Register now to get rid of these ads!

The internet: anti hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry... But her dad was right!... :rolleyes:
    Damn, I'm old..:(

2. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Here we all are on the internet while the cars they are a rusting!

Oh well!

Kind of a silly thread, since we have to be on the internet to comment on it.

If you want to talk about "anti hot rod", talk about the SCTA!

3. and NHRA, NSRA, Goodguys and to a certain degree, NASCAR.

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I do the same thing all the time. I criticize guys younger and older than me. Self-righteous, maybe.. But I refuse to be affiliated with the stereotypes of my generation. I'm about to graduate with a BFA and go back for my Master's in Printmaking, but the odds of me finding a decent job will be far from being in my favor.

This thread is somewhat providing comic relief for me today. :) I also like what Speedy had to say and agree. Everything I have, I worked for and that's how it always will be, unless I get lucky or something.

iPhone - TJJ App

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Isn't working on hotrods about making old guys young again :D

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I have a cell phone, listen to rap and surf the 'net...and I'm 54. I don't text, I don't send phone pictures (how stupid is that to send a 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" picture!), I don't "carry the internet with me" and don't listen to all forms of rap music. All of that said, it's about choices. I agree with the harder working and exception-to-the-rule youth that replied here. It's a choice and a priority. Some kids do prefer to work for a monthly "gadget bill" instead of a car payment. I can only imagine what some of them have to pay out for the services they carry with them. What's fucked up about it all is the priority of that gadget in their daily lives. "Hey guess what I'm doing?" Who fuckin cares? If you prefer an earlier time, like older things and have them, it's a natural progession to pick up on older daily life qualities and morals. The real truth? People were just as fucked up, rude and sinister back in the 30s as they are now. No? Dig around and see for yourself. Kids were abducted, houses were robbed, cars were stolen, and people were randomly mugged or killed. You didn't hear of it so much because the info network was harder to deal with and clearly didn't have the reach it has today. The media also "protected" some of the public from such things.

Now, on to hot rods, from day 1 we were all a bunch of hoodlums. A group of misguided souls in dirty T-shirts and denim just looking for a place to show off our testoterone fueled cars and compete for the prize...the big dog. Jungle law. The strongest (fastest) survived and were the ones the lesser of the animals aspired to be. Show me where that rule is different today. I don't know that I agree with no venue to participate in. Fines are steeper, cars and parts clearly more money, but here in Motown, in season, there's a place to take your car in every city nearly every night from "after work" to "we're closed...". There's also a shit ton of net cafes and "Free Wi-Fi" signs everywhere too. Pick your poison. There's more kids and less hot rods. There's more TV/internet/G netoworks too. We find it easy to think everyone was in to hot rods back in the day. Ask yourself what's really true. We've always been a rare breed. Most of us wouldn't have it any other way.

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

If everyone was building a hot rod, Im sure I wouldnt want one.

My wife makes me carry a cell phone when Im out on my motorcycle, I understand that she worries about me ending up in a ditch, so thats about the only time I carry one.

I dont know whats going on outside my little circle, dont really care.

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

For the record, I would ride the light rail (or even a decent bus system) every day. Not having to drive to work and park makes driving for pleasure so much better. Plus, there’s less guilt for not owning a POS late model to sacrifice to the salt gods.

There is considerably less interest in the automobile than there used to be. And while social networking, texting, etcetera definitely takes up part of the time that might have been spent wrenching 30 years ago, I think that's a symptom, not a cause. I place the blame more on Detroit and Washington.

What inspiration have kids had since the ‘70s to build a cool car? You can hardly buy cool in the showroom these days, so why try to build what you can’t afford when nobody can have a cool car easily. It’s not like kids aspire to own cool refrigerators or washing machines, and thanks to regulations, the insurance companies, and lack of design creativity, the automobile has become nothing more than another appliance.

-Dave (who rarely uses a purse)

9. slammed

slammed

People (kids esp.) mimic what they see. Bombard them (media blitz) and bingo, social engineering.

10. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

perfectly stated

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I dunno man. there are a couple kids I know busting the shop door down trying to learn whatever they can. they work full time , go to school and still...one of them started his own business so he can have the loot to build.
    lots of dumb stereotypes on here. a lot of my (rad!) builder buddies started with vw bugs-they turned out fine. shame that these posts with prejudicial rants get so much attention.

12. 28 Here.....

Been supporting myself and living on my own since i was 16.....

Everything I own I have paid for myself......

I do not feel I work hard.....as I know people that work harder....

Maybe all you old timers bitching about the "lazy youth" aren't looking in the right places....

EDIt.....also Imports are the Financially obtainable hot rod of today....most 16 year old can't afford to build a old car. IT"S EXPENSIVE.....Believe me.....I did a lot of driving a cheap minivan while my "cool old car" was broken.....nithing cool about a car you can't drive.....

13. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

there's only one problem between cars and internet
    it raises the prices
    well at least in europe..

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Complaining about the younger generation, nothing more traditional than that - and lame.

15. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

And Internet enable me to buy parts for my 33 Roadster cheap from Australia :)

So it's not all evil.
    Its is a bigger revolution the Radio or TV, and those took some time before everrything was sorted out (if its still?).

16. Deuces

Deuces

Same way I feel about what goes on in Hollywood.. reality tv???... I don't care!!:eek: But they force this shit down our throats everyday.. Sad! :( Sorry for goin' o/t.. :rolleyes:

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of young builders out there but they may not be building what we see as "hot rods" or customs.
    My niece's fiancee is one of that bunch. He wrenches by day and builds 700+hp Toyota Celica GT's in his garage at home . Unless you are a fan of that particular model of 15 year old Toyota it is a total sleeper going down the street. Just don't get in a stoplight grand prix with him in your 55 Chevy gasser.

Still I'd have to say that the internet along with the current magazines bring a lot of younger guys into the fold. We have new and young guys showing up every week who have fallen in love with the traditional rods and customs. They want to learn how to build the cars that are now their dreams and often are more particular about having the correct traditional parts than a lot of us older guys are.

18. "Dang them reckless young whippersnappers hot-rodding around with their loud i-phones!"....... naah....just doesn't sound quite the same....:eek:

19. cederholm

cederholm

Yeah, my neighbor's kid is one of these lazy good-for-nothing kids. Worked part time while getting a full scholarship to Columbia University in engineering. Got a job offer from Boeing before he even graduated. And now he's sending money home to help his family.

What a waste that kid is, He shoulda been helping me with rusty old cars. WTF?!!?

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats sad is, fifteen years later, and I'm STILL a cranky old bastard. :rolleyes: Some things just dont change...

21. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

With the mid 50’s being near the pinnacle of “Traditional Hot Rods” In 1955 minimum wage was set to $1.00 per hour. I have heard many times that here in the mid west, farm work could be found for $1.00 per hour cash for those that wanted to work. A new 1955 Ford pickup I hear was roughly $1500. So a 15 year old kid could work 25 hours a week for 44 weeks during school and 50 hours a week for the 8 weeks of summer and pay $1500 for a new truck in 1 year. In today’s $7.50 minimum wage if you are can find an under the table no tax job with the same 1500 working hours the working kid would have $11,250. A new Ford truck starts at $23,000 without the sales tax that at 7% ($1610) is more than the new Ford truck was in 1955. Today a teen would need to work more than twice the number of hours to get the new truck. Without going into the differences between a 1955 F100 and 2012 F-150, looking at new is the only way to compare the ages. In the 1950’s I am sure that like today for those that work for a car buy a used one. I suspect that the used car price today is relative to the used car price in 1955 in respect to the original MSRP. I guess this is my long winded way to say that those young guys with their rice burners today are doing what was done in the 1950’s only in smaller numbers because of the higher costs.

22. You know what they say about minivans though....
    [​IMG]

23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

as we are on the hamb hummmm.....

24. Nothing particularly "Anti Hot Rod" about that. What it really is about is the changing dynamic of the next generation and how they don't feel as large of a need for cars in general. It's hard for us old farts to believe but the truth is they just don't feel that cars are an important part of their lives ~ more like a necessary evil. With traffic and parking as congested as it is now, if they can find another way to get around they will do so. I listen to the younger kids at work and they aren't as excited about going places as we were. The whole idea of Just going for a Drive, or cruising doesn't appeal to them, and again a lot of that has to do with the aforementioned traffic issues. Many of them tell me they would just as soon gather at a friends place, or the coffee house, and play with their computers.
    We used to look at getting our Permit, and then License as a right of passage. Getting that license and ultimately a car meant freedom, the ability to get away from home, and a way to take the bad girls out for a little submarine racing. I asked one of the kids in my neighborhood, who is 19 and doesn't drive, how he had any "Private Time" with his girlfriend. His answer? "Easy both our parents all work all the time, so we can screw anytime we want right at home, just have to walk the 2 blocks to her house, or her to mine".
    Yep, the dynamics of life are changing......

25. I find it interesting that a journalist from England is a expert on American youth and car culture, or American culture at all. I may have mis read but it seems that he is also an expert on my granfather's generation and how important that first horse was and not needing to drive mom and pop's buckboard any more. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone give this article the time of day?

I'm just saying.

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

My two cents!

Hey! Who gives a shit! Let them have there smart phones and internet. If they can't balance out there lives who cares. The way I look at it is if they don't want to get there license and drive a car it means more fossil fuel for me and you! loloolol

Also when their daddy is old and dead and his classic rod is sitting in the garage after he kicks it I am going to buy it cheap from them and drive the wheels off the Mother Fer!

J
    That is the way I look at it!:)

27. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I must have mis read it too because all I see is him quoting other people.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I really like your read on young kids. I believe you are absolutely correct. John

29. Brog

Brog

I love the internet because it helps with my daily life by finding the info I need, not because it IS my daily life.
    Times have changed but oh well kids can be on the internet and play videogames all they want, leaves more room on the road and more gasoline for me haha

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

Computers are fine but they don't have back seats.