Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 Plymouth independent front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglyoldcrow, Nov 18, 2011.

1. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

My new to me 1934 Plymouth PF came stock with independent front suspension. I'm keeping the original paint but thinking of repowering it with a small 241 Red Ram motor. My question is this. Is that stock suspension any good. What would do? Thanks, Jim

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The suspension is OK but parts availability wasn't good 30 years when everybody and their brother were building those cars, so today??

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If its like the later Plymouths and dodges parts are available from several sources. Kanter is one. Where are the shocke mounted? The newer ones mounted between teh upper and lower A arms, I believe the older one to brackets on the frame.

Its independent unequal A arm, probably with an anti sway bar, whats not to like?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I believe that plymouth went back to straight axle in 35, if that is the case, i'd consider changing to that because it's a nice tube axle and parts are more avalible, As brakes go they had a decent set of hydralics already.

If ya keep it all mopar parts avalibility isnt gunna be too easy, it isnt gunna be pep boys parts after all, but then again it's not like ya need to change them weekly, just get a spare wheel cylinder and a set of shoes and you are good practically forever

5. AGY mechanic

AGY mechanic

I've seen them with 392s in them, but if you plan on driving over 45mph, i would definately upgrade. If you keep what you got, i'll sell you a complete front suspension for a reasonable price for spare parts. Jim.

6. 117harv

117harv

I agree with Shaggy, the factory wavy tube axle is the way to go.

7. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

Tell me what's a factory Wavy tube axle? What should I be looking for? Year model, What??? Thanks, Jim

8. 117harv

117harv

<TABLE id=post7027725 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7027725 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Ever have a car take your breath away?
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by RAT "T" [​IMG]
    WHAT A GREAT SHOT! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here is a wavy axle, and chromed. I think they came in two versions if i'm not mistaken...anyone know if that's true? They were parallel spring but the one shown has had a sleeve welded in to use Ford wishones.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the stock IFS in my 34 Plymouth, but I added a disc brake kit from MP brakes. I´d never change that front suspension, it really drives and handles great. These frames are really rigid, beefier than a ,let´s say a 50 chevy frame for example, plus it has the X-crossmember. The stock brakes worked ok for cruising up 70 miles. I had to brake hard a couople of times on the Autobahn, and the drums felt like they were fading.
    I´ll post some pics later.

classiccarjack likes this.
  10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, uploading was quite quick so here we go.
    I bought the car with a hacked up steering column and and a worn beyond repair steering box. It would lock up on turns. So I built my own column from a 2," steel tube and replaced the stock gearbox with VW one. They are cheap and very direct, it really handles like a go cart. All the tie rods and steering arms are stock, only upgrade I added was these telescopic shocks, to help the lever shock a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At one time I´ll blow the car apart again for a nice paintjob and while I´m at it , it´ll get the mc mounted under the floor. But the 34 is my favorite driver, it´ll be a while until that´s going to happen...
    Good luck with your 34!

chris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  11. 33mopower

33mopower

The stock spring rate is a little undesirable for the heavier hemi and I would put tube shocks on it.

12. MORodder

MORodder

I had a 34 Coupe with the OG IFS, worked and handled great but that had a small block chevy in it.

13. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

Did they use the independent front end in 33 or was that a 34 only design?

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

33 axle, 34 indy, 35 axle........

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used 56 Chevy springs and cut out 3 coils, if I remember correctly. They are stiff but not bumpy, just well handling. For a Hemi you might want to have something stiffer..... :)

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The stock 201 weighs over 600 lbs all by itself.......

17. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Great info guys.....

18. GaryN

GaryN

I have two friends using the stock '34 independent front suspension in their rods and both are very happy with it. Replacement parts were easy to get for rebuild. One used dropped spindle uprights and the other relocated the lower spring pockets to lower the front end. Both guys used Chrysler 360 engines.

19. 35'-38' were tube axle what is refered to as "rigid reverse elliot" 39' they went back to independent. one issue with the old stock setups is when you run a modern radial they track too well and the front end want's to come out of alignment. had a 36' that was fresh from spring hangers to the steering box rebuilt and was fine until i added radials,low speeds were fine but that ended freeway trips.

20. gary jenkins

gary jenkins
    from va

Looking for a front brake drum for 34 pf coupe thanks think 33 the same but the 34 pe drums are wider thanks gary

21. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I have a FATMAN front clip in mine.I havn't driven it yet but sure fits nice.Sits really low with 2 in dropped spindles.With a arms level bottom of grill shell will be about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches off the ground.

22. 35 yrs ago I replaced the stock steering box in a 1934 DR Dodge 7 passenger sedan with a steering box out of an Oz late 60's Holden....easy bolt in and the pitman arm spline fitted straight on......best thing done for this otherwise fully restored and stock car, the original independant front suspension had been rebuilt but steering box parts were unavailable............it drove & steered really well.........o/k so your in the USA and are LHD, I'd checkout a 60's or 70's Plymouth Valiant or Dodge Dart or other compact/mid size steering box.........andyd.

chryslerfan55 and classiccarjack like this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

1934 only... Then revised with more Camber in 1939 and up. Even the big Chryslers got the IFS..... I restored a 1935 Plymouth and found a 1934 for parts, after that I got a good learning curve that not much interchanged and realized that in 1934 they all were IFS.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks for Posting! Your car is in great condition!

Baumi likes this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

had a '34 PE with small block & disc conversion - very reliable at all speeds - roofline makes body look like it has a mild chop

Baumi likes this.
  26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you , Jack!
    This is an old post and brings back a lot of memories. I sold the Plymouth in 2012 and have not seen it ever since. It is one of those cars I regret selling.

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Awww... Don't we all do that at least once in our lifetime? Too bad it's gone. I understand completely.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app