Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Holman-moody the history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by frank spittle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

In 1958 I think June it is like I remember concrete bleachers in Charlotte?
    Tar Hill by birthright and Sir Name I am. We were up there for which ever race.
    From down here in Louisiana, staying at my uncles house there in Charlotte.
    OK back to Perkins diesel Capri - I was reading your post seen Charlotte and
    pops right in my mind - age?

2. Falconred

Falconred

There are a couple of photos of the truck in "The Holman & Moody House Cleaning Everything Must Go Yard Sale of the Century, Catalogue". That thing looked huge.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

For you late bloomers. The last picture was when it was given to H&M and sitting in the old hanger that was used mostly for storage. It later wound up in outside storage. It has left an impressive 45 year memory in my mind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. rawhide427

rawhide427

Frank,
    Do you know the name of the gentleman sitting on the Falcon. It looks like L.O. Stanley from Meadows of Dan, Virginia to me. He worked at HM in the early sixties if my memory serves me correctly.
    thanks, Roland

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

I don't recognize the guy Roland but will find out the next time I am at H-M.

6. MustangSally59

MustangSally59
    from Piedmont

It is with great sadness to tell you my Dad, Junior Martin, passed away November 14, 2011. Daddy died doing what he loved best and that was working. Thought you all might want to know.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

So sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

8. Our condolences... Sounds like he spent his life on something he was passionate about, and it doesn't get any better than that. Feel free to share some stories with us if you like.

9. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

My condolences to you and to all your family. Junior Martin was an intergal part of my 50-year racing career. He was a gentleman's gentleman, and a rare speciman of a man. He epitomized that smooth southern charm us yankee's came to love and respect. He always was able to translate my racing jargon, grunting, and other forms of verbal comunication (putting up with my yankee accent) into the correct parts I needed, and they were always there on the next Holman & Moody truck.

John and Ralph notwithstanding, Junior Martin was Holman & Moody. He will be both missed and morned by many such as myself, who knew him, trusted him, and liked him for the person he was. Godspeed Junior.

10. Penny Martin Phifer

Penny Martin Phifer

Thank you for all of your kind words. To us our Dad and the guys at the shop Jimmy and Larry are the faces of Holman & Moody. I was 2years old when our Dad started working there and I remember Mr. Holman being bigger than life. Going to the counter were my Dad worked. Seeing the speed boats when they had the Marine Division our Uncle John (John Martin) worked there also.Going to the races in the 70's, Darrell Waldrop and Gator Aid Chewing Gum, and I will never forget Bobby Allison calling our house to speak to my Dad. To Lee Holman, Jimmy Tucker, Larry Wallace and Jim Rhodes thank you for being such good friends with our Dad. He thought the world of all of you. Penny

11. fordloverracing

fordloverracing

I would like to add my condolences also to you and your family. I worked with Jr. up until '72 and have had many phone conversations with him over the years. He is definitely one of the H&M foundation members, it would have never been the same without his always smiling face and eagerness to help attitude. There were fellow employees that you could walk by and not hardly know you passed them but anytime you were around Jr. you always felt better after he left. He was one of the few people that you could always count on to get that certain part or bit of info that you needed, ole Mr. Reliable.....
    I'm sure there are thousands of people over the years that have talked to Jr. and he was their only contact with H&M. Definitely one of the founding members.
    Rick

12. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

I never personally met Mr. Martin, although I talked with him a time 'r two. One undeniable fact...he surely raised two wonderful girls...

I'm very sorry for your loss, and ours as well.

13. frank spittle

frank spittle

Junior Martin lived a life we all dream about. He loved what he did but loved the racers and hot rodders more. When he reached retirement age he said "no thanks. I would have to quit seeing all the special people." I last saw him only months ago at H-M and he was doing great. I hope when it is my time to go I can say I enjoyed life as much as Junior. And all the nice things you have read about him here are true. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever known. Penny, I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. ken adams

ken adams

I am new to the thread but pretty excited. My grandfather bought a truck from H-M in the late 70's that us kids, at the time, called the "moonmobile". My memory serves it was a gas turbine truck, but not the one pictured. It was a bit more modern than "big red", with the back of the cab concaved to match the trailer. Does this ring any bells?

15. ken adams

ken adams

You are talking about the #49 Grand American H-M Mustang that Bobby Allison drove to his 85th win! I have been on other sites trying to find leads on this car, as it was owned by my grandfather, Melvin Joseph. There seems to be no trace of it after 1972. Any more info would be greatly appreciated! The info I have shows the car as "Mustang HM 9011 GT" It was purchased from H-M on 2/11/1970.

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't know how much H&M had their hand in the R&D of any of these gas turbine Fords, but until recently I had thought Chrysler was the only non aircraft mfg to experiment with gas turbine vehicles for the road.
    Any of these look familiar Ken?
    Tom S. in Tn.

17. ken adams

ken adams

No. The truck I remember was a wedge design similiar to "big red".

18. ken adams

ken adams

My grandfather and Ralph were good friends and they worked together after Mr. Shetley and Ralph split up. We have one of the '79 Capri's with a turbocharged Perkins. I couldn't download the picture of the whole car but here is one of the engine. As you can tell, it is unrestored and is driven occasionally![​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. silvalms01

silvalms01

Can anyone tell me if these are Ford or Mopar? Thay are Holman and Moody. Part #D2HM-2014-1. Value? Thanks, Pete [email protected]

Attached Files:

20. "D2HM", sure smells like a Ford part. Did HM make any Mopar parts? Dunno.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  21. silvalms01

silvalms01

Good point. I'm not sure why i thought that other than seeing a set at Tiger's that were Mopar. Probably a Mopar product that looked pretty much the same.

22. Ray1969

Ray1969

D2HM-2014-1 is a Holman Moody part. Holman Moody followed the Ford part number system. I believe Holman Moody started using this setup in 68’-69’. I could be wrong. But casting you have is from 1972. I do not know what they would go for today.
    /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    D2HM-2014-1<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    D=Parts made in the 70&#8217;s<o:p></o:p>
    2=1972<o:p></o:p>
    HM=Holman Moody<o:p></o:p>
    2014=part number<o:p></o:p>
    -1=Revised part<o:p></o:p>

23. fordflashback

fordflashback

Whatever happened to Paul Norris? He seems to have disappeared.

24. fordflashback

fordflashback

Is there any pix of Ritchey's Mustang at H&M? Does anyone know for sure if it was his silver '65 car, or the red '66 that he crashed?

[​IMG]

25. frank spittle

frank spittle

I believe Paul Norris is deceased. Not sure about which car Ritchey died in but believe it was the '65 car. It was probably stored at the H-M graveyard. I will ask Jimmy Tucker these questions.

26. fordflashback

fordflashback

The crashed Ritchey car was stored at H&M until at least 1971 according to Ford docs.

A Cars magazine article featuring the red 66 car seems to indicate it was a new car, although is doesn't specifically state that.

27. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne
    from Goneville

Dave I could not help to notice the front half-bumper on the 61. I take it that these were legal back in the factory war days.

Thanks
    Travis

[​IMG]

28. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne
    from Goneville

Dave sorry about the big picture ........... I am a FNG :rolleyes:

29. skywolf

skywolf

This is from the Performance Associates website:

"For 1966, Les Ritchey updated his ’65 A/FX entry with a number of innovations and a bright candy apple red paint scheme from Colormaster of Azusa, Calif. Mel Burns Ford of Long Beach, Calif., sponsored the car."

http://www.pahorsepower.com/page12/page12.html

30. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

We each take our turn as the FNG...

Back in those days, we used to "push" the envelope as far as we could. Like in the early days of NASCAR, you were only cheating if you got caught. You will notice similar other examples of "innovation" in the early 60's, even external hood scoops, if you check pictures of the period. We got some prototype aluminum bumpers from DST, and just "put 'em on." Whenever we would get protested, they always just wanted to tear down the engine. We used to carry two gasket kits at all times. It was a Holman & Moody NASCAR engine, and of course it would check "legal."

As far as "innovation" though, we were paupers, as that car was actually Jack Gray's Bob Ford Demonstrator, and he had to either sell it or buy it himself when it got to be a certain age or miles. So Jack always reminded us we could only do things that could be "undone" on his racing demo's when it was time to sell them.

I knew of certain '61 Pontiacs that had no seat springs, no window regulators, no carpet backing, no heater or A/C, no factory wire harness, and were meticulously cleaned of all sound deadener, sealers, ect. These cars were almost as light as what our 63 lightweight Galaxy turned out to be, but that was 2 years before us. Dave Lyall <O:p