? pics PLEASE!

2. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

dont have pics but i worked in an autobody shop 20 yrs ago and got the unenviable task of repairing the pass door of a chrysler K car that should have been replaced. it was hit so hard that the window would stop against the inner structure beam in the door. i ended up chaining the front and back edge of the door through the dr door opening to uprights on the frame machine so i wouldn't pull the door off the car and drilled holes through the beam and bolted a plate to it which i pulled with the air over hyd. pulldozer. after I got it to the point that the window would roll up and down the outer skin was so work hardended I couldn't get it straight. of course I kept hearing about how few hours the boss had figured to fix and how I needed to hurry. to fill the door fast I mixed up a big batch of tiger hair and after sloping it all over the door i used a straight edge the same length as the door to level it! one fill using the same trick with ultralight filler then an air board sander and I was ready to prime and spot putty. although it looked good when done I hated to do butcher work like that but sometimes your forced to by other forces. didn't sign my name to that job!

3. got no pics either on laptop
    used to do all kinds of straightening on quarters with frame jacks and pull tabs, also made all my own patches with the air chisel and used hoods
    i owned my own shop so i got all the profits or lack of profits, could bondo anything to look good. once did the lower 1/2 of a f6 front fender with a 5 gal thinner can

even did a 1960 IMPALA SHOW CAR no profit there, but was young and did not want to work for anyone else went broke and was a heavy equip mech for about 3 years and went back to body work , then went to college for about 7years am a slow learner then came back and got into boat restoration with a vengence all fiberglass, had several employees then they were mostly clear base and multicolor made so much i bought a pipe bender and got into exhaust!!!!!:D

hey i went to a good school and got some equipment had some ambition [and PTSD] AND WENT AT IT proabbly was a fun time in my life but a lot of hours and a lot of hard work and body is mostly worn out because of it:cool:

4. toddc

toddc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Before:
    [​IMG]
    During:
    [​IMG]
    Bumping practice over:
    [​IMG]
    Panel replaced instead:
    [​IMG]

6. blt2go

blt2go

grew up in a body shop. been doing it off and on my whole life. running my own shop and doing it 24/7 for over 10 years. some of the stuff on here still amazes me. i have to admit the old steel is so much better for being able to straighten an otherwise trashed piece. try that with some of the new stuff and it just tears apart. alot of finesse and patience in this work. pay doesn't reflect it, but i wouldn't choose another profession. no pics but love the thread.

7. darkk

darkk

Really wish I had pics...back in 1968. I worked for a guy that believed in *bondo* instead of parts. He bought a totaled 67 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr monster. It was dinged all down the right side, the drivers side was hit down the whole side. It was in about 4-5 inches the full length. My boss said fix it..no parts! Anyways, I had only the front of the driver door edge to go by. I took 3 1/2 days of just roughing the side profile out with a pipe style Kansas Jack. Some of you old timers know what that is right? It was rough, and I do mean rough. I used about 1/2 gallon of plastic on the right side. I used 11 1/2 gallons on the drivers side!! He wouldn't buy anything! When I was done, the lines were perfect! Painted and sent it out. I think it should have had helpers on the left side though...hahahaha!:D

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Been saving them for along time now, dont take many pics of them, really dont want to remember them LOL. I guess my merc I am building is one of the worst, sure as hell didnt look it when I started on the damn thing! Looked like a good car! Friggin' thing had rust everywhere! I have replaced metal on this car till I am blue in the face, kinda tired of taking progress pics of it cause they all look the same. Jim

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't know too many old metalmen who took pictures of their work, in progress! I know over the last fourty years I didn't, and now kick myself. Some befores & afters of rebuilt totals, front & rear clip jobs & some frame work, but sadly no panelwork pictures that I can recall.
    If you're the guy swinggin' the hammer & torch you usually didn't have time to reach for the "Kodak Brownie'' or "Instamatic" The great thing 'bout the HAMB is that today jus''bout everybody takes photos!

Badly crushed and torn panels are sometimes best cut off the vehicle & straightened on the bench once some alignment has been done to them. "If'' your a pretty good metalman & good witha torch you can do most of the bumping, dining & some metalfinishing whyle the panels' still on the bench.

" Life ain't no Disney Movie "

10. Don't have pics either but did alot of straightin in the ol days when panels where expensive and labor was cheap. On the show, American pickers, the boys where hunting for nascar memoribilia and they found a caved door from a Richard Petty car. When i saw it it reminded me of we fixed stuff like that. Maybe not quite that severe but we would take the door off, clamp it at both ends and stretch it on a porty frame puller. Worked pretty good.

11. Old&Low

Old&Low

Didn't take many pictures when I was doing it for a living, but I do remember in the early 80's the passenger side door jamb/front quarter of a '70 Camaro that was SO 'wrinkled' and slammed that the best way to fix it was cut out most of the jamb and front of the quarter, work it, and weld it back it. That was no big deal but the comical part was when I cut it out I found a prior 'repair' (I use the term lightly) next to it that someone had merely filled with a variety of crap (including steel wool and even a beer can) and then bondoed over with no attempt whatsoever to pull or fix the dent. That sucker had to have been 5 or 6 inches deep! What some people will call 'bodywork' is beyond me.

12. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

very nice work.....

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I've posted this one quite a bit and here it is again,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost wished I had another one to do as this was actually a fun project,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no cuts welds patches or bondont. Factory metal coaxed back into proper placement!

Turned out pretty good I think.

14. SUCIO

SUCIO

Wow. Thats some talent right there. Good job

15. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Damn, wish I had that kind of talent.

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

man i wish i wasnt on my phone so i could see some of these pics. i dont have pics but when i was going to wyotech some kids thought it was funny to drive over the ''learning'' cars w their lifted trucks. lets just say i had to fix a bunch of shit that all should have been replaced. mind you it was a kia. so that metalwas super thin. i learned real quick how metal worked:)

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

had to fix a Range Rover aluminum quarter panel that was lookin like a piano accordian that 1 was a bit tricky to shrink into shape..:D:eek:

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Is this a wing for a Holden or early Olds?

good job on the rebuild!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tinman,

Great job of savin the roof of that Pontiac!
    Most today would think the only way out was to cut the A&C posts & replace it. A step by step post of the repair of a panel like this to include proper damage analysis, and different methods of repair would make a great post!

Good luck doing a repair like that on today's vehicles with doubled walled construction & urethane foam sound insulation;)

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

20. Incredible!!

21. toddc

toddc

Hey,

The gaurd is from my '39 Poncho. Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone with experience:)

P.S. Humpty Dumpty had it coming;)

22. toddc

toddc

I agree, great work :):):) I would love a bit of a description of how you did this. With the gaurd I posted, I cut it apart to move the trapped metal. It would be great to know how to do it leaving it as one piece.

23. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

24. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

There is some VERY impressive metal work on this site!!

Sheck out the Ferrari & Porsche metalwork even if you arn't a fir'in car fan:)

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

25. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Its really hard for me to describe what and how I did that, each case is a little different. Most of it was done with a hammer and soft dolly, lots and lots of blows.

The edges and above the door were straightened with a busted and smoothed model t rear leaf spring, there was one section that was the same contour as the roof and it worked perfectly as a dolly.

Roofs are a kinda easier than they appear as long as the pillars and such arent completly wasted. One big push gets 90% of the dents out but the last 10% takes 90% of the time.

I found a 2x2 foot scrap of plywood, put it in the center of the roof and used the porta-potty to push the biggest dent out of the center and then a bit further. Then I started chasing creases and folds.

A shrinking disc is also a must have when working that big of a mess, the metal is stretched and pulled in so many directions that when you push it will move in places you havent been within 3' of.

26. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Yep, there is a reason I follow Da Tinman on Photobucket... :D

27. NOTCH

NOTCH

Nice Save Tinman!!!

28. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

This 69 Firebird had been hit in the rear end,crumpling both rear quarters.After the rear had been pulled out i metal finished both rear quarters to the ready to paint stage.

my metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

Attached Files:

29. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Good job on that roof....

30. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

No pics either but I welded up some 500 1/8 inch holes that my buddy drilled in the quarter of his comet... You know anchor holes for the bondo! He was real adiment about doing a one inch square pattern haha.