Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy inline 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

What's happening HAMBers!!! My dad just picked up a 52 deluxe from a guy for 1800 bucks!!! They put in a 235 in it and we want to change the powerglide tranny for a manual type tranny and wanted tO hear your opinions!!

2. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Welcome! Depends on your direction for the car. The 235 with a t5 from an s10 and an s10-4wd rear works really well in my ride. Cruises 70 all day long and gets 20mpg.

3. worthop

worthop

How was the installation on that?

4. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Easy really. I used Walton fabrication for the rear spring kit that properly centers the axle and hot rod works trans mount and adapter. There are tons of threads on here on what you need

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

A '52 powerglide car came from the factory with a 235, but these were low-pressure, babbit bearing engines, basically a larger 216.

If the engine has been changed then it could possibly have a later, full-pressure 235. If you'll post the numbers that are stamped on a flat pad just behind the distributor, we can i.d. it for you.

Sounds like your dad made a good buy. Got any pictures?

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I think it's a lot of work to find and install a new bell housing. Clutch set up. Clutch pedal set up. You'll also have to loose the torque tube if it's still under there. But, it is fun having a T-5 behind a 235. I love it!

7. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I am looking to do the t5 swap but going to use a tri 5 rear end. I know for a fact that I will be happy with this swap from the 3 speed to a 5!... I already cruise 65 with the 3 speed set up i have and looking for those 2 more gears!.

8. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I am not trying to be nit-picky but there are really no full pressure 235s, later motors 54-62 have higher pressure and drilled cranks for oiling the rod bearings but real full pressure requires some drilling, tapping and plugging. It is easy to do and makes for much better oiling and pressure in hot engines. Instructions are on the net maybe try Inliners.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

Ok,tell us about the extra drilling and tapping to make it a full high pressure engine.If you're talking about an oil filter that's not full pressure but full flow filter.

10. inline 292

inline 292

AND, then you will find that the full-flow filter you just added actually reduces the oil pressure available to your motor. Remember, a filter is a restriction. Also, no tap or plugs required. Simply drill a couple holes in the oil pan side to install bulkhead fittings in.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

If the car is an original Powerglide car, it was equipped with 3:55 rear gears. These work great on the highway with the 235 and original 3-speed, if you decide to go that route.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lakermatt how did you ever come out on this? A truck bellhousing shouldn't be that hard to find nor should a set of pedals with both brake and clutch and hopefully the clutch hardware.

I've got the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing but it would cost more than they are worth to ship them.

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have a '52 235 and I used a 53 non-power Glide Chevy 235 oil pump and siphon tube. Not full pressured but 20 lbs with the Spray system (that is what these engines are) and the insert rods already in place I have put 70,000. miles on the engine with a T-5 with no issues. I do have an HEI and High Lift (1.61) Rocker Arms in the engine. I did dump the torque tube and went to a '83 Pontiac (3:07) rear end. No complaints here and I get great fuel economy too.
    normbc9

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah,about 3 psi,ask me how I know that :D .I've done several 235 full flow conversions and decided it's better to drill and tap the block oil galley,plug the existing passage than have fittings on the oil pan on a street engine.

15. GREASER815

GREASER815

Subscribed to this thread. Looking for a 235 now to put in my 50 Chevy. Planning on the hot rod works T5 adapter plate, chassis engineering rear leaf kit, and a Nova or 4X4 S10 rear end. Not sure what rear ratio to run, but will be much more enjoyable than the old 3 speed. If I cannot locate a 235 soon I am just going to run the 216 I have in it and see what happens. It runs like a top, and almost too good to toss it out. Looking forward to seeing what route you take.