Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. customcory

customcory

It was a stocker when I got it. I traded a Nicson 216 side plate cover and 3oo dollars for the lacquer job, then had to rub it myself.It was a attempt at having a lowrider then. Got the bumpers from California back then. But now it has bags in the rear and a sectioned front crossmember , dropped spindles, c-ed frame , 6.70-15s, tunneled floor new sheetmetal in the trunk. And it will get chopped this time around. It was a daily driver for decade or so.

2. Any pics as it stands? I love before and afters.....:)

3. customcory

customcory

Believe it or not, I don't have a lot of new pics of it because it stays packed in the back of the garage. I got to get back on it! But heres one, not a good one....
    user9646_pic248857_1293401933.jpg

4. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

This is a great thread.I have a question for some of you,what rims do I need to mount 54 Olds spinners on my 51?.I know they have to 15x6,but how deep of an offset?

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I pulled a long and a short, not sure exactly wich ones, It rides fine with people in the back with some extra air in the rear shocks. The more wieght I just add a little more air. As it sits in the pic it would be a rough ride for passengers without a small notch..

6. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Is that it!!! come on Guys there's got to be more out their than this

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yeah I know this turned out to be bummer. I guess everyone else is runnin bags. C'mon don't be shy post some pics.

8. customcory

customcory

If it helps any , I had 15x7 Chevy rallye wheels on my 51, and 53 Fiestas. My hubcap would just hit the grease cap. I hate to admit, but I went without the greasecaps to run the caps. Something with about a 1/8 to 3/16ths more offset than a rallye wheel would be a place to start.:D

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Customcory what is a sectioned front crossmember?? love the '78 version

10. customcory

customcory

I took 1 1/2 inches out of the height of the front crossmember, reinforced the inside of it while it was apart, then added to the bottom of it to add some strength. The bottom part I added didn't come below the bottom control arms. I need to add some pics, I'll see what I can do.Also had to relocate the center steering link area back down 1 1/2 in. to compensate, so it would be back where it was to start with. but it gives you the ever elusive extra 1 1/2 in. without changing the ride or geomentry.

11. Take his word for it......:)

12. I'd like to see some pictures of this. It sounds like a good way to get that little extra bit lower.
    Anybody else ever try this?

13. backyard208

backyard208

Hello,
    Here is my '49 chevy Fleetline Deluxe. Haulin ass and layn low

Attached Files:

14. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

You guys have been inspiring me. I don't have a Chevy but I am building a 51 Olds coupe and I've been contemplating the suspension. Nothing against air ride but I think that riding static is cooler and definitely more traditional. I usually give props to guys I see with half their tail pipes drug off.

15. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Just got some 3" blocks for my 52 Chevy Hardtop. Not sure what I am going to do on the front yet. I currently have 14" wheels on it. Should I go with 15" wheels? Do I have to run air shocks inthe back to get a decent ride? Love this post and can't wait to learn more. Thanks,

16. Lucky444

Lucky444

Thanks for that info "Lone Star". Seems the air shocks are the key element to keep that rear end from bottoming out with the leaf springs pulled. Maybe I'll stop being cheap and just buy some lowered leaf springs.

Does anybody have a lead on lowered leaf springs for these early fifties Chev's other than Jamco?

17. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here are a few more pics of the Circle City built and Harpoon painted Chevy at the GNRS earlier this year.

This one sits nicely and the ripped lake pipes add to the effect.

Attached Files:

spiffy1937 likes this.
  18. 'Mo

'Mo

You can call Steve at Buffalo Enterprises. Pretty much a one man operation, so there can be a long wait on modified parts. Good work, though, and a straight shooter.
    http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/index.htm

19. Lucky444

Lucky444

'Mo, thanks for that. Never heard of Buffalo Enterprises. Have you dealt with them before?What was their customer service and products like?

20. 'Mo

'Mo

Yes. I have some dropped spindle uprights that are well engineered (built in caster/camber). These I received quickly, as they were made up ahead of time. I am also waiting on a M/C kit, which I ordered many weeks ago. (Steve tends to work on things in bunches), as well as a disc break kit.

This is not an on-line company, so you have to deal direct by phone.
    Some have expressed difficulty dealing with him, but I have enjoyed our conversations (being somewhat crusty myself.) He certainly has a fondness for old Chevys ( and Packard transmissions too, BTW.) His reputation for quality parts is well established. And like I said, he's a straight shooter.

21. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Lucky444 you should give St. Louis Spring a call, (314) 533-2132, they made some leafs for my 55 Ford. Built to order and very quick turn around.

22. fat141

fat141

Couldn't help myself here.:D 2" dropped spindles and 3' blocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you:):cool:

23. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Fat141, rear bumper looks great!......tri five rear bumper ?

24. fat141

fat141

Thank you. 53 Ponti upside down.

25. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

50 Chevy, I have been driving it this low for 15 years.

26. Wrong, you double the rise. I just did my GMC and got over 1 1/2 inch drop

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  27. slammed49

slammed49

Sold this one but it was stock and static dropped 5"

Attached Files:

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

When I compared the 53/54 to my stock uprights they were less than 7/8 of an inch difference between the two. Not sure how that translates to actual ride height but they definately not an 1.5 difference. Just my experience, you are talking 49 54 cars here, not trucks right ?..

29. fat141

fat141

A picture is worth a thousand words:)
    Rod

30. flyingpiston53

flyingpiston53
    from bristol ri

This pic is from a couple of years ago but this is my 53 it's got dropped spindles and coils up front for 4" of drop and 4" lowered leaf springs out back and 3" blocks for a total of 7" out back the frames is notched I got the spindles from national chevy assoc and all the springs came from jamco they work well car rides pretty good for the ride height which is about 4 or 5 inches

Attached Files: