Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. How big are the intake valves? Look pretty big in the picture.

2. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nice job Don.

I'll be in fl. during the TRR week ...Ft. Laud., Tampa & Orlando - I see if I can skip by & say hello.

Paul

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They are 2.072's. Olds offered two sizes on the 442's, a 2 inch and a 2.072.

Paul!! How the heck have you been? I really hope you get to TR. If you are going, let me know and we'll arrange to meet you somewhere. How is the 46 coming?

Thanks Lucky Devil. I just found out Dan's computer crashed from some Windows update and he lost all his pictures and stuff, so as soon as he gets back up and running he will post on here, I'm sure.

Don

4. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Don ... I hope I'm there & yes we'll all get together.

As 4 the '46 ... sluggish. Funds are a bit tight & work has not slowed to work on it. I'll get there eventually.

Paul

5. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hello again, & thanks for the interest. Really no dramatic progress to report, but things are getting closer. Like dad said, we got lots of the reassembly done. This machine shop did REALLY nice work, I am glad my dad found them.

Had the rotating goodies balanced this time around too. And the C heads really came out beautiful. It really will be a much better runner this time around, I am excited to get it back together

Jason, thanks bud, I appreciate the nice words

Hello Bob, long time no see! We will definitely be @ the Turkey Run. My rpu will not make it though, not enough time left, or money to get it done in time:eek:

I would love to see your 65' for sure! Keep in touch as the show gets closer, would love to say hello there Bob

Thank you LD, I'm excited to get the thing on the road again

Paul, it would be great to get to see you when you are around!

6. Did you machine the guides to allow for the cam lift?

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

They did. That would be a unpleasant surprise if they didn't:eek:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Dan,

Performance Management 101 demands that every target have a timeline or it risks going unfinished.

What say we plan for a new video of the camshaft break-in for about October 25th and some new in-car footage by November 1st. Now let's get a move on! No further discussion needed. Put the wheels in motion, let's git 'er done! 'Atta Boy!

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It's good to see this moving forward!

OB

10. striper

striper

That chassis would look better with a coupe body on it Dan. I suggest you rethink this build while you have it apart :p

11. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

OK Dan . The big question is are you gonna make the TURKEY RUN? It's just about a month away.

12. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I agree with you there Scotty, it gets easy to leave a car in "permanent project mode".

I think my timeline may be a little longer though:eek:. Even though I have many of the needed parts to get it back together, I still have a ton of little things that add up money wise real quick. basically, I need to win the lottery haha.

It was actually nice to have a little time off from it. But now I am definitely ready to get it back together. It won't be long now. Thanks for the support Scotty, I appreciate

Thanks man, I agree! I'm anxious to drive again, it almost seems like I never drove the car, I swear

Dammit man, stop it!! I am NOT cutting this one up, I am NOT cutting this one up.....

I keep repeating this:D

Aw sh*t Gregg, not looking good bud..... I could make it time-wise, it's mainly a money thing.

But yes, I will make the Turkey Run as always. My rpu, um, maybe not so much:eek:
    Sometimes I think I am not ever meant to take a car to that show Gregg. I am going to get my "LOSER" tattoo on my forehead today

13. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Best waste of two and half hours at work of my life. Read the thread from start to finish. Good luck with the engine rebuild (I understand about money issues).

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Haha work is the best way to do it! Yeah, my money tree isn't producing enough, I might have to plant another......

Thanks man

15. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Aw sh*t Gregg, not looking good bud..... I could make it time-wise, it's mainly a money thing.

But yes, I will make the Turkey Run as always. My rpu, um, maybe not so much:eek:
    Sometimes I think I am not ever meant to take a car to that show Gregg. I am going to get my "LOSER" tattoo on my forehead today Dan I'll see you there with my new sedan . I started on it last april. I drove it for first time saturday and doing interior now . <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

16. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I'll join that "loser" club with you. I've either sold cars just prior to the TRR or I've run out of cash to finish a month or two before ...

Hopefully I'll see you & your Dad at the show.

Paul

17. speedy383

speedy383

nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Holy crap, that is GREAT that you have the sedan ready to go! I haven't seen it at all Gregg, post up a pic if you don't mind, I would love to see it!

Dammit Paul, I don't need any competition in the loser club:p
    That would be awesome to see you there. It looks like the weather will be really nice, I can't wait!

19. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

The family & I are in Ft. Lauderdale right now ... if everything works out I'll try & see you guys in Daytona.

Paul

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, I FINALLY have a little progress to post! Been working on getting the motor into paint, & decided a little change might be good.

Decided I wanted to paint the olds gold, I think it will look great with the black body & frame, & the white firewall. So just had to find a gold I like.

The later olds gold is more bronze looking, & even though it would be more correct for this motor I really prefer the earlier gold. The later is more bronze, & it almost looks poo brown.

So I found a gold that I hoped would work, & had it mixed up. I spent quite a bit of time prepping & cleaning the block & heads, making sure they were clean & ready. Then got everything masked & ready to spray.

I first epoxy primed everything, then sprayed the gold, & I used Imron again. This combo has always been tough as nails for me on engines.

I REALLY like how it came out! The gold doesn't photograph so well, but to me it really looks good in person. The oil pan pics show pretty close to the color.

Now I have everything painted to assemble the long block. The only things left to paint gold is the intake & tranny.

Here's a few pics to show you where I ended up. Thanks for looking, hope you like:)

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

That would be awesome, I'll PM you my phone Paul, we'd love to see you there bud

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

What the!!! How the heck you got it back off the frame now? What happened Dan? I must have missed it??

23. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Ah shit Chad, check out page 50:eek:

In the end, it's all good now. At least I keep telling myself that:p

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

What's up Dave! It was honestly easier to pull the body that try to bang everything up pulling the motor. I made the wiring harness unplug from the body, so we had the complete body off in about 2 hours, pretty painless really.

Well, if you gotta be sick, that sounds like a great way to do it! Wow, that will look killer in the car man, be sure to post pics!

25. I like!

26. striper

striper

I really shouldn't poke fun Dan. Here is a pic of my car as it sits today. Summer officially starts in about a week.

[​IMG]

Pete

Good move on the gold motor. That's a great look.

27. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, I appreciate

Holy crappers, I thought I did lots of dis-assembly! What do you have going on Pete??

28. striper

striper

It started with this:

[​IMG]

And you know how these things go. Much like yourself, it was easier to take the body off to get to it. Two years on the road and I had written a reasonable list of things I'd like to change or needed fixing. So I'm doing it all in one go. Biggest change is the Winters rear. Hoping to be back on the road by Christmas.

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Ouch!

There is a lot to be said about making a car easy to pull apart/work on!

OB

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it! Looks GREAT!!