Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , sounds like the brakes got really hot & locked up . Might want to check them & re-adjust 'em .

2. big creep

big creep

you need to take the edge off of the shoes! i replaces my back brakes and a friend told me to shave the ends down just a bit, when new from the factory they have a beveled edge. if you dont do this he said they will lock up! take the drum off and take a file to them, should fix it right up!

forgot to tell you shave the edge where the drum curves, leading edge if the shoe, both sides.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

my gut feeling is they are too tight. i will try the adjuster. thanks for the quick response

ahh, never heard that. its definitely too tight. if i shave/file that edge i wont need to bleed them again will i?

4. big creep

big creep

no just leave them mounted, take the drum off and just file away, you want a taper is all. if they are left square they tend to lock up. the top and the bottom of the shoe, just put a curve on it.

5. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

perfect. i will try that. and thank you for the reply. i really appreciate the knowledge

6. big creep

big creep

yea no problem!

7. Make sure the pushrod in the master cylinder is allowing the piston to fully return to the seat. I had the exact thing happen to a non-HAMB car. I ended up using some flat washers between the master cyl. and the booster.

8. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks for chiming in with the info "Artfrombama". I will check out the master cylinder also tomorrow when i get home.

What would i do without the H.A.M.B.? awesome people

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Happy to try to help . Filing the bevel on the edge of the shoes surely can't hurt either .

10. I'll be going thru this brake thing soon to. I like to have the new shoes shaped to the drum before assembly. Just better contact

11. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

i adjusted the brakes. only the front right one seemed tight. i didnt grind / file down the bevels because i wasnt sure which edge you are referring to. On this picture is it the red or the green edge?

[​IMG]

12. big creep

big creep

yes the green part! make it so it matches the curve on the inside of the drum, dont worry if its not perfectly round, it will wear in.

13. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

sweet! im learning. baby steps, but im learning. thanks again man

14. big creep

big creep

no worries, i learned this from a friend too. i never had them lock up before, but he told me it had happened to him!

15. ratrodjunkie

ratrodjunkie

After adjusting have someone press the brake and release. Imediately try to turn the wheel after the brake is released and make sure it turns free again. Repeat this for all 4 wheels. If that checks out good then it could be as Artfrombama said. You may not have any free play in the brake pedal to the master cylinder. The pedal should be able to move a little bit before it starts to press in the master cylinder.

16. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

sweet. gonna have to get a friend over for that. speaking of Thanksgiving.. I am Thankful for the knowledge i get from you guys. It's like have mechanics i can trust help me out with troubleshooting for free. You guys rule. I owe you a beer or 12

17. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Nice car! The changes you are making look great!

18. Did you notice if when the brakes were locked if the brake pedal was super-hard and no free play?

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yes, it was super hard and barely had any play when they were locked up

20. OK, the fluid isn't returning to the reservoir. Try some flat washers like mentioned above, if it works normally remove the flat washers and shorten the pushrod the thickness of the washer.

21. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

ok, i smoothed/rounded that bevel (it was only on the fronts, the rear were stright and didnt seem to stick)

[​IMG]

22. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

ha, well, that wasnt the problem. i just took it for a ride and it froze up again. So... one more picture. just so i know where i should put these washers.

[​IMG]

23. daddio211

daddio211

NO! Those are "crush washers" and can only be used once. Locate the rod that actuates the master cylinder when you push the pedal. THAT'S where the washers will go!

24. Damifino

Seriously, I think your problem is the pushrod that pushes the piston INSIDE the master cylinder is too long, either from improper adjustment or mismatch of parts.

25. ratrodjunkie

ratrodjunkie

From the looks of that pic I don't think you can do the washer trick to get more free play. It looks like the master cylinder is bolted from the side.
    So look at the rod that is going inside of that black rubber boot and see if it is adjustable. It may be two pieces with a locking nut. If it is just shorten that rod a little and try it.
    If it is not adjustable you will have to take it out and shorten it a little. Probably a 1/8 of a inch should be plenty.

26. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks for chiming in. i will give that a try

27. bbbronc

bbbronc

car looks awesome!
    x2 on the m.c. actuating rod

28. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

I have been having the same issues with my 51. I am going to replace the master cylinder and see if that works.

29. chopo

chopo

i didnt read the entire post sorry.... Did you put new rubber fluid supply lines on?

30. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yes, everything brake related is Brand New including lines, fittings springs, shoes, drums, master, etc..