Register now to get rid of these ads!

Type Of Grease To Use In Grease Gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Nov 21, 2011.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Does anyone know of a particular brand or type of grease that won't drip oil out of ball-joints, u-joints, tie-rod ends, grease fittings, etc?

I've noticed that my grease gun that hangs on the shop walll when not in use drips oil from the nozzle tip and pump plunger.

It appears that the base oil is separating from the thickener and running out, whether it's still in the tube or has been applied. I asked the guy at the parts store if I could get a thicker grease, but left him scratching his ass.

I'm presently using Valvoline multi-purpose grease (Chrysler, Ford, GM and Japanese). I've heard of using marine grease but want to double-check with the HAMB before doing anything.

Thanks guys.

2. ssimpala

ssimpala

Tractor Supply sells a cheap "Traveller" brand multi purpose lithium grease that seems some better than most. I use it on the farm and like it.

3. wrench9

wrench9
    from Canada

I use to use a multi task grease in my U joints and tie rod ends but was having a lot of failure like the grease was breaking down. I switched to a wheel bearing grease I use it for all tie rod and U joints the failure rate dropped to almost nil. I have been doing this for 10 plus years now no problems.

4. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I like 223 casings in my grease gun.
    Kidding aside, that is standard procedure for a grease gun, is that a little oil will seep out around the end cap, the handle side and sometimes out of the fitting, most all greases will fling out of u-joints and seep out of tie rod ends nothing you can do about that.

5. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

I have a large stash of Phil Wood grease that I am using up after selling my bike shop. The old lady likes the KY though!

6. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

Use better grease I use the Chevron Industrial red

7. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Disc brake grease can be used on drum brakes but drum brake grease not good enough for disc brakes, both greases good for chassis, etc. Do not use cheap grease as it will wash out and fails to provide adequate film strength.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just don't mix lithium based with hitemp grease that uses fire clay as a carrier I've be told it will cause a reaction and will set up like concrete.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I've been using Mobil One synthetic grease (some body gave me case for free), and I like it. Doesn't seem to weep out of the grease gun either.

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Really.........and what kind of grease gun? :eek:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  11. Al Von

Al Von

Well THAT explains a couple of things.....

The tie rods, ball joints and greaseable sway bar bushings on my DD are gummed up. The zerks actually broke on a few things because the grease hardened. GGRRRRR!