Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turkey Run who going ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bummer! :(

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They have it pretty well organized. There are signs on International Speedway Drive directing both spectator parking and show cars. If you are going inside you go to the show car entrance (there are usually two, one on each end of the track) and through registration. Then you simply follow the car in front of you into the inside of the track. There will be staff directing you where to park. If you are not part of a prearranged group, like a car club that is going to park in a designated area all together, they will put you in sequence in the general parking area on a first come, first park basis.

Allow lots of time in the morning, especially on the first day, to get situated inside. Last year on Friday it took two hours for my Sons to get from outside to the inside and parked. It usually doesn't take that long, but snags do happen sometimes.

Don

3. There is a group of about 15 of us coming down from South Carolina bringing 8 cars or so. We are leaving Wednesday morning from Lexington about 7:00am if anybody wants to caravan down with us. Im pretty sure we will all be trailering this year, as most of the cars are just getting finished up. And will be headed back north Sunday morning. We will all be parked with the "Southeastern Rodders". I also have swapmeet spot in the Yellow field but I can never remember my spot #. I'll post it later when I get home. I think we're gonna try to go to the "Church of Chop" show for a while on Saturday as well.

4. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

You can park in the HAMB parking . It's 10$ for a sticker. Just find me when you get there most people parking there know who I am . I work the parking crew for the show so just ask for me. I will have the stickers with me. Gregg

5. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

For you out-of-towners looking for Thanksgiving dinner, there is a Cracker Barrel out in front of the Speedway...plus a zillion other restaurants around Daytona.

Lee

6. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Denise, Keep us posted on your January plans so Bruce will have time to pick up another tiara for you.

Lee

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My thanksgiving meal is a chicken sandwich at Hooters accross from the track with a beer sitting outside.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That was over a month ago so whats taking so long to get it fixed.

9. Buckeyeman

Buckeyeman

My buddy(wheelman) and I go every year. We stay with a buddy two houses north of New Smyrna Speedway. I hope to be driving my Grumman next year. Do you go to BelAir Plaza? We hang out there every night. If you get the H.A.M.B. parking, I'm in.

10. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

We ate at the Cracker Barrel on Thanksgiving last year in Daytona. There was, naturally, quite a wait but the turkey dinner was excellent.
    Bruce

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will be at the Belaire plaza every night.

12. Movinman

Movinman

I will be there this year, along with my brother. Missed it the last two years due to my business, so I am really looking forward to this!

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Try the Hog Heaven on A1A one night too. Not fancy but the food (BBQ) is pretty good and reasonable. It is a ritual that we eat there one night and have been doing that for years and years.:D

Don

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just got the Sirius mounted and the car kit will be permanently mounted when we get back,lost the last car kit somewhere in the house after last years trip and commercial free music is a must on a long trip.

15. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

What's the secret to finding a spot to park at the plaza?? Get there before breakfast?

16. Jeff J

Jeff J

I guess Bob k. is coming down to my place on Tuesday (unless he gets snowed in!)and then we are leaving on Weds. Glad to do something rather than sitting and laying and sleeping in the recliner for the last week and a half from sinus surgery ! But does feel good to breath !!! !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes its hard to find a parking spot,put a for sale sign on it a very high price and let it sit there all weekend like most do.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Can't make it this year,see ya next one

19. dixiedog

dixiedog

Belaire plaza is friday night & saturday night? I don't want to miss out on this one.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They start showing up on wendsday night but its packed friday and saturday nights,the cars in the front 3 rows dont usually move and sit all weekend.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:D I'm just gong to sneak into the state this time....no tiara or sash wanted or needed:p

The exact steering column I want was just released last week. At this point I'm not in any hurry as there was no way I would have been able to get it installed and be ready to head south by tomorrow as was my plan. I still have all next week off work and will hopefully be able to do it while I'm off. Lots depends on Hot Rod Asshole's schedule too.

22. Time to travel ! Leaving Tuesday morning
    Is there any snow in the mountains, on I 75 or I 77 here on the east coast.?

Flying back to Michigan, on Monday.and start the long drive home, to New Smyrna Beach. I hope to be back in time for show, Thursday morning. Looking forward the trip in the Divco.

23. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Anyone looking for hamb parking PM me

24. Awesome! My in-laws live in the retirement community right behind the Iron Horse!!! "Bear..." something or other. It's been a few years since we've been down there for Thanksgiving dinner, and we REALLY miss... ...going to the Turkey Run show!!! :D

So, now my wife and I will have ANOTHER excuse to not hang out with her family more than we have to!!! Thanks! (I let her play "good cop bad cop" with me and she "blames" me for dragging her to all of this "car stuff", but she secretly loves getting out of there as much as we can! Her parents and family DO NOT understand the whole "old car" thing AT ALL.)

I wish that I'd be able to drive something cool down there and back, but it's a 15 hour drive on I-95 from Newport News, VA and I HATE that drive with all of the rubberneckers, construction, texting-in-the-left-lane-going-below-the-speed-limit... Give me 2 lane back roads or old 4 lane state highways any day. But if I did that, our travel time would just get ridiculous. So... I'm going to let Southwest drive us down there and back in one of their 737's!

25. bobfrev

bobfrev

first time was over 20 years ago when it use to be held in the high school parking lot, last time was 1998, way over due, flying down wednesday to spend turkey day with friends and then the show friday and saturday, looking forward to some warm weather too, getting cold already in NY

26. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

We'll be there. Flyin out tomorrow. Visit with the In-laws for a minute, then headin to the La Playa.

27. erlomd

erlomd

went today and apart from the God awe full parking, it was a nice show...I took pics but I have no way of getting them out of my SD card....
    if anyone has pics post them up...

28. Skirv

Skirv

How did you go to the Turkey Run today? It's not till next week.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We thought we would be cool one year and stayed at the LaPlaya, as it is right across the street from where we like to go at night, Bel Aire Plaza. It turned out to not be so hot because if you left to go cruising you had no parking spot when you got back, even if you were a registered guest.:mad: The parking lot gets so jammed that as one car leaves they will let another one in, and you might come back for the night and have to park in their overflow lot which is a ways away from the La Playa.

What pissed us off was that one local car dealer had 25 cars taking up parking spots inside that never left and all had for sale signs on them. We complained to the manager and he told us as long as the guy had enough rooms rented he could park as many cars there as he wanted. That was BS and we heard later the manager was friends with the car dealer since both were locals. So we will never stay there again.

Don