Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Engine Dragster How To Build One

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. some people get carried away, the most often asked question when they check out the fed is aren't you afraid of loosing the family jewels and it's the least likely to happen. they focus on things that look dangerous to them. your chassis inspector will advise you so that it will pass

2. tad626

tad626

i've been doing this since the mid 60's, so just let me say, the the rules of racing, all racing, are written in blood. No blood, no rules.

Art

3. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Rules Schmoolz.

Build a dragster, race the dragster. Nobody says you can't do it. There are more non-sanctioned dragstrips in the USA than sanctioned strips that will gladly take your entry fee and let you race, as long as your car is not a pile of shit, and as long as you have the proper saftey gear. Have you seen some of the garbage door cars at the tracks running sub 10 second ET's? The dragster is just more prone to judgement by others since there isn't any skin covering up the chassis design and execution. If you want to actually compete in NHRA/IHRA and deal with all their bullshit, go ahead an get yourself a modern front engine cookie cutter junior fueler and spend a fortune trying stay on top of the points race. I don't see the point in that, but that's just me.

4. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Does anyone have any rearend tips, I have a 59/60 olds open rear in my fed twin, I have seen square spider gears but are there any other ways to build a "tight" rear as I cant afford a MW spool and shafts yet

5. billydragracer

billydragracer

Hey everyone.. great thread..I'm a first time poster and new the the board.. I just purchased a FED it is about 180 inch WB. trying to find out some history about it. I do need to update the cage and kidney bars.. i will get some pics posted soon.. ooking forward to racing at summit motorsports park (my home track). my mind is filled with lots of ??? i've sent for the sfi book and have my NHRA rule book in hand.. I will be looking for parts also so hopefully this board will help that out..

6. Well said! I popped back to this thread after a few months and it turned into Volvo safety talk!

I understand and get SFI, I am dealing with SFI safety specs for my LSR gear. I also understand that if you want to build a vintage style digger you have to look at it another way. Not concessions to SFI but they are looking at the modern common type of car.

It would be like comparing my flintlock to a Model 70. Both are safe and effective but many modern gun folks have no clue what they are looking at when you break out the smoke pole.

Kerrys car is well built and safe, if not, Rooman who is an accomplished dragster pilot would not have strapped into the newly built car at Mokan for some testing!

7. Just remember when you go to race at any NHRA or IHRA sanctioned facility with your " NHRA SFI Tagged Chassis" you still sign a waiver if you die its tough shit!

Also look on the SFI site for their disclaimer concerning specifications. As for NHRA inspectors give me a call and I will tell you a few good stories that will make you laugh til you have a stroke.

Brians chassis's and Kerry's chassis are well built and well engineered, ignore those who talk shit!

Allen in PA,

8. metalman

metalman

Geez, planning on starting a FED this winter so I pulled this tread back up, gotten somewhat ot.
    Couple questains, what is the best steering box to use, one that works well but hopefully doesn't break the bank to much. Best place to buy one? Same questain for front wire wheels/ tires but I'm sure they aren't cheap!

9. King Chassis had a VW bus box in one of his threads, maybe this one?

Also, Kerry built his wires with cycle hubs, the thread was brought to the top recently.

10. billydragracer

billydragracer

here is a picture of it..any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

11. On any old frame you should get it checked before you go crazy on it as it may not cert for what you want to do, course you could always put a Flathead in it and keep it above 10 sec and have fun with it........get a rule book first..........

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is a current FED with a boxed steel frame and Chrome Alloy tube cross members. It has a torque monster in it for an engine and it is rock solid.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

13. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Norm, not to burst your bubble, but that's an altered, not an FED.

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

It is Bad A$$ tho! :D

15. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

16. bigviking0001

bigviking0001

This is the car I was finishing up last Feb. Turned out pretty good and sailed through SFI 2.6 Certification......

Attached Files:

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Uhhh.......the frame isn't boxed.....it's all chromoly tubing. Certified to 7.50's....

[​IMG]

18. FRYE66

FRYE66

Thanks, that was great. I've got an old FED that looks like a pro shop build (nice fits and welds etc.) I'm going to build new frame because of rusted out lower rail. Where can I look at some old pictures to try and figure out who built it and the year. It has 4.00x18 avons on front rear ends gone. thanks again

19. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

And it's a funny car chassis, not a FRONT ENGINE DRAGSTER.

20. Rich1028

Rich1028

very sharp!!
    any details on it?
    how long?
    what you going to run for engine?
    ect......

21. TIG Man

TIG Man

front engine diggers are alive and well. Denton Arc race cars is another source for the front engine dragster.

22. TIG Man

TIG Man

Denton Arc Race Cars is another source for front engine dragsters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.