Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 Plymouth redux...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator

Thought I'd document the 'do-over' of my '33 Plymouth coupe here - first here's a little 'back story' ;

Hamber 33Cruiser hit me up last January about trading his '33 Plymouth coupe for my chopped Shoebox. I had just finished up the '50 and as usual I was jonesing to start on something else.

[​IMG]

Even though the Shoebox was a nice car - Bob Bleed chop, Fatlucky stitched seats, shaved bumper plated by Ogden Chrome fresh copper pearl paint, etc etc. I kept wondering - why's a guys wanna trade me an all steel '33 coupe - what's wrong with it? Where's the hook?

But, we forged ahead slowly, since Jim was up in Nothern Ohio and had a couple feet of snow on the ground. We were finally able to meet up in Cincy, halfway between here and there in April. Jim trailered the '33 down and I drove the Shoebox up.

I figured out why Jim wanted to get out of the coupe - He's one BIG dude. :D Anyways, we got the deal done, and I think we both walked away pretty satisfied. I jumped in the '33 and steered it towards home, on I-65 in a MONSOON. Aside from getting airborne a couple of times near Louisville I had no problems.

So back to the Plymouth - best I can figure it was put together about 1991 and then sat for many years. The red paint was 20-footer quality, the interior was dated, wood dash, 14 inch chrome smoothys, etc. Definitely in need of some love. Here it was when I got it:

[​IMG]

I decided to just drive it for the summer and not mess with it too much, but the wheels had to go. Being on a budget I grabbed a set of Halibrand copies off Ebay for cheap.

[​IMG]

I drove it pretty much like I got it for the rest of the 'season', Goodguys Nashville, NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Honest Charleys in Chattanooga, Redneck Rumble in Lebanon, and many more shows and cruise ins. I only had one breakdown, a belt cut a hose in two on the way to somewhere I can't recall - but I couldn't wait to tear into it. So after the annual Fall color cruise in October I parked it and started dismantling it:

[​IMG]

More to come...

2. Gator

Gator

Continued tearing it down, including all the interior and a shit-load of stereo equipment that's NOT going back in. The gray tweed and roof console also have to go.

Here's the interior/dash before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

My 'Helper'

[​IMG]

When it goes back together the buckets will be replaced by a custom bench seat covered in black tuck and roll. The wooden dash and steering wheel has got to go as well, but the Classic Instruments gauges are all still good and will be housed in a '34 Ford dash I got from Sam F. I also picked up a used banjo wheel at a swap meet this summer.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I liked Jim's car and had imagined a redux just as you are performing.

Thanks for posting your progress

Best wishes on a successful build

4. Update???????????

5. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Keep us posted.Looks like you enjoyed the car and put a lot of thought into it before starting rebuild.

6. Gator

Gator

Thanks! Yes, I was itching to tear it apart but made myself wait. I have ZERO patience so it was tough. Here are a couple of road trip shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gator

Gator

Back to the tear down - at first I'd planned on just a scuff and respray, but Hamber and fellow Poorboy Mike (EarlSchieb) kinda talked me into going all the way with it, which is what I really wanted anyway.

Do to some physical limitations I decided to chemically strip the paint - that way I was able to just sit down with a brush, scraper, and razor blade and have at it. I used 'Airplane' stripper. This stuff will eat normal latex gloves so make sure you have some nice heavy chemical resistant gloves or you'll get burnt - ask me how I know - ha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this last pic you can see the yellow paint that was under the red. The red spray job was apparently a quickie job, as nothing was removed, just taped up before paint.

[​IMG]

8. Very nice coupe!

going to guess by the hood never being opened in any of the pictures it's a SBC . . .

9. Gator

Gator

Thanks AJ, yeah, it has a GM Peformance Parts 350 (the 300 hp pre-vortec version) TH400 tranny, Ford 9 inch, MII front - the usual 'street rod' stuff. I usually keep the hoods closed on all my stuff unless I'm working on it anyway. ;)

But I'm glad you brought that up, the whole purpose of tearing it apart is to tone down the '90's street rod' vibe. It is what it is but I think I can at least make it LOOK more 'Hambworthy'.

So, more pics?

Front fenders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear fenders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like there were some different tail lights frenched in at one point, this will all get cut out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 73RR

73RR

What could possibly look better in a 33 Ply than an EarlyHemi...??;)

11. :D yeah baby!

12. ratster

ratster

looks good bro.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

my dad owned one when i was in high school. bright yellow, warmed over 327, muncie, man that thing hauled.

then he tore it apart, had dave simard do some body work, and sold it before it ever went back together. it ended up in PA, i think.

anyway, i always kinda liked them.

14. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Yeah Agreed, can't wait to see the transformation on the 33 (PC?) Plymouth.......

15. Gator

Gator

Yup, it's a PC - and if it had a Hemi that would have been the first pic I would have posted - haha.

This is actually only the very few Mopar's I've ever owned, but I love the lines of the car.

More progress pics, I've been very happy with the condition of the metal. As I've found in other projects there was a LOT of bondo in some places for no apparent reason - just bondo on top of paint on top of bondo - and all on top of good straight sheet metal.

Doors:

[​IMG]

Hood top and sides, the sides look to have been fabricated and the are thick and heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grille was chrome when new, I can still see the copper plate in spots.

[​IMG]

Decklid needs some love, I may need to cut out the inner skin to smooth it out, but first I'm gonna try to reach in and 'dolly' it through the access holes.

[​IMG]

16. 73RR

73RR

You get extra points for not showcasing what is there...:D

The sheetmetal looks pretty solid. Good to hear that you haven't found any real problems.

17. I know where a pre-64 426 is, may not be a Hemi....But a Max Wedge ain't no slouch either...

Looks good glad to see your finding good metal under all that paint...

18. Retro61

Retro61

Hey Gator, should have given me a shout, could've used my Soda-Blaster on the Metal and saved you alot of time (and Gloves)! Ha Ha Ha

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed! I love what you're going to do with this great looking, solid car!

20. Jim and I are in the same club. I think it is cool that a trade worked out so well for both parties involved....I have a pair of these coupes for my twin daughters...not too much longer will be working on them...so for now it will be fun to watch this one go together...

21. Gator

Gator

More work on the quarters, again very happy with the condition of what was underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Go, Gator, Go!

Rich

23. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Looking good Go Go Gator!

24. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Not sure if you knew but you can buy a repro windshield frame and all the hardware if you wanna get rid of the glued in windshield.You car looks very solid.I say you did a graet trade.I hope to have my 34 PFXX coupe on the road next summer.I would post pics but mine is too Street Rod for here.

25. farmer12

farmer12

Yes! This is going to be one cool Plym in the making. Subscribed. I like the way your tackling this project! And I do agree on the Hemi bit.......

26. Gator

Gator

Thanks guys - blew the head gasket on my air compressor last week and had some down time waiting on parts. I threw it back together I could clean out the shop (and see what it looked like nekkid - ha)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I have some good news/bad news. The good news is I've been jonesing for another Caddy for a while, last week I struck up a deal on a '55 Coupe De Ville.

The BAD news is I'll have to find the Plymouth a new home. I've been kicking around the idea of just getting it all back together and selling it in bare metal. That would get me working on the Caddy quicker but also bring me less $$$. Other options are just getting it roughed in and in primer or going the whole nine yards and finishing it out.

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say it ain't so. That car is going to make someone an awesome hot rod. You can't give up on it now!

28. Gator

Gator

Ha ha, not really giving up on it, unless someone wants to step up and buy it in the raw I'll see it through to the finish. Kinda tossing paint ideas around right now. I'd planned on shiny black for myself, but I'm trying to think what color might make for a better sale.

Got one of the fenders patched. Looked like there were some different tail lights in there at one point. Cut out brass, bondo, duraglass, and a big hunk of thick metal for a patch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still needs some more hammer and dolly work but much better than before.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  29. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

damn Gator ... I luv that Plymouth! Would look great in my shop ... My 51 is still having the interior put in ... I sold it and trying to get it put back together for delivery. You know me ... everything has a price ... maybe should have priced it higher! The 33 is looking good. and congrats on the Caddy! Give me a call when you can.
    Later,
    Gadget

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  30. Gator

Gator

I'd love for you to have it - maybe when you get yours gone.

Slow going lately - got the front fender patched, I think this was where it originally bolted to the frame. Instead of cutting out a patch someone just cut out a larger patch and welded it behind the hole, pounded it down and filled it with 3/4 of an inch of bondo. Same method was used on the other fender and the patches on the rear fender where the tail lights were changed at some point.

It's a shame since the rest of the fender (and most of the body for that matter) are relatively rust and damage free.

[​IMG]

Backside:

[​IMG]

Triple thickness!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]