Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Pontiac Safari Wagon.. should I?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Re-WIND!

I didn't write that Nomads are "better." I disagreed with dmw356's comment that these Pontiacs are "10x cooler than Nomads." Besides, it was a tongue-in-cheek, kinda teasing him response anyway. De-bunch your panties now! ha ha.

These Pontiacs are super nice cars, I'd LOVE to have one - and I said so in my posting - and for a long time they didn't get their due respect. Having said all that, '55-'57 Nomads have been recognized for decades as amongst the coolest cars ever and even people that haven't a clue what car is what sometimes know what a Nomad is. So there goes the "10x cooler" comment.

I'd still love to have one of these and I would feel it is an extremely cool car to own.

Now everyone can go back to their "my Dad's car is better than your Dad's car" point of view. Rant over. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. - Dan

2. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Whew, somehow I missed this photo til now. Friggin awesome.

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

definitely worth it.. the problem with 1955 thru 1958 Ponchos was their "orphan" one -year engines so 316 parts can be a pain, but if you just wanna drive her and enjoy rather than going full-on "concourse rotisserie" restoration, then any engine will bolt on with minor modifications.. she's a beauty.. not as crazy bout the 56's as i am the 55s but then I am prejudiced.. still a dream though, and theres so much you can do with her.. consider skirts, and most of all, find an original illuminating "rocket" hood ornament..

4. Normbc9

Normbc9

I am familiar with the '55-'57 Pontiac Safari wagons. They are a rock solid automobile. I wouldn't be afraid to take on a project with this car. I do remember seeing some Pontiac 317 V-8's with a dual quad manifold on them and it was a factory installed item. The one I saw was at Hine Pontiac in San Diego and it was having some dealer installed options that day. It really ran good. I still see Pontiac 287's, 317's and 347's at the Recyclers yards.
    Normbc9

5. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Pull the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I had one in Tucson when I had my shop!
    56 draged out of the Desert where it sat for over 20 years
    loaded down with Catus Needles from Pack rats it took me a Whole
    week to get them out, was fully loaded
    Sold it in 1989 for 1800 to a Restorer in Tucson
    regret the Day I sold Great Wagon
    Grab it
    just my 3.5 cents

7. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

The rear hatch area was repaired you say, was it the upper glass tailgate frame? They were prone to cracking and aren't a big deal to fix. If I recall they were chrome-plated with pot metal frame? I remember both my Dad's '56 Nomad frames were cracked & welded back up.

As long as all the Safari-specific trim and curved back glass & sliders are there and not cracked...rock on! That glass is crazy expensive to get as used, NOS or repro. She looks really clean and buildable. Good luck!

8. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

If that is the one behind the house on Baseline I looked at it a couple of years ago. Lots of potential but needs everything and his $$$ is just a little high. BTW the padded dash on those is super rare.

9. Great pic for sure!

He had that illuminated h/o, but sold it earlier.. crazy coincidence!

I would loved to of been alive during those times.. I just have to settle for old film footage!

It could be worth it.. doing all the work myself!

That was good deal, that guy made a 'good' buy!

Yeah, he had the upper window frame hinges tended to. The frame it self is okay.

Being that it's complete, never wrecked & solid. That and the time I will save, not having to hunt anything down. Just that makes it worth it to me. Even though, I truly enjoy finding what I need.. though my 58 Biscayne pushed the limit. These old cars aren't getting any younger.. We'll see what happens

10. JJK

JJK

11. I am smiling!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  12. No Plan

No Plan

You should go get it, before someone else does! After all the work you did to your 59 El Camino, that Safari will be a walk in the park!

13. Thanks man! I don't think I would lose out.. They're not getting any newer! Nice avatar, btw!

14. JimSwann

JimSwann

Heck, I love it.

15. olpaul

olpaul

Safaris have a cool factor that can't be beat. I love my Nomad but Safaris are so hard to find in that condition. Go for it.

16. If you decide you aren't going to get it let me know;I need a 56 to complete my collection lol I have a 3 car garage but it missing one Safari.

Attached Files:

17. They'll do that to ya!

That seems to be the overall opinion.. Quite popular

I will keep you in mind.. Let me know!

18. I'd like to know how they got those reversed wheels under the quarters on the 56;must have narrowed the rear end because even with 215/65 -15 tires on stock rims they rub on the skirt brackets if you take a corner too hard.

19. I would! Grab it up. Start a build thread! You can justify it because a wagon is "practical".

20. I wouldn't trust leaving a Safari/Nomad anywhere out of my site. Other than that.. Real practical! My old sdn dlvy was great.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

So did you buy it ?!

22. Cymro

Cymro

Did you get it??? the suspense is too much.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Don't get it and regret it for life. These are so bad ass bro, jump on it if it's a financial possibility. These don't come along every day. ~sololobo~

24. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

By all means, buy it before it gets shipped overseas and is gone forever..

25. I was snooping around the net, trying to find comparable prices.. I stumbled across a similar 56 Safari, but it ran, no broken glass & the floor boards were already fixed - for $2,500 less. So I am gonna pass.

26. 56madmook

56madmook
    from long beach

i know the guy selling that safari because im the one who straightened the upper hatch/liftgate. the torsion rods that alleviate the weight on the upper liftgate frames twist the potmetal and cause them not to seat in the body opening. the one that came off this safari was heavily twisted, but now should fit great.

good luck if you are you still interested in buying it

27. I'm pretty sure, it's going to Texas. Last I heard, anyways

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I hope I live long enough to read the post you put on here about "the one that got away" back in 2011. I'm thinking it should be around 2015 when one in worse shape ends up on Ebay and sells for around $70-$80,000.

Frank

29. Kerry67

Kerry67

That is a big HELL YES. Cool...

30. The title would read "And The Fourth, Was A Safari.."

First one to get away, was a 56 Nomad.. Mr Barrios'
    Second, was Dirty Ernies' 57 Nomad.
    Then, Mel Sayres' 55 Nomad.. Which used to belong to Scotty, from Scottys' Muffler
    And Lastly, Joes' Safari..

But the one I hate thinking about is the 37 Chevy Coupe for $1,500.. It was so nice, I didn't even ask how much. One of those huge 'Aaaarrgghh!' type moments