Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Same for people who call my '53 Plymouth a "classic" It's a '53 Plymouth station wagon. It will NEVER be a classic. Antique, yes. Classic?, no way.

2. I never saw any kind of vehicle that looked like a shoebox.

3. billy zz

billy zz

my main peeve is
    restored
    i see guys that say they have a restored willys jeep for sale all the time.
    wrong engine,seats,paint ,wheels etc.
    they dont seem to know what the word means.

4. or "This car is a rusted out P.O.S. that has been sitting behind my trailer since my grandpappy died."

(No, I never saw this thread before and that is why I am responding to so many old posts. This is a pretty funny thread.)

5. I would certainly prefer a "locally owned" vehicle from a coastal community over one from somewhere far away like Arizona or New Mexico.

6. pinman 39

pinman 39

When did everything become a "Barn Find".

7. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

seems "barn finds" most often turn out to be -open field -or even better, bottom of a river- finds any more as "regular folks try to cash in on the Barret Jackson bucks.

8. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

ditto for AMC!!!!

9. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

ive seen some with" a little rust" that you could stand beside, look in and see your shoes where the floor should be!:confused:

10. Here's a good one:

"Fur sell. Final listing. Nineteen Thirty-one duce coop. Swamp find. All original mint condition. Factory tuck and roll interior, chrome wheels and candy paint. Nice patina, very little rust. All fore doors, windshield and back glass have dark tint. Ran well when parked. I new the original owner. Would make a nice rat rod or restore.
    Serious buyers only. $9999.95 or best offer. If not souled by end of auction going to crusher."

My kind of ad.

11. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

hey! How did you get a pic of my car? :D

12. RUST-FREE!!!! + light damage....nice paint!!

13. You forgot FUBAR.

14. Or a blind back Fordor or a Vic

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What's a blind back? Sounds kinky! Or is that referring to a Briggs bodied Ford?

16. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Complete restoration has several interpretations & is the most maligned word in the automotive world.

17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

In my mind Restored means to bring something back to it's original state, or one of it's original states (like when a vintage hot rod is restored back to the way it was at one point in it's life) but when I see a street rod that is freshly built and they go on about how they restored it... I want to smack them. yes it's rebuilt, but the modified body and boxed frame with non-original suspension is not "Restored"

I was looking at a car on eBay last night that the seller was claiming was a full restoration... but it had worn seats, and there was stains, the engine bay was dirty and I could see rust under the car, it had a fresh paint job and that was it. And I had to laugh because the seller stated he didn't know if the AC worked... if it was fully restored it should work, and even still, he owns it, why can't he fire it up and check?:rolleyes:

18. For sale adds that say "original miles" for an off topic car. "truck has 136000 original miles" well shit I hope so, its not like that 6 digit odometer rolled over on your 2004

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Just seen ??? You mean " Just saw ".

20. Yup.
    I hope "Blind Back" isn't a misused description that annoys;)

21. I just saw a Lincoln Town Car posted on the Kijiji classified site that "was rear ended and ruined the shock observers! - now the computer worked weerd."

I have read some of the previous posts and almost called Bullshit on a couple of them....now that I saw this one today, I'm glad I bit my tongue! Holy SHIT!!! They really are among us!!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  22. Years ago, my wife told me the mechanic told her that her car needed new shock observers (her words,not his). I corrected her and we had a good laugh. To this day, we still call them "shock observers".

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen some set up so poorly that is what all they were.:eek:

24. Jingles

Jingles

Using the word "motor" when talking about an "engine". Your windshield wipers have a motor; your starter is a motor; that V-8 under the hood is an ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Relax there buddy, don't use up all of the exclamations because someone else might need a few.

Instead of wasting time telling us hambers, get on the horn and call Motor trend magazine to change its format to only electric or change its name to engine trend. Try Webster's and have them change "motoring" to what ever the hell you think it should be because its not driving down the road. Then congress because they will need a national plan to rename "The Department of Motor Vehicles" to engine vehicles or change to only electrical powered vehicles.

You know its just too nice today, I'm going to go ride my enginecycle. You can call Ford and let them know that all that fomoco stuff was wrong, and motorcraft better stop making parts for engines.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  26. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

I saw a slant v6 in an OT dodge truck on craigslist. I bet changing one bank of the sparkplugs is a PITA.

27. And Chrysler should change their parts business name to "Enpar", right? :D
    How about all the manufacturers selling electric "motor oil" that we mistakenly put in our engines?
    Hell, GM should change their name to General Engines, but GE is already taken...damn.

28. Oh yea there's quite a few more of those too.

but what i really want to know is why we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway ?
    Wait a min while I add the emphasis in an attempt to convey my feelings.

UGHHH...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

31Vicky....

Thank you for expressing what most of the rest of us are thinking. Every time a thread likes this appears, an officer with the Linguistic Police gets his diaper in a wad and attempts to correct the ignorant masses on the motor vs. engine issue. Looking at a recent edition of a dictionary such as Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary will reveal that the definitions for motor and engine are essentially the same:

Motor: 1) Machines that create motion. A machine that converts energy into motion and can be used as a power source, e.g. to drive another machine or to move a vehicle. 2) Engine the engine of a car or other self-propelled vehicle.

Engine: 1) Machine for powering equipment a machine that converts energy into mechanical power or motion.

For better or worse, language continues to change and evolve ... maybe it's time to retire the motor/engine argument. Most of us are tired of hearing it.

30. jalopy45

jalopy45

In the 50's and 60's, a car was channeled, not body dropped?? that started with the mini twucks, it was a tri-power, not a 6 pack, that's what you drank, body filler was lead, not some plastic goop, and hot rods were driven, not carried around on a trailer like a boat. Just my $.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.