Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use a Jimenez Bros 2 link kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CBennett1, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CBennett1

CBennett1
    from Sek

I've got a 54 chevy that i'm gonna start gathering air ride parts for. Anyone used a Jimenez Bros two link kit? They look like they are well made and everything but just wanted some personal experiences.

Thanks fellas

Attached Files:

2. CBennett1

CBennett1
    from Sek

Anyone? Or anyone have any opinions on the design, etc. ? Thanks

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

The design doesn't look horrible, but I would like a better look before I said it looks good.

What issue of R&C are those pictures from?

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

PS, maybe I'm just being pickey, but I would prefer a watts link for that setup.

5. CBennett1

CBennett1
    from Sek

6. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Two links like this one are the cheaper route to do a air ride, they locate the axle , that's the only thing they do that's good. That panhard bar looks silly in that pic. Good luck

7. Larry T

Larry T

Sure looks like it's patterned after an old Chevy pickup or NASCAR rear set up.
    They both use Panhard bars too.
    Larry T

Nitroholic, X-cpe and Hnstray like this.
  8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I believe if all you want to do is cruise it with a little up and down action from time to time it'll be fine for your needs. I remember reading the article and I was pretty impressed with the simplicity of it all. The 2 links allow it to travel up and down the panhard prevents side to side shifting. You can ask them all the questions you like. They are HAMB memebrs as well.

9. bump... anyone else?

10. ryno

ryno

Every link system has there own advantages and disadvantages.
    I have a 2 link custom built in my f100 that handles awesome,I'd run it against anyone in autocross corse that wants too.

How many of you actully have built something with a proper set up link system? Or are ya all just repeating what you've heard? I'm sure you all know more then NASCAR and gm designers.

Back to the og question,no I've never used one of there link kits,but it looks like a good start,but I think if your capable of installing it you could probaly fab your own link bars too.

Nitroholic likes this.
  11. cain

cain
    from riverside

heres a couple more pics

Attached Files:

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like the simplicity of the 2 link but not used to seeing the 5"-6" lowering blocks and the pan hard bar does look awkward at best...... JMO

13. cain

cain
    from riverside

theres no lowering blocks

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Top right pic, first post.............................................

15. The problem I have with this is that they use square tubing. For a Truck Arm suspension to articulate properly, the arms need to have the ability to twist axially and square tubing cannot do this. It is the reason that NASCAR Truck Arms are required to be I Beam design. Over time I think this will be a problem not to mention it has to bind when the axle articulates even on something as simple as entering a driveway at an angle. JMHO

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

it seems to be the blocks are only there
    to hold the bracket for the shocks??? A bracket could be welded on the housing and eliminate the block i guess?? Right??

I like the simplicity too!!! It's great!!:)

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's a cheap way to kill 2 birds, lower car and a place to attach the shocks.
    Take the block out and the car rises an equal amount.
    Yes, shocks could be mounted to a bracket off the rear end tube................

18. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Theres a clip on Youtube of them installing a kit on a 50 something chevy pickup. Kit in the clips looks different(better) than the one shown here, in my opinion

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo! You don't need to have an engineering degree to understand this (even though I do). NASCAR arms are I-beam, and Chevy truck arms are two pieces of C-channel back-to-back, which allows for twist. Without this flexibility, something else will give, over time. Cross your fingers that it is just a bushing.

ebfabman likes this.
  20. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

you may have an engineering degree but have you actually built or used a two link suspension that's made out of rectangular tubing?

well i have and it's fine. i mounted the front of my links about 6 inches apart and right where the front u-joint is. the links are 1.5"x2.5" rectangular tubing and i used 1" uniballs instead of a bushing. i have enough articulation in my setup to go rock crawling if i wanted to with zero bind. with a whole 3" or so of normal suspension travel you really don't run into any kind of twisting issues when using rectangular tubing.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I have. I design and build automotive suspension systems for a living. That's my job. I have built several square (or heavy round) tube 2-link systems, all but one for off-road only use, each using a large rubber bushing to take care of the flex. The one that does see road use goes through rubber bushings every 2000, or so miles.

What wall thickness of tubing did you use?

22. cain

cain
    from riverside

The 2 link kits have 2 inch square tubing with 1/4 wall.

23. anyone have a pic of this setup in a 55-59 chevy truck?

24. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

I am interested in this setup also and am BTT for more input.

I am thinking of a 2 link setup for my 36.

25. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Has anyone installed this kit in a 49-54 chevy. I would like to see the car in the down position (aired out). I have not been able to find a side view of a car with this kit installed.

27. LeftCoastCruiser

LeftCoastCruiser
    from So Cal

Me neither Boones! Been looking everywhere. All I can find is the JBC 54, but that's all accuair driven. I'm looking for a shot of a 53-54 using nothing but JBC's 2 link. -BUMP-

28. LeftCoastCruiser

LeftCoastCruiser
    from So Cal

This is the closest I've found. This car runs a JBC 2 link, but has had extensive fab work to the floors, trunk, etc. If the 2 link alone got me this low, I'd be sold.
    jb 2 link.JPG

Tricky53 likes this.
  29. Andy

Andy

I think it will need a double U joint at the driveshaft end near the pivots. The rear end does not chamge joint angle but the front sure does. I would run a low panhard bar from a 59-64 chevy. It also needs front bushings that are soft in torsion.

30. ed53

ed53
    from Tucson

This 49 is running JBC 2 link

Attached Files:

Tricky53 likes this.