Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

So finally got my project off the ground today. Got the body of my 53 pulled off and will start tearing down the chassis soon. Then onto notch and 4 link and start the airbag setup. More pics to follow.

2. krooser

krooser

That's a pretty clean old Chevy...

3. todztoyz

todztoyz

Don't see too many of the '53-'54 coupes. Have fun.

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

what 4 link are you using?

5. 60 ford

60 ford

The car looks very solid, Good luck with your build.

6. Don't throw that original frontend away....people are using them on other cars. Apparently, its pretty popular. There is a current thread going on that swap idea...check it out.

Neat Chevy!

Murph

7. Nice project. Keep us posted.

8. lowelife

lowelife

Looks like a nice start.

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Have you givin any thought to trailing arms instead of 4 link? I prefer them as you dont have to get into rear seat pan and the pinion angle change thru its motion is much less....just a thought. Nice looking project tho!

10. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Project! Super clean body to start with too!

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I really like the body style. I'd love to find one as nice as that , but its unlikely in New England to find one that solid. Have fun with it. What are your plans for it? A nice little 327 backed up by a 5 speed would be sweet.

12. schaefer

schaefer

Nice lookin' coupe!

13. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks for the posts. Im going to keep the 235, dual carbs and split header. Goal is to have this thing as low as it possibly can, looking to lay rocker if everything works out. Space is gonna be tight underneath with the stock brake assembly and dual exhaust down the one side of the tranny. I want to attempt to keep the brake setup as i dont want a booster or anything on my firewall. Have not purchased a 4 link setup yet, if anyone could suggest a good company to go through please let me know.

14. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

can you send me a link to this thread?

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

16. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

So more progress on the car today. Got the whole chassis degreased and the motor pulled out today. I have already organised a newer rear axel to get away from the torque tube factory one. Question i am asking is, once the closed drivline is removed, how do you convert the back of the transmission to accept a normal style driveshaft? If anyone has done this or knows of anyone who has information for me. Please help?

17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

What trans do you have now? You will more than likely need to upgrade to a newer style trans. I cant remember anyone making a kit for that. Not saying there isnt one because if there is somebody on here will know! BTT

18. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Schaefer dropped by my house today and had a look at my coupe. As he already has experience in baggin this year vehicle, we tossed around a few ideas. I think im going to update my transmission to a 700r4 automatic and use the stovebolt adapter kit. I will not have very much clearance on the drive side of the motor with split exhaust, brake booster, clutch and 3 speed shift linkage. going to work on getting the rest of the chassis pulled apart this week so i can get the frame and front subframe sandblasted and ready for fabrication.

19. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

i dig the 53, in all its forms, good luck with your project!! take lots of pics, keep us posted!

20. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Anyone ever used the langdon's stovebolt adapter for automatic transmission's to the 235 motor??? Got my hands on a 700r4 transmission and am interested in buying this adapter. Just love to hear feedback on ease of installation and how good it works?

21. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

great start keep posting...

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

looks solid
    MrC

23. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

So got more progress on the car done this week/weekend. Got the rest of the chassis torn down and got all the bits off i dont want to keep. Got my notch cut out at work on friday and ended up getting the sides tacked on as i wanted to get my axle center lines before i pulled the rear end out. Today with help from my buddy, i got the torque tube rear end out as well as the gas tank, and transmission crossmember. Plan to get the rest of the front suspension stripped this week so I can take it all to the sandblasters before Christmas. After the holidays, I will start all the main fabrication to the frame; triangulated 4link, new raised crossmember for 700r4, notch front subframe and modify lower control arm for SS6 slam specialties air bag. Will update as much as possible.

Attached Files:

24. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

more

Attached Files:

25. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Looking good...what engine?

26. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

looks Good.Subscribed!!

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

keeping the original 235 Inline 6. offenhauser intake with dual carburetors, split exhaust and 700r4 transmission.

28. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

subscribed too...
    I'm keeping the original six too, with an offy intake and fenton split exhaust...
    Right now I still have the original trans too, but planning to change it and bagging the car in the future!

29. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Front subframe all torn down tonight. Decided i am going to fabricate new lower control arms instead of trying to modify the original ones to work.

Attached Files:

30. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Merry christmas everyone here on the hamb! I know its not xmas but im not sure if im going to be posting here again till afterwards. Hope everyone gets the parts they asked for, as do i!

Got a lot of progress done today as im now on holidays. Decided to build new lower control arms as the factory ones are junk and wanted something a little bit stronger and more suited for my airbag setup. Used 3/8" flatbar and bent up some new ones. I also stepped the lowers 1" so i dont have to cut out as much on the front subframe. Turned out better than i expected and should be installing them tomorrow to see if they work. More work done on my notch as well, hopefully have it complete before the weekend.

Take care everyone!

Attached Files:

rytang likes this.