Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

Yesterday was the first day of running and today was the second. Had it running for about 45 minutes on the stand and with the fan never got above 180. The header is starting to look cool.

Shoot me a PM if your ever in the northern indiana area.

Your car looks awesome. Hope to see it in person! Cheers.

2. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

On a sad note, heard Jim Rathmann had a massive stroke and has been placed in hospice.

3. baldtireman

baldtireman

Please don't call out the school busses-I won a race with one of these at the local track. The grandstands were packed that nite ,too! :D

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Please don't post a picture, LOL

5. Buildy

Buildy

Very sorry to hear about Mr Rathmann`s health.

6. Buildy

Buildy

This car was at Latimore Valley in 2010.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Looking for pictures of Billy Tennill from Shelbyville, Kentucky.

8. Buildy

Buildy

28 dreyer,

Those photos of you on the track are very cool!

9. Buildy

Buildy

Would be interested to see photos of the Beletsky Spl from the car`s racing days.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

THAT is priceless!

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

SteveE... You want to bring anything to Cavalcade this year? I have a REALLY big nice vintage Open wheel area coming together.

THAT GOES FOR ALL OF YOU!!

J Shaw

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Also... Here is a picture I figured ya'll might like. MILLER V-16 Roots Blower for the Emmanuel/Burden MILLER Pleasure cars.

The get 10" rotors.

Attached Files:

13. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Our friend Jim Graybeal might be able to help

14. stooge73-83

stooge73-83

The picture is Elisian after wining the race at Terre Haute 1957 in McNamara 83. That's Charlie Szekendy the crew chief smiling in the background with the large straw hat. Elisian asked Charlie to pickup the prize money because there were some big guys looking to get some money from Elisian. Andy Linden was driving the McNamara 73 when the oil gauge broke spraying him with hot oil. I was Charlie's stooge and we had a big party at the Hulman's estate that day.

15. stooge73-83

stooge73-83

Charlie Szekendy told me that Lee Elkins got out of racing because he had a new girlfriend that liked horse racing, so he sold the race cars.

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Count Me in!! I just need to get off my ass and get the car over to be lettered.

17. An insider told me that Ed was actually wanting the car Jimmy Reece was in. Reece had the newer '58 Watson, and the spare Watson was a sister car to that. Reece was chosen for the '58 car by Zink, and Ed had to take the '57 version. When Rathmann got the spare '58 Watson, Ed was even more determined to outdo everything Dick had done, and Dick had the same notion towards Ed. By race day, they hated each other, and some say there was a gambling debt to settle in Chicago "IF" Ed led the first lap-which made Dick even more determined to lead the first lap. And of course the rest is history.

18. racer5c

racer5c

Charlie was a neat old guy, any idea how Louie is doing?

19. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Do you have any idea who built the black #74 Elkins sprint car that was occasionally driven by Andy Linden. Do you know if Harry Turner or Fred Tomshe had any part in its construction?

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Neil, Your on the list for the show. Looking forward to having ya!

21. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Denny Z., thanks for your recent shout out to Dave Dykes Racingthroughtime.com.
    'The Champ' (Rene Charland) recently turned 83.
    Even without the cigar, his 'All Star League' helmet gives away his modified grass roots heritage!
    Last time I saw him he was lighting cherry bombs on the pace laps and dropping them down on the track through the holes in the floorboard for unsupecting competitiors to drive over as they exploded.
    [​IMG]

22. Buildy

Buildy

Just want to wish Josh,and all who frequent this great thread, a safe and Very Happy Thanksgiving!

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

carl s, Some Rene stories....

In addition to being a good racer he was a practical joker and the fans loved him. When Rene was around usually firecrackers would be going off and people would be getting goosed. He loved to tell jokes.

Rene claimed he never spun anyone out but admitted a lot of people backed into him.

Here's a serious story about Rene. One year (I'm guessing 1962 the Bandit years) NASCAR offered to give the next years Daytona 500 Pace Car to whoever sold the most NASCAR memberships or whoever got the most new members. Enter Rene..every race we went to that year during intermission Rene would go up in the grandstands and sell memberships. Guess what he won the Daytona 500 Pace Car....and the rest of the story....the next year most of the races we went to Rene had made a deal with the promoters and they (the promoters) would pay him to bring the car and have it on display and sometimes use it to pace the main event that night. In addition to the "appearance" money we got plus the pace car plus the normal winnings Rene really made out good.

I'm gonna visit Rene this weekend. Denny Z

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I met Rene Charland at Daytona in 1966 when I was helping Harry Hyde. He was a real gentleman, but a fun-loving gentleman and, yes, a practical joker. I liked him.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Buildy! ...and yes,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone.

Joshua Shaw

26. stooge73-83

stooge73-83

Louie is doing well. I called him this summer requesting any pictures he may have of Charlie, for the pictorial book I am attempting to build of the drivers from the South Bend area from 1930 through 1950. These drivers include, Charlie Szekendy, Mike Salay, Charlie Van Acker. If anyone has any pictures or newsclippings, I am Interested.

27. stooge73-83

stooge73-83

The black 74 car was before my time, I remember Louie saying that Sweikert drove a black Elkins car, I wonder if this was the car that Elkins sold to buy some trucks after race at Fort Wayne. I can recall 2 Turner cars. One Elkins bought from Turner after I think Joe James or Nazaruk crashed the 73 at Terre Haute. The other was the car #73 Harry built for Andy Linden to drive in 1957.

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

<TABLE class=tborder id=post7171879 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>stooge73-83<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7171879", true); </SCRIPT>
    Alliance Member

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_7171879 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by monkaz [​IMG]
    Do you have any idea who built the black #74 Elkins sprint car that was occasionally driven by Andy Linden. Do you know if Harry Turner or Fred Tomshe had any part in its construction?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The black 74 car was before my time, I remember Louie saying that Sweikert drove a black Elkins car, I wonder if this was the car that Elkins sold to buy some trucks after race at Fort Wayne. I can recall 2 Turner cars. One Elkins bought from Turner after I think Joe James or Nazaruk crashed the 73 at Terre Haute. The other was the car #73 Harry built for Andy Linden to drive in 1957.

This car at the EMMR I'm told is a Harry Turner collaboration with Fred Tomshe.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Files:

29. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

This is one of two Fred Tomshe Offies. This is the #12 car . Harry Turner's son said he didn't remember his father working on either of the Tomshe cars, therefore it is possible that Tomshe built them by himself.
    The other Tomshe Offy, #21, went to Ed Stone.

30. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

The 73 was the Sweikert car that went to John Wills at Hoover Motor Express for a couple of trucks.
    I think the black #74 only ran in 1954. There are two pictures of the car in "Buzz" Rose's book, "Kings of the Hills" on p. 174.