Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alcohol Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old Dixie, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Old Dixie

Old Dixie
    from Florida

I need a little help, I am building a Ford 351 Cleveland and want to put a Flying toilet on it, I have people telling me because of the Alcohol burning cold that I can fill the block and not run any water in the heads. I have seen front cover plates with a mechanical fuel pump mounted on it with the water pump inlets blocked.

Can anyone put some light on it for me..

Thanks

2. rallisracing

rallisracing

fill the block to about 1 inch below the deck, and leave the heads alone....you need some coolant or it will overheat, even on alky...

3. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

You will really have a tough time building heat with methanol, but once the engine is warm, it's nice to circulate water through the heads. Sure you can do without, but it's nice to drive the car off the track, pick up your timeslip and go back to the trailer without worrying about hot spots.

How about a cool stack injector instead of the toilet??

4. If you plan on towing it to the line and back to the pits.You'll do fine with out coolant.Some racers fill the head with coolant,and curculate it with an electric pump,some just leave the coolant in and drain after a cool down period.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Three replies and nobody has picked up that "alcohol gasser" is, strictly speaking, a contradiction in terms :D

6. Haha I was thinking the same thing.

7. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I burn methanol in my Chevy II F/X car. I don't use block filler. With a small radiator, I build heat. When racing in 85+ degree weather, I use my fan to cool down the radiator. If your injecter is tuned properly, the engine will heat up, just not as much as it would with gas.

8. on the fed I filled the block half way up the water pump holes run water and a pump but no rad just to recirculate the water drive to the staging lanes and back to the pits no heating problems.

9. brandon

brandon

No heat issues as long as you have it setup right.....I have a lot of customers that run a toilet...

As far as the alcohol gasser ...isn't that a oxymoron...?

10. Larry T

Larry T

It would have been for "class racing". Not so much for match racing and "outlaw" circuits.
    I don't know of any of the current gasser associations that require gas either.
    Larry T

11. Hahahahaha,,is that the same as a "pregnant virgin"???