Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '54 Ford Gasser "Old School"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silhouettes 57, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

A friend of mine and I picked up an old '54 Ford Tudor built into a drag car back in the '60's (see inclosed pictures)
    It has a straight axle like nothing I'd ever seen before and the engine was set back a number of inches (we were told it ran a HEMI but we doubt that!), the steering is set back (see pictures), the rear end was redone but now has just a roller rear end.
    What we would like to know is does anyone from the Columbus, Ohio area remember or know anything about this Ford?
    You can see most of all the different color the car has been over the years so we hope that will help.
    If any of you have any information on this car please let us know, Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

keep us in the loop... id like to see some pics

3. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Silhouettes and I picked this 54 ford gasser up in Columbus, Ohio 11-16-11, has a weird straight axle setup, was a 4spd with set back engine (hemi we were told) and street raced, was blue then red in color, bolted together steel lift of front end, the steering setup comes up thru the floor with steering box bolted to frame with a funky 4 bar setup and coil over shocks to what looks like a econoline axle. Anyone got info or pics of this car?

4. Hey bud,
    That is an interesting coil over setup. It looks like it will be a fun restification for sure.

So what do you plan to stuff in it?

Benno

5. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

557 stroked 460

6. Well that should move it.

So your front axle is a 4 bar or is it set up with tailing arms like a coil setup in a Ford truck? When you pull the front sheetmetal I would be interested in a closer look at it.

7. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

4 bar with adjustable rod ends, large stuff like you can buy at tractor supply but old school.

8. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

We'll pull the front end off and get some closer photos of all the mechanics of the front end and steering!

9. How about a few photos to help inspire? HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Thanks for the pictures, some cool cars there.
    Here are a few more shots of the '54 to help find out the real story on this old Drag Car!

Attached Files:

11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

would you like to see another? i built this in the '60's. i never finished it and have been looking for another one to build it again for awhile now. i find the big 1/4 window like yours but not the small one like my old one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Looks like you have a lot of work to do....
    Are you gong to start with a new frame?

13. jangleguy

jangleguy

Love it! Always wanted to do one of those...

14. 60 ford

60 ford

I could be wrong but I think your car may have come from Indiana. In the late 70's I had one just like it except it had leaf springs on it. The hood and fenders were bolted together and made to tilt, It was red when I got it and I flat blacked it before I sold it. It didn't have any interior in it at all, I put one race seat in it. I stuck a 9" under it because it didn't have a rearend in it. If I remember right I put a 428 cj with a 4 speed in it. The guy I sold it to was Ohio, around Cinninati I believe, that's been a very long time ago.

15. sololobo

sololobo

Really a cool score, love these Fords doing race duty. Bulletproof1 had his gorgeous car at the H.A.M.B. drags this year and it was awesome. Looked red hot and ran like a bad boy! Good luck with the history and the project. ~sololobo~

16. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

60 ford, it do'es have leafs on the back, did you have a straight axle on front tell me more, any pics

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

More pics for inspiration :D Join our social group here too,would love to see the build in progress.

Attached Files:

18. 60 ford

60 ford

The one I had leafs on the front, I'll look but I don't think I have any pictures, I went thru a lot of cars back then and no camera phone,LOL. I wish now I had photos of all them. I got the car I had at an auto salvage yard I was working at. The owner of the yard was drag racing a white BB 55 chevy called Thumper around Indiana, his oldest son started building a 54 Ford to race with his dad. Before we got the car finished he was forced to get married. He had a 427 side oiler we were going to put in it, after he sold his motor I talked him into selling me the car. I bought a 428 cj and 4 speed out of a totaled 69 Cobra Torino that they had in the yard. I put it in the car got it running and sold it.

19. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Thanks for all the info you guys are giving us, also allot of encouragement...Thanks!

20. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

OK after looking closer I see signs that it might have had front leafs, so someone really messed this car up by putting this front setup on it compared to what was on it, Body is'nt all that bad althought the front sheet metal will need changed so a good parts car will be needed (anyone?)

21. 60 ford

60 ford

I hope you do a build thread I'd love to see it being rebuilt. Are you going to make the front end tilt when you replace it? I will look for some pictures of the one I had tonight.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

54 Fords are classic bodies, but that frontend setup is scarey weird! Hope you change it to a leaf spring axle! Nice find!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  23. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

We probably will put in a leaf spring axle.
    Also I guess we'll need a parts car....anybody got one?

24. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i do have 54 parts car..what do you need

26. Verminator

Verminator

more inspiration -- my 54 getting a 390 4 speed

Attached Files:

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the possibilities your car has, and especially that you are sticking a big Ford motor in there. Here's a photoshop of a '54 with another big Ford motor.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

now that we're on the whole 52-54 gasser builds..does anyone know if fiberglass fenders are made for these cars?

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

We'll get a list together and then contact you....THANKS!

30. cl350rr

cl350rr

Drool...