Register now to get rid of these ads!

tbucket for desoto need opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daveymac405, Nov 23, 2011.

1. daveymac405

daveymac405

I'm thinking about letting go of the t bucket and bringing this 53 desoto firedome 2 dr home after thanksgiving, I'm having a tough time with this, he is asking 7000 for the firedome, no hemi, it has a chy 360 installed, opinions?? i like the car and think it would make a cool kustom. can't find many pictures of 53 desoto firedome kustoms. what do you think?

Attached Files:

• d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      528.1 KB
      Views:
    • d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      484 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      497 KB
      Views:
    • d9.jpg
      d9.jpg
      File size:
      499.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Heo2

Heo2

I say keep the bucket

3. daveymac405

daveymac405

I also know some of you will tear apart the wheels and tires i expect that, besides reverse chromes and wides whites might make its way to the christmas list.
    the bucket is a fair weather car and we have not had much of that lately. I'm play with my retirement here so i need to becareful. is this car a good investment? can these cars have the roof lowered? i have never seen one chopped. thanks guys.

4. Jantrix

Jantrix

Well it has the benefit of being a rather unusual two-door, an appealing body style (at least to me) and it seems like its in good shape. If it is pretty rust free (go over that paint with a cloth covered magnet) I don't think it's a bad deal. And you might be able to sell those silly rims/tires for enough to cover the cost of something better.

5. windsor mike

windsor mike

if u do it get different rims. personally, i would go for it. i have a 54 desoto 4dr and i love them.

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are not swapping for it are you ? Kind of a high price for an unfinished car.

7. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

DE.SO.TO.

my ex gf's dad had a t-bucket back in the early 90's. we went for a ride in 40 degree weather, once. not fun.

8. windsor mike

windsor mike

ive seen them chopped. if u dont use a different back window then u have to sink the original one. windshield is pretty easy to cut for being a curved windshield.

9. an early hemi between the fenders would make it an easier decision, but a 360 is a good dependable motor (and wheel selection aside, props to the guy for keeping it all MOPAR). and even though the "T" looks like a blast, I can see the practicality of a closed car. what's the interior like?

10. flathead okie

flathead okie

I'd keep the T-bucket. Look for something else. If you wanted to sell the Desoto later, you wouldn't get as much compaired to a chevy/ford of the same year. also body/suspension parts are not as plentiful.

11. Davy
    I am not familiar with your T bicket so let me just give you my thoughts on the desoto.

I think there are some things that I would change about it. Wheels, maybe a mild chop and french some stuff. I love those desoto grills in about everything but a desoto. Mabe a different grill treatment to make it a full on custom.

The 360 can be good realiable engine, depends on the condition of it. The T bucket is a fair weather vehicle where as the desoto can be at the very least a 3 season vehicle and maybe 4 season depending on your driving skills.

12. farmer12

farmer12

I say go for it, and ask a Hemi for Christmas.

13. daveymac405

daveymac405

it would not be a direct swap car for car, someone made me an offer on the bucket.
    the desoto interior is not bad, looks like tweed. its lowered but not bagged so the trunk is not all cut up, he said it has vintage air that comes with it, just needs installed.

Attached Files:

• d5.jpg
      d5.jpg
      File size:
      453.5 KB
      Views:
    • d4.jpg
      d4.jpg
      File size:
      488.5 KB
      Views:
    • d10.jpg
      d10.jpg
      File size:
      491.8 KB
      Views:
  14. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I'd go for it. I don't know how tall you are but I know there's not a lot of room in a bucket. You could load all your friends for cruise night in the 'Sota.

15. adamshumard

adamshumard

I really dig the car and it has alot of potential as a kustom. BUT in this economy and in the Midwest I think its a bit over priced. If there is any negotiation in the price I would definitely consider it. Also selling the grille and wheels would give you a decent kustomizing budget.

16. tcat55371

tcat55371

I just traded my Bucket off for a 60 Falcon and yeah it needs alot of work to make it the way I want it. I miss the bucket but my back, knees and butt don't. lol Also it's hard to get used to having a large steering wheel again. Seems to take forever to turn. :)

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like it, but I like unusual cars that look cool. This fits into that category once you lose the wheels. Love the suede.

18. rdrunner1974

rdrunner1974
    from Vermont

Loose the wheels and grille. Put in the A/C, chrome reverse with 60's on the rear, 75's up front.
    I see many T's at car shows but few if any Desoto's. You won't need to worry bout getting caught in rain, I see a lot of +++'s for you.
    That's my thoughts. It's really what you and your family want that matters.;)

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that doesn't look like a $7,000 car to me.

20. chuckbob

chuckbob

Keep the T Bucket.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The DeSoto would have to be awfully nice to get that kind of dough. True value probably less than half.

I like DeSotos and would have it in my driveway but to most buyers, the value is not there.

22. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

23. Squablow

Squablow

Me either. It is a neat car, but the lack of a Hemi and the fact that it looks to be very much unfinished to me makes me think that's way too much to be paying for that car.

If you've got the cash, there are some unreal deals out there right now, and as an investment (your words), the DeSoto is a poor choice. I'm a total whore for 50's Mopars and even I'm not seeing that much money there. It's not even a Sportsman.

24. paintcan54

paintcan54

Keep your bucket, you'll be glad you did in the end.