Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is nitro racing dying/dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1961, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

nevermind

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. I don't think it is dying it is just nothing that a single man is going to do on the weekend. For a low buck effort it takes a team of men and or women.

Nostaglia racing has become another NHRA type of venue, a late model race car with a vintage looking shell. If you want to find real old time nitro cars you have to find a vintage race group. I think there is still a bunch of fellas that go racing once a year at great bend that are not "nostalgia" racers. They are still using the old stuff reworked.

Used to be a fella from Arkansas on here that had a bunch of old donovan blocks that he reworked for a vintage race nitro team. It took a pile of old blocks to get an engine and a backup.

3. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I had posted a long rant, but thought better pass on it.

4. afaulk

afaulk

Come on with your rant lets hear it!!!!!!

5. What you had to say is valid for sure. The only thing I got to say is that we can keep what was alive, at least we can certainly try. We just have to make our own venue.

6. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

im curius and its dying close to dead

7. Rose, drop him a note and get his angle on nitro racing. I think you will agree with him.

8. Fedman

Fedman

The problem goes beyond what Fuel you are putting in the tank with NHRA
    I saw the writing on the board years ago and hated to see where they were taking the sport.
    I don’t know if any other automotive sanctioning body could treat their racers with so little respect.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    If you think the problem is in the Nitro category only, you should see how they treat the Alcohol Racers.
    They still have nerve to call the Alcohol Racers “Sportsman” any one involved would tell you that they are surely a Professional category.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I raced my FED for almost 30 years and could not stand it any longer, at the end of the 2008 season I loaded my FED in the trailer at the track and never went back.
    It was a very difficult decision to make, my life revolved around Drag Racing, but how much will you tolerate to do what you love?
    In hindsight now, 3 years removed from the sport, I am happy and enjoy driving my old pick up truck more than I did racing my FED towards the end.
    I solved my problems by walking away from it, not the answer for everybody, but I think you will find it might become a more popular choice in the future.
    <o:p></o:p>

9. Larry T

Larry T

11. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Nitro racing will hardly die, but the corporate bucks are killing the interest from the hardcore fans. The rest want to see Force smile, win and talk talk talk. Al of us race nerds will be able to see some nitro racing at HAMB drags , CHRR and such venues.

12. BillWallace

BillWallace

Class drag racing died many years ago. Wether its fuel, or gas, there is very little intrest in heads up or class drag racing. In the 1970s when local drag racing went to brackets that was the end of class drag racing & that happened because very few people could afford class racing. The audience for the fuel classes has always been supported in large part by the drag racers themselves. Drag racing, of all motor sports was & is a participant sport . You cant put the genie back in the bottle anymore than return to the 50s & 60s.

13. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

We have to face the fact that local nitro "Hitter" cars are gone forever. What I mean by that is local guys who run nitro cars at local NHRA events. There were a bunch not too long ago now they are mostly gone. The NHRA has killed them off with all of the BS. The NHRA has screwed up Nostalgia Drag Racing and killed off the little guy racers. How many NTF cars were running when the Good Guys run the races? A lot, Hemis, BBC, SBC and ever Fords ran.

There's no real JR Fuel class anymore, no AA/FA class just the 6-8 who run exhibition.

My point was the NHRA has made running nitro out of reach for just about everyone. When the older guys die off who's going to have the funds to do it with CF brakes and automatic remote controled shut offs?

There has to be an answer for a good heads up class were a few guys can run a nostalgia style car without a index.

The bottom line is the NHRA makes a lot of money off "sportsman" racers, not fuel guys. They get maybe 16-18 fuel cars in TF and the a little more in Funny Car. Have you seen how many Super Gas and Super Comp guys show up to run 600 ci cars on a delay box and index. That's where they (the NHRA) make the money.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

For the West Coast guys there is ANRA,NO FUEL CARS!! They run nostagia type cars in NE1-7.60,NE2-8.60 and NE3-9.60 indexes,A/G-7.60 through E/G-11.60 indexes,all heads up classes,all run format! They also run H/R,Sportsman,Open Wheel and jr.dragsters,all bracket-dial in style.They can get 3 qualifying hits on Saturday and racing is usually finished by 5PM on Sunday! NO FUEL=NO OIL DOWNS[usually]! ROY.

15. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Hell last week I thought of selling all of my Drag Racing junk and go Sprint Car racing.

16. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

all of your drag stuff would support a sprint car for a couple months unless you wrecked it .........then you need????????????????
    ''how to make a million $$$>start with 3 million &go racing for a year then quit !!!!!
    the oringinal idea of drag racing was to go as fast as you could

go back home and make changes and try &take it back out to see if it ran faster than before...............

17. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

In 1969 built a competative B/S er. Record got bombed in Atco N.J. and n.h.r.a. refactored the H.P. rating. Car could win trophies but was done in eliminator.In 90"s built a heads up Street Car. n.s.c.a. changed the rules to full tube chassis. Car was obsolete.Tried bracket racing with the car [ three times ] not for me.Still go to the drags once or twice a year. See the nostalgia cars and get the itch.Thank God I come to my sences within a half hour.

18. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

In 1994 we built TAD with a 388 SBC with help from George Jeff and Rick Santos. We checked with NHRA to make sure that this would comtinue to a viable class, this configuration ha a 200 pound advantage over the Hemi cars. Santos was well on his way to winning the Nat. championship, with three races to go when NHRA decided to start adding weight to our cars. Just where do you put 200 pounds on a car that we spent tons of money to make it light. When it was all done, the added weight killed both of our cars. Santos made his point by building a Hemi cor and winning the championship Five times. Our Aluminum SBC made 2,367 HP with a PSI blower on alky, but just didn't have enough beans to push 1800 pounds. TKS NHRA. What about the Pro Stock Truck guys?

19. edweird

edweird

20. jipp

jipp

sounds good ed.. greed, one trait humans could do with out.. but, like everything.. easier said than done.. humans are creature of nature and we aint changing till we are six feet under. cries just a we bit.
    high 5's to the guys who go to the track to see what there ride will do and not concern about purses, manicures, or what people think./.. FUN, we only get to live once.. enjoy it.. even tho i have died once already on my third life now i guess.. laughs.
    chris.

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Come on Bob.... If anyone had a great time back in the day it was you, however; the fun is never over and we are just attempting to re-live what you did.....

To heck with the NHRA and management.... There was a nostalgic drag race every weekend this past summer within 6 hours of your residence... Sure no T/F, however; there were numerous great hot rods banging gears.....

I guess you would not have an interest with our old style, 60's altered
    on alcohol since you have come to your sences... Ha Ha Ha

Lets get the HAMB drags to a FULL weekend event !!!!!!

P.S.: Drive the wheels off of your hot rod""S"" and sell the damn Monte Carlo !!!!!

22. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Fortunately there is still some good nostalgia racing to be had. ANRA provides some great nostalgia type racing.
    The March Meet & Chrr are also fun races. Mooneyes is going to be a blast-Chico & company always put on a great event.
    I can't wait for Dragfest, IMO that is the best race of the year.
    I would love to see some AA/FA racing, it's too bad that it has pretty much disappeared.

The NHRA professional series is so far removed from what I run in, that I can't relate. It's like watching a video game, and throttle stop racing makes me want to vomit.

23. Judd

Judd

Gasser61
    You need to get a group like we have started out there.

http://southerngassers.com/index.php/forum/index

We just line up with another member that runs about the same time and have a blast going at it! we had 3 pairs making passes with less that .03 wins in 1/8th at No Problem Raceway out of New orleans and the fans love watching so the tracks are giving us a little gas money to show up. No trophies, no class winners, just out there for the fun.

24. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I've run ANRA races and yes it's by far the best group of people out there racing (in So Cal). But it's still index racing. I'm talking about a heads up class, where you don't lose if you go to quick. The problem with drag racing is the NHRA. I'd love to see some heads up racing. Simple, common sense rules. There are a lot of guys out there with FED and Altereds so I would think JR Fuel and A/FA would be the best place to start. Put a blower on anything and the price goes way up.

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The heyday of nitro is not over. But I am an injected fuel guy. I can't afford to run a blown deal. And I refuse to run a back motor deal. Soooo, where does that leave you? Well, it leaves you with spending all your extra money "If there is any" on your car. Remember when three or so guys with a steady job could build a nitro car and run it and be competitive? You still can but choose your events, they are out there. I lost my last car due to no fault of my own. I have had to start from scratch. I have a lot of parts, used, new, and scrounged. It's no different than building any other car. In fact and you can quote me on this, you can build a nitro injected car and run it and have fun cheaper than you can build a doorslammer. Period. No body, no radiator, no suspension, ect...put your money in the basic mechanics of the car. ie..engine and driveline. Everyone always says to me, Gee I'd sure love to have a nitro inj car. They are pretty cheap to build. But, and I say BUT, have someone who knows what they are doing to learn from. Build it, get a cheap ass tow car and trailer, go to the track and have fun! Yes it will have to be legal for the sanctioning body you will run. NHRA, IHRA ect... but trust me when I say you still can build a blindingly fast dragster for cheap. And there are plenty of guys right here on this board that will help you all they can to accomplish your dream. No, nitro is not dead. Just waiting for you! If I can build a car, you can. WE ARE THE ROOTS OF THIS SPORT. SCREW NHRA. There are other venues to run. , c,mon buddy. It's US!

26. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Back to nitro racing. I hope its not dead because there is nothing that compares to it. . I.H.R.A. will no longer run nitro classes which leaves n.h.r.a. and nostalgia fuel shows. Without Shumacker[sp?];Kalitta; Allen Johnson; and Force there would be no n.h.r.a. fuel show and now their fucking up nostalgia fuel as well with their arbtrary rule changes some of which make no sense and add unwarranted cost. b.t..w..Candyman My Monte is the best driving old car that I"ve got.

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I guess I don't understand what we are talking about. The big show is the big show, it doesn't have anything to do with us does it? That has been out of hand for years.

28. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Back to nitro meant getting back to the original topic. As far as the Big Show, even though n.h.r.a. has eliminated the average person from participating it still is impressive racing and I hope it doesn"t cease to exist entirely.

29. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Nitro racing = to much Hype & BS

30. paintcan54

paintcan54

I still have my FED that I got in 1973 after getting out of the service. I paid 450.00 for a rolling K88 car, set it up with sbc and tubro trans ran A/ED, for about 4 seasons then NHRA come and told me and a few others that all ran together that "We were no longer wanted!" this came from the NHRA offical of Division 3 of NHRA he told us we did not bring anytrhing to the table for them, and that if we wanted to keep racing we would need to go bracket racing. I went bracket racing for a few more seasons and just didn't fit in bracket racing, my car ran in the 9:90s, and by the end of the day was spotting cars and motorcycles that was running in the low 15s and high 20s, after having enough of this I came home one night after racing and pushed the car in the barn at the back of my lot where it sat from about '81 till I tore the barn down in '96 and moved it up to my garage, I would go out and start it and drive it around the block 3 or 4 time a year, after I quite racing I never went to any drags any where, untill the HRR went to Columbus Ohio. I have no use for NHRA or IHRA as they forgot who put them where they are today, sorry for the long rant.