Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 39 Plasma cutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordz of kuztomz, Nov 22, 2011.

1. any one have one..any good? is it sheet metal friendly??.. our miller spectrum 375 died. so i found a cutmaster 39 , and need some info on it before i go get it..any info..thanks jesse..

2. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

Last fab shop I worked in had a TD machine. Used it almost every day to cut apart wrecked rail cars. No problems in the 2 years I worked there. Cutting sheetmetal with any plas can sometimes be a little tricky. Maybe find a reputable TD sales rep and ask questions about that specific unit.

3. F&J

F&J

I think you mean Cutmaster 38, meaning 3/8" max.

I bought mine new in maybe 2000. I love it on thin stuff, mostly body work and fab, even cutting rotboxes apart to repair.

I am 100% Miller welder fan, but my local dealer that sold both brands, begged me to try the TD.

4. thanks, .thats exactly what i want to find out..its rated to cut 1/4 steel and up to 5/8 ..but not much info on it on the web..i dont want somthing thats going to warp or cut to much..my 375 was good..this one is rated a lil higher...

5. NO its a Cutmaster True Series 39 ..

6. F&J

F&J

So it's good for 3/9":D

they told me way back, that the 38 was the capacity...guess it was not true.

7. Ted H

Ted H

I've had my CutMaster 38 for several years now and have used it a lot. I have cut 5/8"cast iron but it was pretty ragged. Have cut quite a bit of 1/2" steel and it does OK but pretty slow. Cuts 3/8" steel great. For the thinner stuff like 16 0r 18 guage just turn the amps down.

I've used it a lot recently cutting 3/16'' steel for the frame for my lakes roadster. couldn't be happier.

Ted

8. blt2go

blt2go

got a td 50 and do sheet metal all the time. crank it up and have no problem with whipping out boxing plates or even a hauler bed for the dodge. have cut 5/8 plate but that was the limit for a descent cut. good luck.

9. Have the cutmaster 39 love it for every thing I do in my shop works super nice up to 3/8 material will do up to 1/2 if you go slow slightly ragged on the bottom cuts but still better than a gastorch.Just a info note Thermal Dynamics makes the torch for the Miller machines.

10. I have a TD machine, a Cutmaster 52. It's a little overkill for a hobby shop but it buzzes through half inch nicely and cuts eighteen gage like snips if you move quickly.

11. do you get a nice thin and clean cut on sheet metal 18g 20g my old 375 would give me a razor thin cut..would i expect close to the same with the 39..thanks..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  12. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

13. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Cant go wrong with Thermal Dynamics.

14. Yes it does thin stuff very well.

15. thanks...looks like i will be picking it up tomorrow..

16. I've had mine since 1991 and beat the shit out of it. Still going strong 20 years later. Mines so old it's called a PAK 2XT.