Register now to get rid of these ads!

Webber carbs on a SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weber. I'm kind of anal about the spelling, because my name is Bob Weber.

A lot of times when I am at an event or ordering something, They ask for my name, to which I respond "Bob Weber". Often I will get a question in return: "Is that one 'b' or two?" When I say "three" it really screws up their day.

2. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Here a 8 IDA set up the my younger brother put together. the other is a 4 IDA on a tunnel ran intake.He works for pierce manifolds in Gilroy Ca.

Attached Files:

3. You did make (cast?) those adapters eh metalshapes? Nice way to go after that, smart thinking. How does it run, flow? Not too many SM's around anymore to pick over.

4. When is to much too much....?:eek: I don't think I could see that many cfm going through that 409??? LOL it is different... kind of like running a pipe organ for an engine.

How many of those carbs are actually functioning? How many vacuum leaks did you have to chase before you could get it to idle?

At least there is a common plenum for each set of 4 carbs

About the time I would have to tune those carbs... I would've pealed them off and got the Hilbourn to run on the street... I think it would've been much easier and just as impressive!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. metalshapes

metalshapes

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have a set of three on a side draft Chevy 292 used as a daily driver and another on a similar engine for racing. Both are trouble free dependable and as pointed out; yes, expensive. BUT... you get what you pay for. How many Chevy inline 292's are out there dusting many varieties of small block V-8's? The Weber setup is easy to mount and to work with.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

7. feeeser32500

feeeser32500
    from PA

i run 4 48 idfs on a 500 caddy. the intake i made with individual runners 1 carb per cylinder its alot easieser to set up than what everyone says the car runs perfect put about 1500 miles onit since i finished it in june. ther is no problem running them on a sbc. i got mine from inglese they were $400 a piece

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A guy I know did that to a street/strip car. When it was tuned for the street, it fell on its face at the track. When it was tuned for the strip, it would load up on the street. He ended up going back to a single 4 barrel.

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I love WEBERS. Easy to play with and change jetting. IDAs are the ultimate. Dont worry about having too much carb, I have two 40mm IDFs on a 108ci 4 banger and they work fine (like having a 650-750 cfm holley). Alot of manifold/carburetor theory and math doesnt work the same for IR (isolated runner) systems like they do with a regular "plenum" style system. Oh, and Weber only has 1 "b".

10. Dellorto quit manufacturing carbs a few years back, and production is now solely Fuel Injection.
    I was in the high-po VW field for many years, and found that the Dellorto was a lot more tunable than the Weber, as a general rule. Theres a lot that can be done to the worn-out Italian ones now, re-bush the throttle shafts, re-configure the ramp underneath for the accelerator pump ( a very common wear area), but it isn't cheap, it's somewhat labor intensive (spelled $$$) to farm out the repairs.
    That being said, I have a set of 48 IDA's on my 2 liter VW engine, Italian ones, and a guy in Salt Lake City drilled the 3rd progression hole in for me... I can go from 19 to 90 in 3rd gear, with no pops, farts, hiccups, or anything... it just pulls like a freight train (but a little one...)

CB still has jets and rebuild kits for the Dellorto's, but last time I talked to Rick, the owner, he didn't have any more "Dells" for sale, they were all gone...

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Here's my contribution to the Weber® collection.

Attached Files:

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

simply beautiful!!!!!! dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here is my set of IDF's. Building a IDA setup too...

Attached Files:

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

15. mike c

mike c

I have a book how to build & power tune weber & dellorto by Des Hammil. It has been the best book for understanding weber's tuning. It is mostly tuning of 4 cylinders. Hope it will help someone. Mike

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. racemad55

racemad55

Do a search on the H.A.M.B. classifieds for "weber look a likes"

17. swimeasy

swimeasy

Wow! I have ordered a book and have now learned to spell "Weber". I want a setup like this!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. One thing I found when tinkering with these carbs was that I got better all around performance on the street with the smallest 37mm chokes in the IDF's and IDA's took less tinkering for street use mainly because their choke sizes can run smaller. Larger chokes are fine if for high rpm engines but I don't see many of those running the streets reliably... or for very long!

The most important piece of information I can give anyone running Webers is to run large fuel lines and "never" exceed 3 1/4 lbs of fuel pressure... in fact if you can run 3 lbs and not starve the carbs on long full throttle blasts that would be perfect! You're looking for high Volume to the bowls not high Pressure!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Go on ebay and type in "Weber side draft intakes" Let us know what you find!!

20. powers524

powers524
    from mesa

jiminglese.com has them

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks. :)

22. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

The nicest thing about Weber carbs is the fact that you can change the venturi size in the carb to match your airflow requirements.

They offer more tuneability than any other carb I've dealt with.

Shawn

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

I have 4-bbl carb that has interchangable venturies also... It's called a "Gold Claw"...

24. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Never heard of a "gold claw" until now.

Googled it, looks pretty cool.

I wonder if there will be any support for them in the near future.

Shawn

25. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

:O
    Thats actually a 4 DCOE+4IDF, but it is still crazy.
    I'd really like to hear it, but mostly does it really need 8 of those?
    The roadster i know, i got a few pictures, that manfold w/ the 4 DCOEs is awesome.

26. If you run a Inglese set up with 4 48 idf's on a sbc. What distributer would you recomend... What did you guys use, Its a tight fit...

27. Louvers is correct. Webers whether IDA or IDF are great. I run both and prefer the race proven IDAs.

Run 4 48s on a lil 327. Most critical issue is have a cam ground specifically for Webers. (Very little valve overlap) 3.5# fuel pressure. I run 100 LL Av Gas in mine and the perform flawlessly. Initial tuning is required , but pretty straight forward.

28. I use a Unilite on one motor and a Joe hunt magneto on the other.

29. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

I have run 48's on my 327 for a few years now, I love them. The whole setup came from Inglese. The jets have the numbers ground off of them, I guess that was common in their old days, the guy didn't want you to have all the info on it. That is what I was told on the phone when I called them. I love it and would definitely run them on other projects.

Attached Files:

• car2.jpg
      car2.jpg
      File size:
      81.5 KB
      Views: