Register now to get rid of these ads!

The internet: anti hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Nov 28, 2011.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2. That isn´t anti anything. Just reporting that kids aren´t so into cars any more.

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Its the laziness of people and the turning people into political correct pussies thats the real problem... Men are not men anymore that are portrayed on tv and in the internet and movies, thats the issues with women, they are not women anymore... and some people have to have the net to surrvive cause they cant disconnect from this electronic lifestyle, they have to know whats happening now now now.. pussification of America and these kids are all a huge problem comming into society wanting everything given to them and not knowing how to work hard for anything in life.

Give me a phone that works and I dont give a damn.. and if I found out 2 wks from not by word of mouth on something so be it.. I could care less to stay on the up in up and on the latest trend.. Im 32 but live my life like a guy from the 50's and strive on respect and honor and dont have anything for this whole electronic gammer era.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

stubbsrodandcustom hit the nail on the head! Beyond that, somehow "cool" plays no factor in the younger generations lives today. I know that when I was in my twenties, you worked hard to have a cool car. Now, I see the sub thirty set waiting for the f*^%ing light rail holding purses... I know they are bags for they're precious computers, but they still look like purses to me! What the f*&^ happened?

5. Some kids aren't into anything anymore. They just spend hours talking (texting, tweeting, whatever) to each other about how they're not doing anything...

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Yes and No. Your definition of "cool" doesn't play into today's younger generation. Trust me, they still think they are cool, and still buy things that make them cool with-in their group.

Today the latest phone/computer/camera device all rolled into one makes a teenager cool. Being about to figure it out, figure ways around security features, and essentially "hot rodding" their phone makes them cool.

I love cars, hot rods, etc. . . but let's face it, it's an old man's hobby. Unless we all do our part to expose it to the younger generation in a way that's appealing to them, they're not gonna want any part of it.

7. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

You took the words outta my mouth . Only thing I can add to this is waiting for somebody to give them something. - Mayor

8. You don´t suppose that some of your parents, and their parents, parents were ever heard muttering the same thing on occasion?:rolleyes:

9. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

The older I get the more I sound like my old man.... lol - Mayor

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

i think zombiehotrod is right.kids still want to be cool but just a different way than we did it.but with prices of old cars and parts today how in the hell can a teenager ever get into it. hell i worked all my life and hard and i still cant afford half of what i do. in fact i still cant fiqure how just how the hell i do do what i do!lol. i got a 15 yr old neighbor. kid lost his dad last yr. so he hangs out in the shop with us for awile. we thought we would put him to work just helping out some. hell no! he rather sit at the desk and text his friends. i told him leave that phone at home and learn something. he dont come over anymore.

11. Mine weren't:D

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

My dad had me drive him around for a couple years before I got my driver's license at 17. I'm 23 now and I can count on one hand the number of guys my age or younger that are really into cars. All of those guys aren't into traditional hot rods though but rather rice burners or street rods.. The Internet isn't the only factor nowadays.

But I wouldn't give my hot rods up for anything the youth are interested in nowadays. I would give up the Internet (I may struggle with the concept of not having the HAMB) before I give up hot rods.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This is too funny. A bunch of you complaining about the internet--- ON THE INTERNET!

We created the world that these kids are born into. You can't blame them for living in that world. Our goal for generations has been to make life easier for the next. When their life becomes easier, we complain that they're lazy and have life easier than we did.

Sometime before the Hot Rod generation, guys were into horses and blacksmithing and building wagons and stuff like that. I'm sure they moaned when automobiles came around and nobody learned how to properly shoe a horse anymore!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bingo...

You must not know the same kids I do, I know a lot of them that work their asses off, but on different things than most probably did as a kid. They don't all just sit around and ask for stuff to be handed to them.

exactly....

15. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Damn internet, I'm glad I don't have one!

16. mx6262

mx6262

+++++++1111111111!!!!!! Your right again my Fellow AMERICAN......Looking for a FEW good MEN!!!!

:cool:

17. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I think it depends on what the driving age is. My step son is 13 next month and doesnt give a crap about cars. He is driven by his xbox, crackberry, and skyping. I have to drag his ass out of the house to do things. He shocked me when he said he wanted to play tackle football in the spring.I am hoping he tells me soon that he wants to go to car shows too. I am going to expose him to cars as much as possible, hope he bites.

Side note, most of the 16 and 17yr olds are into imports where we live. While its not a hot rod, its still a car culture and hopefully they learn what a real car is.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Trust me, as I typed my post I saw the irony!

19. jipp

jipp

im one that really hates the phone... just knock on my door.. but then id rather use email than the phone. i enjoy my net.. but i have to admit im lazy with keeping up on whats going down in the news.. i just pay attention to what interest me and live in my own world.. for right or wrong.. kids do want to be cool. just being cool these days just means something different.. in high school was all about a cool car.. my sisters generation, about having a fast computer and a new car that you do not have to touch just drive the piss out of..

life is a trip thats for sure, and i ait giving up my net for anyone :D
    chris.

20. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Not only using the internet to complain about the internet but whining like a bunch of old women about how men have been turned into women.;)

21. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

ha ha, i was driving thru tempe last week and thought the same thing. "it's not a purse its a satchel!"

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Shouldn't we all be out working on our hotrods instead of whining on the internet about kids not working on hotrods? :p

23. Well, I've only seen one comment from the younger generation, so I guess I'll take up that side of things... I'm 23, for the record, and I guess I missed the memo. I work a 9-5 day job, 3 evenings a week, and a couple of weekends a month, just to afford the things I want to do... namely buying rusty, greasy car parts and filling up the garage.

Anytime a discussion about todays youth comes up on here, the same diatribes get used: "kids today aren't into anything", "today's youth is lazy", "kids expect everything to be given to them", "they'd rather be online than doing anything else". And you know what? For a lot of kids, those thoughts are exactly true! Of course there is always going to be the hardworking kids, the kids that earn things, the ones that put in the hours. There will always be youth of both sorts, just as I'm sure there was in the 50s. I won't argue against anything anyone said above.

But getting back to the original post, the article hit a number of things right on the head. First, the cost of owning a car is out of reach for most teenagers and twentysomethings. When you purchase a car, add in gas, insurance and maintenance, and it's suddenly pricey. Insurance alone is a nightmare for a younger person. I recently switched insurance companies, and the cost of insurance for my daily driver, (an OT, white, four door, hatchback, with multiple airbags) went from $3900 to $2800. Keep in mind that I've never had an accident, and only have one speeding ticket (95 km/h in an 80 km/h zone) on my record.
    Second, public transportation has killed the need to own a car if you live in a decent size city. You can get anywhere you need or want to be with a bus, streetcar, or train, and you only pay when you use it. Why drive?
    Third, a car has become a means of travel. That's it. There's fair few places to cruise anymore, just for the sake of cruising. Traffic lights every block, no culture to be part of, no drive ins/car hops/drive in movies to visit. Spend a half hour going 7 blocks, and you'll be fed up with driving too.
    Fourth, driving, and I'll be completely honest, is a pain in the ass when you need to park nowadays. Sure, if you're out in the country, or in a more rural area, parking is easy to be had. But in any sort of city, everything seems to be paid parking lots, metered street parking, etc.
    Fifth, the graduated licensing system, while smart, and safer, is a pain. For a lot of my friends that don't own, or don't have regular access to a car, it's not worth the hassle of getting licensed.

I'll end my rant here. I could go on and on with plenty of other things that have led to a decrease in driving for today's youth, but I won't. It's worth keeping in mind that the internet, cellphones, and laziness are not the only things ruining today's youth.

24. I like what mike said

the internet is stupid...its good. but i think we have taken to far. i am on it all day at work. my job requires me to be infront of a computer for 8+ hours. when i get home sometimes but not as much. i enjoy being outside and such. and get this i dont text. thats right im 26 and i average like 3 texts a month. not 300 not 3000. but 3. kids today to less social in pysical settings. but everybody knows everything becase of facyspace. that all being said i think its time to update. just joking.

25. clockwork31

clockwork31

Right on...

26. Deuces

Deuces

I also have the texting feature locked out of my cell phone... I think it's a waste!:rolleyes: I do like the camera though... :)

27. DrJ

DrJ

What mike51merc said, and:
    Anyone worried about the younger generation not being all that into "traditional hotrods" is probably just a huckster worried that his "used cars" don't have an ever expanding market anymore and he isn't making the big bucks off them he was ten years ago.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

From what I can see, most young people work a LOT harder for LESS return than we did. Hell, when I was a young guy, I just wandered into the local saw-mill, bingo $15 an hour, and this was in the late seventies! Hell, nowadays, most young guys with a BA are hard pressed to make that.

I still remember about fifteen years ago, I was driving down the street with an old GF, pointed at this young guy, and said "look at that jack-ass with the ass of his pants halfway down to his knees and his hat on backwards, what a maroon". She looked at me, smiled sweetly, and said "you sound just like my dad". Touche.

29. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

The younger generation won't waste their times on old cars if they read a thread like this and get the impression anyone who works on them is an old whining fart who thinks all kids are stupid,even though the truth is they beat us hands down when it comes to programming the remote.:)
    Luckily for us all the world continues to change,sometimes for the better,sometimes for the worst but while it changes we can all benefit one way or another.

30. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I think that's what they mean, when they say "the world is changing" ........but maybe not for the better.