Register now to get rid of these ads!

offy breathers, Am I a dumbass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KROWN Kustoms, Nov 20, 2011.

1. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

HELP? I just broke in my 358, brand new rebuild a little blow by at first then the rings seated no leaks in that heat cycle. next heat cycle valve covers leaked (edelbrock cast aluminum) fixed that, now my offy style breathers are blowing oil at higher (3000 or so) rpms. Any one else had this problem?:(

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Put a wristband, like tennis players wear, on the breather.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Or maybe a Scrunchi.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Are the breathers baffled in any way or not. Alot depends on how they are installed.

5. Mark T

Mark T

Is there a baffle under or in the breathers? without a baffle, oil may be spashing up at higher rpms causing them to drip.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Try a set of baffled inserts for the breathers. Summit and Jegs sells them and they work. I have a set and it solved my blow-by worries.

I used to use a "scrunchie" or the top part of a sock rolled up. It worked, but turned ghey when I forgot to remove them at a cruise-in.:D

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a PCV? If not, you need one. Also, when you mounted the breathers if you drilled a shit load of holes in about a 2X3in rectangle where the breather mounts, that is waaay more than you need. Weld or bolt some kind of baffle to keep liquid oil away from the breather hole.

If liquid oil has a clear shot to the breather hole, you are gonna need a bunch of sweat bands to keep oil off you windshield..

Good luck, -Abone.

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

If you look at the stock breathers on a SMC PCV hole you will see why they don't blow oil. flamedabone is correct on not drilling too many holes.

Ago

9. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

well i guess i fd' up on that one! drilled a shit load of holes like a dumbass. never used'em before so i didnt know? it has a baffle inside but i guess too many holes for effectiveness. can i shove somethin inside the breather to slow it down? i have a fill tube with a breather cap.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A single 1/4" hole will relieve any pressure buildup in the cover area. I should be drilled in a location that will end up being at the bottom of the cavity in the breather so any oil blown out into this area will quickly drain back into the cover. This way there will be no accumulation of oil in the breather and no /little chance that any will be blown out the vents of the breather to the outside. Drill 2 holes and make it foolproof. Also drill the holes where there is no exposure to direct oil spray and you've virtually eliminated any possibility of oil outside the breather.

Frank

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

cut a plate that matches the flange portion (it can be thin) drill one hole that matches any one of the lower holes you drilled in the valve cover, make/add another gasket and bolt it back on, and for sure,,, dont tell anyone what you did on the first attempt.

Oh shit to late for that last part.

12. I've seen holes with rtv in them to block them or you may be able to make a cork gasket with just a couple holes matched up too.

13. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Ha! yeah. Its a good thing I have no shame:D

14. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

I thought about that last night before the suga plums started dancing. I also thought about shoving some of those pot scrubbers the crackheads buy at the store to shove in the breathes before I put the new revised gaskets on. Maybe slow the oil velocity down a bit.

15. Ole don

Ole don

The pot scrubers would also act as air filters and bug repelents. Or 3M pads.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Offy style breathers came with 2 drilled plates inside that held a foam rubber breather element sandwiched in between them that usually has deteriorated to mush by now. Mine still had the plates and I used them as a pattern to cut the green nylon(?) "Scotch Brite" pot scrubbers available in every grocery store with a pair of scissors. It takes about 3 or 4 pieces to fill the breather between the plates. The metal plates are easy to fabricate with 3/16" holes to let the air pass through if yours are missing. There are lugs inside for the plates to rest on. Put a plate in and stack up the S.B. and then the other plate on top. The SB will compress so that the plates are locked in place just like the foam did when they were new.

The factory breather (oil fill cap with a coarse breather element) on my Stude engine above drips some and a tennis wrist sweat band addresses that but the Offy breathers ...not a trace.

Yes it has a PCV system.

17. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

My solution is to make a plate that is same shape as inside of rocker cover that extends into the roll at top of cover and about 3/4 inch to each side of breather holes. After you have drilled holes in plate use a couple of washers between the plate and cover for breathing .... Splashing oil will not reach holes in side of cover...Worked for me....

18. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

yeah , I think I may have a game plan now. Thanks guys.

19. mustangsix

mustangsix

Second the PCV. Without it you'll always get some fumes, vapor, and oil trying to escape the crankcase no matter how you baffle those things.

20. cooger

cooger

Am I a dumbass?

yes

21. boutlaw

boutlaw

You ain't the only dumbass, I did it as well, FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS that were still with the old Offy breathers, which showed a "bunch-o" 1/4 inch holes to be drilled between the two mounting holes on either end. Glad I read this thread, I'll be plugging some holes tomorrow.

Brad

22. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Yeah, trust me you need to. I just took some steel wool poads and shoved one in each breather, and then made new gaskets with only one hole on the bottom of each still open. Worked like a champ. I do not have a pcv or draft tube due to the edelbrock 3 duece intake and edelbrock finned valve covers, seems to be working fine now with just a little blow by coming out of the fill tube which is no big deal with a tennis band on it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  23. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

YEAH ,we all are until we know everything .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

All of mine are drilled like this with no problems using the scotchbrite filter medium described above.

25. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Most all breathers I have had "blow". They have all leaked to some degree. Always have to add some type filter.

26. boutlaw

boutlaw

Yeah, I hate to admit to being a DA after following the instructions, and since I don't have the car on the road yet to see if it really blows oil mist, it is good to know about the scotchbright trick and that at least one person has not experienced blowby when drilling all the "instruction recommended" holes. Good thread that gives me some additional information. Nobody likes an oily windshield.

Brad

27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I have 2 fixes for drooling Offy breathers. I make a blank cork gasket that goes between the breather and valve cover that can have a couple matching holes punched in them (or block off the breather altogether for just the look). The other is take a piece of sheetmetal slightly longer and wider than the breather base, drill the 2 mounting holes, and mount it inside the cover and stand it off with a flat washer or two. This works well with breathers mounted to the roof of the cover, but need to be slightly modified for breathers mounted vertically.