Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else building old dodge/plymouth other mopars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Nov 6, 2003.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer

The wayfarer's got a built 440 in it. Is that fast enough for you? Not that I have anything against chevies. I have two of them.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yeah, mines got a Chevy [​IMG]

but it it's not small! [​IMG]

3. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Only the LAME ones...

56 Desoto
    [​IMG]

4. I'm in the process of building one of these, 1962 aussie crysler Royal for the wife. 313 poly and a 727. Will be all black with some mild custom stuff done. [image]http://[/image]

Attached Files:

5. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

My 58 Plymouth runs a '74 318 with a nice cam backed by a 727 trans.

Moriarity likes this.
  6. [ QUOTE ]
    The wayfarer's got a built 440 in it. Is that fast enough for you? Not that I have anything against chevies. I have two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So how about you take me for a ride, soon as the snow melts!

7. wayfarer

wayfarer

I could do that. Have you seen the car? It's only been finished since the end of July, so it's only been to vintiques in yakima, sandblast in coos bay and goodguys at the fairgrounds. Actually, it's not totally finished. I need to take it to the upholstery shop to get an estimate for a headliner. Tinbender, do you have any rods I might know?

8. I haven't seen your car. That surprized me, Spokane aint that big! You may have seen my heap. I've been driving it for 3 summers now. Do you know any of the guys in the Dukes? I did most of the work on Ray Lindquist's prostreet A. (red , blown, sbc). My stuff is all low buck, the nice stuff I do is all owned by other people [​IMG] Here's my Stude

Attached Files:

9. plmczy

plmczy

Here's my project. it's a 31 Dodge 4 door. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with a flat 6 w/T-5 or a Hemi with a 4 speed. later plmczy
    [​IMG]
    [image]http://photo.starblvd.net/shawn636/3-1-2.jpg{/image]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

tinbender,
    I used to see your stude all the time. I coach football at west valley and drove home on Mission every night around 5:30. I used to see you pulling into SCC. I think I know anyone in the Dukes. Is Jerry Senn still in the club? He sold his '34 so I don't know if he's still in. The guys I know are in Street Tin, but mostly they just go to stuff with us. I know the guy who's the longest active member of Street Tin, in fact he painted the dodge. Have you taught at SCC for a long time? The guy who did the bodywork on the fenders and hood of the wayfarer was a student there a long time ago. His name is Leigh Hopkins.

11. This is my 3rd year at SCC. I can't put a face to Leigh, but I'm sure I've met him. Same with Jerry. The night classes start at 6:00 so thats where I was headed. We'll have to get together one day. We could race,but I'd need a BIG head start! [​IMG] Feel free to stop in at school if you get a chance, I'm in the southeast corner of the automotive building.

12. wayfarer

wayfarer

Do you guys ever take on cars as class projects in the body shop?

13. We do take on "live" late model projects, but you have to be a student or staff.

14. gonowhere

gonowhere

Got my girlfriend a 55 dodge royal lancer a few years back for christmas. Pink, black and white, perfect chick car. It's got a 270 hemi super red ram w/three holley 94's. Pretty much stock right now, but I think we are gonna do a bunch of shaving in the sprign, and probably lower it about 3-4 inches. If I can get my garage built, then we will probably repaint it(same colors, but either flake or candy...she wants flake, but I don't think it will look right.) The one thing I can't seem to find are brake shoes. Anybody know where I can get 2 sets of mopar #44 brake shoes?

15. randy

randy

Have you tried Kanter Auto Products? I had a '59 Chrysler a few years ago & I'm pretty sure I got one of their rebuild "kits" for the brakes. They sell individual components too.

-R

16. No way to post a pic, but there's 2 shots if it in the latest GG Gazette in Peeeaaallluuupp. 28 Plym 2 door sedan, olds / hydro / 9inch. Heavy chop & chan. Built for under 5k. Running two centers on a 6x2 homebuilt JC Whit log manifold era 50/60s. Blast to build and drive. Took Sawzall for a putt. It's the one with the dutch eyeball on the rad and all the people hangin out the top. Who says old mopars ain't the shit. later

17. tragic59

tragic59

Plmcrzy, What's the story to putting a T-5 behind the flat six? Is there an adapter available somewhere, or are you gonna make your own? If you're making your own, how are you doing it?

18. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

gonowhere, Get yours relined.

19. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Here's mine, a '50 Plymouth more door. 230 flat six, Edgy head, Edmunds dual intake, pair of Holley 5200 carbs, Landon's HEI and tube headers, 3/4 cam, bored .030" over, '55 Dodge R10 overdrive, stock rear end.

KEEP THE SIX!

Pete

Before:
    [​IMG]

Apart for paint:
    [​IMG]

home from the paint shop:
    [​IMG]

edgy head and ARP studs:
    [​IMG]

back in the car:
    [​IMG]

HEI and cool wires:
    [​IMG]

Langdon's headers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    52RAM108 likes this.
  20. Iceberg

Iceberg

My buddy's '40 Dodge. The flathead six and fluid drive are out now and it now has a hot 360 w/ a four speed. If anyone needs the running original motor and trans let me know & I'll hook you up with him.

Attached Files:

21. Iceberg

Iceberg

Attached Files:

22. plmczy

plmczy

Tragic59, there's a fellow by the name of Don Coatney on the P51-D24 message board that made his own adapter. I'm going to follow how he did it.

Blueskies, is that edgy head expensive? Where did you find the headers? Nice lookin car. later plmczy

23. wayfarer

wayfarer

Blueskies, I've seen your website before, I found it on oldplymouths.com. Excellent job on the plymouth.

24. tragic59

tragic59

Plmcrzy, do you have a link to the message board? I did a search and didn't find much...

Thanks

25. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

[ QUOTE ]
    Blueskies, is that edgy head expensive? Where did you find the headers? Nice lookin car. later plmczy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the head is expensive. I bought mine a couple of years ago, for $600. Edgerton is making them in his spare time I hear, so production is limited. I think the last run was $650. I've also heard that Edgerton has put them on the back burner till spring, and if you want one, you need to send a deposit and get on the list.

The headers are also a make when have time type deal, from Langdon's Stovebolt Six. They are around $300. a set.

Another outfit is making a killer set of tube headers, Phillips Welding and Exhaust , but they are $750 a set. I Don't have a photo of them, but they look really good. Have a look at their website to get a feel for the kind of work they do. Drop by the P15-D24 forum and ask Hugh Forest to post a shot of his set.

Pete

26. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

[ QUOTE ]
    Plmcrzy, do you have a link to the message board? I did a search and didn't find much...

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the P15-D24 forum:

http://merc583.addr.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl

Don Coatney is my ARCH RACE RIVAL, great guy. He has lots of photos of his T5 swap, and I'm sure he will share.

Pete

27. av8

av8

Haven't owned a ChryCo car since high school. This is what $150 bought in 1952 -- one owner top-of-the-line 1941 Plymouth four-door, radio and heater, 30K miles, no rust, no dents, perfect interior, and new tires. It was a sweetheart.

28. Don Coatney

Don Coatney

Pete;
    You cannot be hiding out on this forum. My old flatty can wup yours here too!
    Your Arch Race Rival Don Coatney

29. Machinos

Machinos

[ QUOTE ]
    My buddy's '40 Dodge. The flathead six and fluid drive are out now and it now has a hot 360 w/ a four speed. If anyone needs the running original motor and trans let me know & I'll hook you up with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it actually the original motor/trans or from a later model? I didn't think they had fluid drive til '41

30. wayfarer

wayfarer

Blueskies, are you doing anything with the suspension/brakes or are you leaving it stock? Good thing you put the head and overdrive on that thing, I saw a stock plymouth on I-5 near Seattle about a month ago that was holding up traffic like you wouldn't believe.