Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Some Old Ford" is My old Ford

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by hvywrench, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Maybe this for the Exhaust!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I am probably the wrong guy to ask about that....I am not a "FE Guru". The best place to ask that is over on the FE forum.
    I do remember seeing some questions about that intake and how it performs. If I remember, the general thoughts were that it looks cool, but there are much better manifolds out there for performance and tuning.
    There is also a book recently published where the author, Jay Brown, did an in-depth comparison with his own dyno of just about every FE intake there is. Anyone building a FE should invest in the books by Jay Brown and Barry Robotnick, there is a ton of valuable knowledge and experience contained in them.
    Between Jay's Book, "The Great FE Intake Comparo" (I think I have that right) and Barry Robotnicks book, "How To Build FE Performance Engines" (Not sure that I got that one right) just about every question one could ask about performance FEs gets answered.
    FE engines have grown a dedicated following and there are a lot of performance parts available now. Only you can decide what works best for you.
    It looks great, though!

3. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Saw an article on that "Tobacco King" Galaxie a couple years ago.
    Pretty amazing! Cubic Money is what it takes, I guess...

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome , My Dad just showed me the video last night really cool ford and story !

5. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks Jason!
    For the longest time I just kept quiet about it and enjoyed taking it out in 'stealth mode'. Once I got used to the idea of keeping it and enjoying it, and became more aware of how much I liked it, I got a big smile every time I fired it up.
    Things have changed a little now that Ben has made my car famous. But I still get a kick out of it.
    Bill

6. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I found some pics from the New Year's Eve when I pulled the car into the shop.
    I scanned the photos so maybe they aren't the best....
    This is before I thought that maybe I should try and save the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a short time I experimented with 14" Ansen Sprints and F60-14 tires...front tires rubbed on everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Old&Low

Old&Low

Welcome from New Mexico Bill! Always had a soft spot for SOHCs myself but never had one when I could afford one; went the L88 route myself. You have a very cool Ford, to say the least!

8. red grees

red grees
    from bridger mt

my first ride in afactory hot rod was in a 406 tri power 4 speed galaxie when i was still riding a bicycle i havent been the same since and that wasway over 40 years ago.welcome to the h.a.m.b.RED

9. Welcome from another "old Ford" lover

10. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Welcome, Just saw the video. Love it. Love your car. Cant afford a 427 but love that sound.
    [​IMG]

11. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Nice ride Bill. And remember, no matter what anyone says, the car's yours. Do with it what you will. There is no wrong answer in hotrodding.

12. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Yessir, I agree. That is pretty evident here on the HAMB; lots of different brands and concepts that are generally appreciated for what they are and the owner's fondness for what they have is understood.
    Thanks, Bill

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Grappa! Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time and its definitely an acquired taste. Come to think of it, it could probably be used as fuel in your Ford!:D Thats some mean stuff!
    As for your car, this is the second time I watched the video and again grinned from ear to ear as you drove it. I love the car just as it is but if you do decide to do some work on it please start a thread so we can follow along.

14. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Will do. My nephew thought it would be cool to film the engine rebuild. He was in the shop of the original rebuilder and thought that it had a lot of visual appeal. (it certainly ain't no hospital 'clean room'. Very old school of a place.)
    I explained how long and repetitive of a process a full rebuild was and how much time he would have to spend filming basically the same steps 8 different times. Plus all the measuring of everything before any sort of machining or assembling takes place.
    We'll see how it actually shakes out.

15. SOHC427

SOHC427

Thanks Bill, it's a slow process for me, but it's coming along.

Man, I like the slots on your car, I have always been a fan of slots, and torq thrust wheels, and the dog dish caps.

Hopefully, that SOHC will be in the frame rails, by Christmas!

Eric

16. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Nice! I think that the Torque Thrusts are good period wheels for these cars. Always liked them. Do you have 'glass bumpers? or are they just stripped and painted?
    I agonized over buying a teardrop hood and 'glass bumpers from Crites. Probably won't... managed to locate a couple of used bumpers in good shape that make a big difference in the first impression.

17. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome to H.A.M.B. cool car, Had a 64 galaxie while I was in high school wasn't a 427 it had a 390. I wish I had it back.

18. SOHC427

SOHC427

Bill, I had to watch the video, again, and lust over the pics you posted.
    Loved the slots, and please keep us posted with the project!

Eric

19. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Hey Eric, thanks. Those pics are scans from photos that I had forgotten I had stashed away, they do have a certain appeal. Never really took a lot of pictures of my iron. Was looking for pics of my plow truck and found the shots of the car from the early/mid 90s.
    The slots are 14 x 7 Ansen Sprints (Unilug, not the best) that I had on my '66 Fairlane. I put them on the '64 to get rid of the mish-mash of rotten tires and mismatched rims. The fronts scrubbed pretty badly on the wheel lips. I still have the rims somewhere in my piles of 'stuff'.
    Post #3 of this thread has shots from this summer with the better bumpers and less dust. I'll try to be more proactive with pictures when I tinker with the car.

20. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I painted mine to give the look of Fiberglass. 1000 for bumper rechrome isnt in the budget for now.

21. cool car! welcome to the HAMB

22. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I could watch that video on a daily basis and never get tired of it! I've been swapping wheels/tires on my Galaxie the last couple years. The steelies and dog dish caps have been my preference for the last 20 years, but I finally caved in and tried some different combos to give it that old high school hotrod look.
    The Cragars were already mounted on a set of tires my dad gave me that were on a car he bought about 3 years ago. This year I switched to the polished slots and raised white letter tires. I like the slots a lot!

Attached Files:

23. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

That is one beautiful car! Any of those combos works just fine with the shiny black. For a while (way back when) I was tired of Cragar S/S but that was because they were everywhere. I like 'em on your's just fine.
    The polish on the slots makes a big difference.
    Bill

24. 390Merc:

Love the GALAXIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Eddie

Hopefully mine looks that good one day, just finished ripping mine apart for the paint shop next month

This is my inspiration!!!!

[​IMG]

25. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Thanks for the compliment Bill! I never cared for the mag wheel combos 20-30 years ago, but now that they aren't mainstream any more, I really like seeing them on something that would have been in the high school parking lot back then.
    Weather is taking a turn for the worse this coming week so I got mine out for what could be the last time for a few months. Wasn't easy on it either! My daughter enjoyed the ride I took her in it too!

26. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

27. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Fast Eddie: Just watched your "Sick Addiction" vid with all the A/FX Comets, etc. that was posted over on the FE Forum. Very cool!
    Most of that stuff was back about the time when I was following drag racing a lot as a high schooler.
    Nice!

28. SOHC427

SOHC427

Hey 390Merc, that is one nice looking 64! Black is always such a nice color on the old Fords. Mine was painted Black, at one time, but I went back to stock.
    I love that car, of yours.
    Thanks, Eric

29. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Welcome , Neat , Kool , I Like it.........

30. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

ive got a 55 ford that would be its identical twin in terms of crustiness but i gotta say one big hairy burnout at the end would have really driven that home