Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

finding 4 more pages from the last time i logged in is like christmas--------love the details

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Brian.

3. Steve,
    We sometimes have that same problem with getting the wheel off on supermodifieds. Just FYI, one solution is to tap threads directly into the caliper holes and bolt the caliper bracket on the outside. That way it's possible to pull the caliper bolts out and remove the hub nut and everything comes off the spindle together. Gives you a little more room to work if needed.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yep thats very useful info, cheers

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not much happening as winter is now upon us but i did have to put in a firewall behind the seats, was going to use aluminium sheet but decided using 3mm ply was easier and once it had some glass & resin on it it would stiffen up.
    Did it in 2 pieces for speed and ease.

Heres the opening to block off

[​IMG]

First a template was cut and tried for fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next a layer of glass mat was applied to each side.

[​IMG]

All glassed in place, like a steel panel now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got my battery box made up & fitted.

[​IMG]

Also when i went to the chrome shop this week some of my cage/seat mounts had been done, He is doing it in between jobs so hopefully the rest will be done next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Car

Car
    from the desert

awesome looking work, loving this build. great fabrication too btw.

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

very nice,bling,bling!

8. speed v8

speed v8

cool car, great fab work here.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, glad your enjoying it.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate.

11. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

I've ignored my family for the better part of the afternoon reading these posts. Fantastic!! Your craftsmanship is without peer, my good man. I can't wait to see what's up your sleeve next!! Subscribed!

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the kind comments, hopefully I will have something to post shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You are my hero. Everything you touch turns to gold Mr. Midas.

14. n847

n847

You are a machine...Its interesting to see the challenges that go along with a glass build! As usual you make it look way to easy!

15. bentwings

bentwings

Langy, I've been just lurking here for quite a while. I truely enjoy watching a craftsman build his car. I also have a "plastic" car that I built myself much as you are doing.

About the stage you are at I began thinking of the interior. I'm pro Street rather than "gasser" and my car was created with the idea that it would be driven as close to daily as possible. To date a little over 2 seasons I'm at 17k miles. I'm not sure whether you are going with the gqsser spartan interior or a more conventional upholstered style. I'm split. Upholstered headliner and seats but aluminum sheet inside door skins. So far.

Here are a couple of shots of the roof bows that I made. They are cut from premium oak and glued where necessary. I made the mistake of glassing 3 of them to the roof. Don't do this!! My body is thouroughly oven cured and I thought the new resin would not affect it. Not so. the outer skin or gel coat shrank enough that it caused ripples in my fresh paint job. I was able to cut them out and over the last summer the heat relaxed the mess and it is hardly visible now. The new roof bows are installed with silicone sealer which allows a micro amount of movement as the body expands and contracts. Just something for you to consider.

I also bought an industrial sewing machine and spent a couple months learning to use it. I then created the head liner and carpeting along with a number of other car projects.

Your build thread is great so I won't hyjack further unless you would like some of my thoughts.

Attached Files:

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, I wish dude i wish.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, I guess having a few builds under my belt over the years makes it easier, but as you get older a different problem arises :(
    All the damage you do to your body when your younger comes back to haunt ya, I raced cars in my younger days and crashes were part of it all, these days i find the various breakages come back as stiffness in the joints, but you just have to ignore it and keep battling on i guess.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I gave my Mags to a machinist as the plan has changed slightly and i needed more accuracy than the old bridgeport i use has, I needed to come up with a pair of grease retaining caps for the outside of the hub so i spun a pair up in the lathe from 2.5" aluminium bar.
    Firstly i bored out the shape and then turned the outside shape into the bar, then the outside was sanded to a nice radius.

The first one came out perfect :D

[​IMG]

But i screwed up on the second one by taking off to much material, these are only 1/16" thick so it was easily done :eek:
    I always say everybody screws up occassionaly but the important thing is how you rescue the situation and save the day by not having to remake another !!!
    Welding was my first thought, Now i don't do much aluminium welding and certainly not on something this thin !!! Anyway popped over to see my mate Gary and we decided to have a go at it, as soon as the TIG sparked up it blew a hole so it was decided to run 2 beads 1/4" apart with 1.6mm rod and then fill in the gap between with 3mm rod, It worked a treat although doesn't look pretty !!!

[​IMG]

Back at the workshop it went back in the lathe and the inside was rebored and cleaned out, then the outside was recontoured and sanded. A liner was made to be a slide fit inside so it could be gripped securley in the chuck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick wipe up on the polisher and the job was done, 3 equidistant holes were drilled for machne screws that secure it to the wheel hub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. PDQ36

PDQ36

For an old bloke - not bad, not bad at all! Shame your putting it aside for a while but then - I want to see your Coupe project as well.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Andy, less of the old please, you ain't that far behind me !!!

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I just found and read the entire build, I must say i am very impressed, especially since i am building a race car with a nearly identical looking pickup glass body and know some of the pitfalls you have encountered with the build. cant wait to read more and get more ideas from your build thanks from another old guy ...sam

Attached Files:

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Sam, whoose body is that pickup cab, looks pretty good.

23. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i dont know the name but it came out of knoxville tennesse i think .. it looks identical to yours from the pics only iof course a pickup...:cool:

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Had to paint some kitchen cabinet doors today :( so thought while i had the gun out i would do a test piece to see what my Blue flake was going to look like.
    I chose the master cylinder as I had already smoothed it out a bit.

First up i gave it a couple of coats of Epoxy primer

[​IMG]

After it had dried it got a quick key up with 600 wet and a coat of Black epoxy on it, I've decided to use a Black basecoat this time as it will save me a lot of work when i paint the body, I can primer it in Black and then go straight on with the blue flake therefore saving money on bascoat and time.

[​IMG]

25. jick

jick
    from london

hey Steve....looks great! as usual....
    i've been down at my workshop this weekend starting to paint my 331 Cadillac engine that you got me the blue epoxy for....its very similar to what you've just done!
    hope all's well, and i expect i'll be down again soon with some more parts for chroming.
    cheers mate....James in Dalston.

26. What size flake is that?

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi James, thanks for the comments, hope to see you again soon.

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its a mini flake, not sure of size.

29. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

Very impressive work, langy. Damn, if this is a low budget build, what would a "customer-writes-the-big-check" build look like?

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Appreciate the comments, The higher buck builds i don't post pics of i'm afraid, the customers don't like it for some reason.