Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has Anybody Else Lost Interest In Their Projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R

I've only got one project going on 'cause there's no way I have the time/space/money/motivation to dilute my current resources with multiple projects. And I hate to say it, but I've lacked motivation on my AV8 build for nearly a year now. I've been sidetracked with O/T stuff, but the truth of the matter is that I'm at a pretty critical juncture with the hot rod project (welding the frame/crossmembers together) and.....well, I'm intimidated. I'm concerned I'm going to screw up something bad. Ultimately, I know I just need to bite the bullet and proceed as best I can and tell myself......"anything can be fixed if I screw it up".

So is it a lack of motivation? I guess so, but not likely for the same reason most of y'all may encounter. I need to grow a pair and get back to work!

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

My ole lady lost interest in her project ........ME. Of course i need a frame off.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

3. The more I read, the more my mind is changing on it. I don't know what makes me fall head over hills for my Ford: is it the chase or the capture? The hunt or the kill? Do I like the idea of the car or the actual car? Shit, I guess I'm just like any other man. :eek:

I guess my friend Mike was right. He just spent all his time building the damn thing. Left no time to think about it. No wonder I admire him. :D!

He's got the same problem though. Had one and bought another. Only difference is he built the new one before the newness wore off..... I guess the Dodge it is than. LMAO!

4. carsluTT

carsluTT

funny to read this thread today, i have been back and forth w/ my wife about my project cars. i bought a few cars while i was young with plans to fix them as i got older. well im a tad older and not 1 is running...... she isn't so happy about the cars being useless in their current shape but something in me says "ill get to them" some day...... honistly im not sure if i should let a few of the less rare cars go just to free up space or hold out for "someday" to hit.

5. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I can only hope that more people young and old start loosing interest in their projects and the prices start dropping like flies...
    but in the meantime, good luck on all your projects...

6. I had a roadster project in my garage that was fired up before the neutral safety switch was hooked up. It lurched forward and slightly injured someone.

I wanted it gone right after that....I literally could not stand the sight of the thing.

I was talked out of selling it so hastily and just let it sit for few months. After that I was ok with it again.

7. kozik

kozik

I like to power thru projects since I cant stand seeing them sit.

so what i do is not start a new one until I have enough cash saved up to buy all the crap I need to get it running and done.

I have done 1 project every 3 years for a while. It's usually 2 years of saving up, then a 1 year frenzy to get it together. I currently have 3 finished rides done, the Dodge, the Ford Truck and The Chopper. All of them are done and run and get rotated regularly as drivers.

Right now I am 1 year into the 'saving up cash' cycle and will pull the trigger on the Drag Car in late 2012.

works for me...since I at least can spend every weekend finessing the running vehicles I don't get too aggravated when I get itchy for garage time.

The Drag Car project will be fairly complex, so I am using this 'saving cash downtime' to thoroughly organize the project, which will then run smooth.

8. Hahaha. :D

9. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I lost intrest in a ot 54 Willys truck for 3 yrs. It just sat there on jack stands taking up space. I was overwhelmed and intimidated by the work . Finally dug in and finished. Did alot of it twice too.

10. I've had this one going for 18 years, wow........18 years, that's a long time when you are reading it in black and white.......holy cow !....lol
    Anyhow I still do something to it it every year, built 6 other cars since I started on this one too, the most recent was the Henry J done in 10 months. I recently drove it out of the garage and turned it around for a fresh look when I open the garage door. Just something to keep the fire lit to maybe getting it done one day. I also realize that scoop isn't going to work after doing that too...lol

[​IMG]

11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i like the chase... then i work on it a bit... then park it...(next to the other ones) then tinker with it. maybe get to the driveable stage... but never finished. now i've experienced a year of great turmoil in my life...my dad and then mom died... still working on getting the estate cleaned up. now last week my wife says it time to seperate/divorce... my car intrest is at an all time low.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thats a 36' Ford Custom that won 3rd place overall at the first Detroit Autorama in 1953,... I'll probably keep that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Probably, huh? :D Hahaha

14. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I feel you....have 12 cars and haven't touched one in months...I like what I have just no desire to do it

15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I think it depends on the person I've lost interest in several projects thru the years but always went back to them and finished them. My current project a 54 F100 I lose interest in from time to time especially when I get pissed at it but I'll finish it in time.

16. Yesterday. haha. i think i give myself too much credit for the things that i can do on a car. the Olds needs floors as well as some rust repair on the c pillar. everything has to be de-rusted and cleaned. i tell myself i can do all that. but i keep looking at it as this giant f***ing pit that i dont want to jump into. partly because its not really my favorite car ( i think its kinda ugly :eek:) and i dont have the drive to sink all this time and money i dont have into it.

MAYBE if this was my second or third rodeo but not for a first project. i remember reading on some other post a while back, "it's important to have a running project car for new guys because you can always go and fire it up, giving you recognition that its not too far gone" or something like that. i totally agree.

so you may see a 1958 oldsmobile in the classifieds someday soon with no floors and no engine trans for a decently low price just so i can get it away from me and find something i truly like and already has light at the end of the tunnel.:D

17. rustang

rustang

Bought my present project ('38 Chev PU) back in 1981... painted it in the mid '80s and have had it sitting without being driven since August of '93..... now she is being pulled own for the project I should have done when I got it, and never did....
    Tom

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I got "Buddy F*cked" on some swap out work and was so pissed I parked the car and some body came by and gave a decent offer and off it went, I hunted long for the car but had no interest in it after the screw job.

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Sometimes life just intrudes, no matter what level of eagerness you have to finish a project. I had a '57 Morris Minor Traveler (woody) that I worked on for five years. Bought it for $100 off a local radio swap shop. Guy who had it bought it just for the semaphore turn signals he needed for his Anglia. I put a Art Morrison front clip under it (Willys is 1/2" different than Morris), put full frame rails, narrowed S-10 rear, 215 Buick with TH350, new wood kit from England. But shit happens, we sold our home due to high property taxes and moved north (I'm on fixed income). Then the wife got sick and I didn't touch the car for a couple of years. Finally sold it in a stroke of luck to my louver punching partner's wife so it is "still in the family" and bought a finished chopped shoebox with a trunk big enough for a wheelchair and oxygen so the wife can cruise with me. You never know what fate has in store for you, just roll with the punches. Years ago there was a Hot Rod magazine cover of a SOHC powered mustang that a septengenarian lettuce grower in California built to cruise. I will meet my goal of also cruising in my seventies no matter what hills need to be climbed.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

There are also other considerations in life that make us rethink our pile of projects,... Sometimes, what we loved as a young adult and drove the wheels off of ( and still love today) are becoming more and more impractical as we age. A few years ago we took a Deuce Vicky to Columbus.

This was a great car with a really good suspension, and rode great for a car with a 106" wheelbase (much better than what we drove in the 1970's and up),... But when my buddy and I got down there,... we were a bit sore & stiff. Back in our 20's, 30's,.... even into the early 40's,... you would have "energy plus" when you got there,.. Ready to take on the nationals and the evenings activities....

The last two years we took his 56' Chevy yeoman, and then his 55' Bel-Air 2dr. HT,.... Big difference!. Then of course you have to be concerned about your Wife or Girl Friend,..... Kids,... Grandkids,....it was a lot easier when a couple of single buddies threw a couple gym bags, tent, sleeping bags, tool box and hibachi in the trunk of the Deuce Coupe, and you were off like a shot.

I still love the look of My 1932 Fords,.... and I am currently building a 33 3/W for myself ( looking for a better ride out of the 112" wheel base). When I look at that Deuce 3/W sitting in the corner,.. It gets me excited,... but I find myself rubbing my lower back just looking at it.

At the end of the day,... The clock is ticking, and as we age we get a handle on how valuable each one of those little tics are. I wish I had the ability to take my own advice on this matter,.... But here it is,......

Pick one project, stay on that project and stay focused,.... Like I said before, The most fun I ever had in hot rodding, was when I had one driver,... and one project in the garage,..... Somewhere I got derailed along the way.

21. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I just can't find the time!

22. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

23. billy zz

billy zz

i have never lost interest.
    but i do get frustrated when i have to mothball something because of lack of money....

24. Kramer

Kramer

I wouldn't say I have lost interest in my project, but there are times I don't work on it for a year. I like things done right, (we're not talking safety stuff here, that's a given) and being this is my first real project, I haven't done most of what I am doing. So if I get stumped on something I will quit working and think about it. Usually it will come to me on how it needs to be done, or I will see something on here that will lead me in the right direction. That can take several months sometimes. And with the garage only big enough to park it in and not really work on it there, not much gets done, if anything, in the winter months. It will get finished however.

25. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

This. Im set on doing it once and doing it right though so its cool. I also have 3 young children that will only be young once!

26. Old&Low

Old&Low

Referencing "325w"s white truck: Judging by the height of the roof I'd rule out a "Ute;' my guess is it started life as a Deuce Panel Truck.

27. bfinch56

bfinch56

This thread is so depressing. :confused:

28. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

Whats bad is you work at finishing a project what seems forever and loose interest.End of getting rid of it and a short time later it passes you going down the road completed.I seem to enjoy the mechanic side of projects.I get them running where you can drive them then seem to loose focus.

29. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I have 2 projects going and one waiting. When I get aggrevated with one I go to the other, back and forth, back and forth. Why I do this I dont know. Maybe I want to many. This is what works for me. I dont even see myself selling them off but I do try not to bring anymore home no matter how strong the temptation.

30. hahaha, not really, I am looking for some new projects to score! I want to be buddies with Harms Way, hehehe... ( this is where I stand up and tell everyone in the group that I have a problem):D