Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ....Some People....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Nov 21, 2011.

1. i am sorry if i offended anyone. i recive calls from newyorkers daily and they are usually not friendly to me. There is also just something differnt. i have been to newyork a few times on trips and while the matter of fact attitudes my not be considered un friendly, its just the way things are. its really different from what i am use to. again. i did not mean to offend. i just couldnt live there. hell i have a hard enough time dealing with KC. i like my small towns where everyone knows everyone else, people will stop and help you on the side of the road. and no one climbs in my rig when it sittin in a parking lot.

2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

new yorkers tend to get caught up in the stress and hustle and bustle of the city. theyre not the most polite people (im not saying all are like this) but its kind of a tough place to live. i couldnt do it. On a lighter note this thread has turned up some pretty amazing stories!

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

I think if we all had to live in a concrete jungle,no car,take the cab,subway,buses everywhere we go and live on the 40th floor,no yard,no critters we would all have a different attitude.

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

very true. but then again those who live in NYC typically live there because they love it and everything about the city. I personally only go there to see certain things and leave. Im a big wide open spaces type of gal haha....and i enjoy my cars :)

5. Reason #497 why black primer beats a nice shiny paint job. Impervious to finger prints, grease, oil, puke and moronic mothers.

Bob

6. I watched the progress of the build and love those old Mopars, built like Sherman tanks and have this ageless quality about them.

Bob

7. That ain't no shit.

8. ahahahahaaha =P =P lucky you had walked up who knows where that car could have ended up

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Very stupid move in todays world
    remember the guy that got shot for snoring too loud? its that kinda world again.
    dont invite yourself in and I wont drag you out in a black bag

10. Years ago at a National NHRA event standing at Eddie Hills pits right next to Ercie. A young kid walks up goes right under the rope and stands on the front wing of their Top Fueler. Never seen a short blonde woman that pissed in my life!

11. cederholm

cederholm

In fact, originally from New England (with family still there) and now a 20 year resident of NYC I was jokingly taking a small jab at the people from both places. ie: myself! Having chatted with Farmergirl in the past, I was pretty sure she would know where I'm coming from.

I'm sure Kansas is nice too.

12. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Had kids at shows trying to steal my Red Crown valve caps, jumping on running boards & some that always have to see inside. A couple years back when my south of the boarder new neighbors moved in across the street they where always coming in my garage, 4 kids that is, & getting into stuff. When I started fixing there bikes & welding stuff up for there dad I told them I really don't want them in my garage because I can't watch them & there's too many sharp & hot things they could get hurt from. No problem after that. Nice when you tell someone once & they listen. Great neighbors now.

13. pinman 39

pinman 39

Just like at home " Lock your Doors "

14. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I wasn't offended, part of being a New Yorker is getting used to people telling you they hate New York. :)

I'd never get into a serious argument over the internet with anyone. Most of the stuff I post is to be taken lightly.

P.S. New York City has it's own tight knit neighborhoods in which people have the same sort of bonds that people have in small towns. I know everyone's name, and everyone knows my name.

If someone tried to touch or go near my car, half the neighborhood would run them out of town with torches.

We're very protective of our neighbors here as well, that's not something that's just exclusive to small towns.

15. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I always thought people in NYC were just pissed off cause the light at the end of the tunnel is New Jersey:D:D

16. cederholm

cederholm

HA! We wouldn't be very good New Yorkers if we got offended that easily!:D

Who's not being nice to you? Point them out - we've got a river for that! :eek:

Regarding the old guy in the front seat, I just find it funny. I can picture the whole scene in a nice peaceful NE town.

17. cederholm

cederholm

HA! I think I found my new sig quote! :D:D:D

18. This shit amazes me. Although I have seen many a mis-mannered child, for which I blame the useless parents, I have luckily not been witness to any adults displaying this type of behavior. Honestly I'm not sure how I would handle it if someone were to open my door or hood - pretty sure it would get a bit ugly, but not worth getting in a fight and going to jail over. If they caused damage I can guaranty you that they would either cough up some payment or they would be talking to the cops.
    But I'll also be damned if I am going to turn my car into a beater or not have nice rides just because there are some fucked up people out there. If you do that you are giving in to that element of society and they win. I'm not knocking beaters, I've owned my share, but I'm not going to quit building nice cars due to fear of morons.
    I have taken my deuce coupe (which is a GNRS Winner) to all sorts of places - restaurants, shopping, the beach, whatever - I rarely lock it or even close the windows as there is nothing inside it to steal and if someone is going to try and take it, let's face it, these cars are fairly easy to get into and now they've just screwed up the paint or the door handles, or broken a window and if they really want it, they are going to get it. I don't sit near it at car shows (too busy looking at other cars) nor do I hang out with it when I take it somewhere. But I have many times been close enough to keep an eye on it and Never had a problem. Who knows, maybe a really well done car with killer paint and detail scares them a little more, or maybe I just frequent better areas. Either way, I am not going to let low life's dictate the way I enjoy my car.

19. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Lol, go for it dude

20. There are plenty of idoits out there, the guy "inspecting your chrome" (total BS by the way) is just one of many. If you leave your car unattended these things will happen (proof aplenty just by reading other replies).

It boils down to this (keep in mind this is my opinion) ... if you aren't prepared to accept what may happen when you leave your car unattended, then don't leave it unattended. Reality is that not everyone in this world has the same values that you and I may have (think muderers, rapists, fraudsters, child molesters, rap singers ... ooops, sure hope I didn't say that last one out loud:eek:).

I prefer the "don't have to worry about it car" myself, but that's just me.

'38 Olds coupe (with trailer hitch) daily driver (and that includes the occasional winter outing when the roads are dry). To me it's just a car ... yes, I like it, yes I put a lot of work into it, but at the end of the day, it's just a car ... life goes on.

21. nix

nix
    from Italy

All the world is the same, here in Italy... or in France & Switzerland where I have been for meetings....

Having hot exhaust is good for people's hands that touch more ...
    Good to see they get too close to my lakester......

22. chuckbob

chuckbob

"It's the self centered, self entitled, rude, small percentage of the general public that are the problem".
    Be glad you don't live near DC or Baltimore. We have WAY too many self centered ENTITLED people who live around here. Just driving my 57 Dodge is nerve racking at best. I always lock my car here, and park away from people. I hate the lot shows here because of the self important jerks that mill around.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 is nice and straight, no rust. (Finally!) It has a coat of Rustoleum satin black, as it sits outside until the shop is finished...
    One day I pull up in the bank parking lot, shut the engine off, get out, and lock the drivers door...
    Some Elmer is standing in front of the truck, says: "The locks still work on thet ol' truck?"
    I reply, "Sure do...so does everything else."
    He says, "Whatcha goin to the trouble to lock it up for?"
    I turn around, narrow my eyes and whisper, "That's to protect anybody that might want to get in it.....From Me."

24. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Easy does it, you can't find parking Thursday-Sunday in NYC. . . and there's nothing but cars with Jersey plates in all of the spots. :)

25. grabrr

grabrr

I still remember sitting at a cruise night years ago, watching some bonehead let his ice cream cone drip all down the fender of a friends car....when he was asked if he'd lick it off, he turned around quickly and ran away...
    I'm happiest in my garage, away from the rest of the world that doesn't seem to have a clue.

26. Some of these stories remind me of a story my grandmother told me before she passed. I am thirty now but have been around the hobby since I was very young travelling to a lot of shows in the west with my grandparents since I was around 4 years old. Well I can't remember what car of his it was but they were good friends of Joe and Phyllis Moreno and anybody who knows those folks knows that have had quite the collection. I was taught at a very young age that if I touched someone elses car I was probably going to get my fingers broke and whatever car he had at the time had a rumble seat in the back of it. My grandmother lost track of me for just a second and there I was in the rumble seat of Joes car. My grandmother about had a heart attack and started to lose her cool when luckily for me Joe calmed her down and informed her that I was set in there by him and was the first and probably the last person that was going to sit in that spot. I guess some people are still taught with that good old fashion train of thought, and my girls are also recieving that as we speak.

27. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

you should get some nra member stickers for the window.

28. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I leave my windows down and leave it at Wally World, Lowes, etc. The doors don't lock.....the driver's door never had one.....and it attracts enough attention that it usually has a group around it. No one bothers it, and I usually have to answer some questions when I get back to it. I have met some nice people that way. If I were to come back and find someone in it.....I don't think we would walk away as friends.

29. Busteddrum

Busteddrum

Two stories 180* apart:

Dee Dee a bartender at the local dive bar I used to hang at built her own rat shovelhead that she would park out front. I was soaking up some beer one Saturday when another regular came in and said, "Hey there is some guy sittin' on your bike". 6' of redhead goes storming out and said "That is a nice bike you have there". The guy said "It's not my bike" to which she said "Then get your ass off of it!". He did. He follows her into the bar and starts giving her a ration which really ticks her off. She comes down to my end of the bar and said she didn't know what to do. I jokingly shoot off my mouth and said; "Either 86 him or knock the sh!t outta him. She went down to 86 him and he made a rude comment so she knocked him off the barstool from across the bar.

I had tied my jet boat to a dock at the Parker Strip on the Colorado River to go into the store, and when I came out there were 3 young teenage girls sitting on the dock with their feet hanging over onto my boat. I walked up and politely asked what was up and their reply was "we were holding your boat off the dock until you came back 'cause the passing boats' wakes were banging your boat against the dock". Some kids are just raised right.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  30. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

The dude might have had a car just like yours stolen from him a long time ago and was checking to see if his GF's name was still scribed on the underside of the dash? Not trying to validate his actions, just offering a possible motive.