Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slot Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waldo53, Nov 18, 2011.

1. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Can you still get slot cars and track? I remember how much my kids enjoyed racing and was thinking about getting a set-up for my grandkids for Christmas. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Deuces likes this.
  2. cederholm

cederholm

There is a huge thread about slot cars around here somewhere. I'm sure many of the guys who have large collections on that thread could help you.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Just Google Slot Cars and you will find plenty of sellers of tracks, cars, and kits. Very easy to find

Deuces likes this.
  4. They still sell it new I think HO scale. We got a catalog the other day with slots in it.

The wife and I keep talking about building a big track like we used to visit and race on when we were kids. I don't think it would be that big a deal you just need a dedicated space.

Deuces likes this.

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

Deuces likes this.
  6. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

I had looked into this for my kids for Christmas last year but we ran out of money buy the stuff that they had on their lists. Last year there were TONS complete set up tracks with cars for like $140-180, some were like 60' of track.

Deuces likes this.
  7. 1/32 are very common and much more fun, if you have the space, the the HO scale

8. Don
    The 1/32 is the bigger car right? We used to race the bigger cars at slot car places when I was a kid.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Do a internet search for Auto World and also Electric Dreams. Electric Dreams has vintage cars and parts. Also check out the Slot Car Illustrated website.

Do a search here on the HAMB. Couple of guys including myself have posted some pics of collections.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Beaner, the H-O is 1/87, about a third of the 1/32 scale...The old Revell 'Highway Pioneers' series were in 1/32 scale. There was a resounding cheer from modelers when the first AMT '32 roadster hit the market in (then) HUGE 1/25 scale!

Deuces likes this.
  11. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Home Racing World is another good site/forum. There are a couple members from there that are on here I think.

Deuces likes this.

12. Mike,
    Thanks, I think 1/32 must have been what we raced at the commercial tracks.

Deuces likes this.
  13. JJTF

JJTF

My boys & I play with the HO scale (little ones), they're pretty inexpensive, tracks, parts, & cars readily available, also mostly compatible with my 70's stuff, AFX, Tyco to name couple. My little one said his first curse word (in correct context) a couple years when his car flew off the track & broke!

Deuces likes this.
  14. Yes, 1/32 are bigger, about 4-6" long (HO are 2-2.5"). Most commercial stores when we were kids were 1/24 scale, which are more like 7-9" long - not practical for home tracks.
    From 1968-70 my family owned the local slot car store - we had three huge 1/24th scale tracks and I became the most popular kid in school (Dude, can you get me some free track time?). It was called GO-GO Raceways (afterall it was the swinging 60's)

Deuces likes this.
  15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Like everyone says, just google "slot cars" and you will find a huge selection of cars, tracks, and accessories in HO, 1/32, and 1/24 scale. Ninco now has a few cars in 1/28 scale. Other popular brands are Scalelextric, Carrera, and SCX. Revell has some new slot car sets in 1/43 scale. The popular brands also have digtal slot racing where you can run up to 6 cars on a 2 slot track and control each car individually, even if the cars are on the same lane. I wish they would bring back those old Cox/WenMac gas cars.

Deuces likes this.
  16. jc,

SCX is the 1/43 version of Scalextric :)

Deuces likes this.
  17. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

One of the newest additions to model railroad and slot car racing is digital. This opens up a whole new world. I just bought my son a digital Scalectrix set a year or so ago.

The difference, each car has a digital chip with a specific code (probably not the correct terms) therefore you can only control a specific car with your controller, they are married by the code. This means you can switch lanes and not interfere with the other cars on the track and you can have multiple cars on a double lane track as each car is ran by a specific controller and can switch lanes to pass.

Pretty amazing the difference. No longer are you stuck in one lane going round and round. You can switch lanes and pass now with multiple cars going round and round racing away.

Deuces likes this.
  18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hi Mac, SCX sells the 1/43 and the 1/32 scale. Check out their web site. Carrera sells 1/24,1/32, and 1/43 scale but the 1/24 and 1/32 Carrera cars use the same track.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Aurora and A/FX still rule!!! ;)

Attached Files:

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

21. Huh- I thought that Scalextric was 1/24 and 1/32 and that the SCX was their 1/43 "price leader" line?

Thanks for the info!

22. carmak

carmak

I vote for a Carrera 1/32 set. Expect to pay $100+ but the cars are fairly tough even when used by kids.

I recomend a set with banked curves and 60's stock cars.

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

back in the late 60s when I was 7, I had a Eldon 1/32 scale slot car set. Later around 72 I got a Tyco HO set which was a duel set (slot car and train). I just love those slot cars. But if you buy a new set, go digtal. Go to youtube and see the digtal cars in action, cool.

Deuces likes this.
  24. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I have both HO and the bigger variety, 1/32 etc. The HO was fun but they were so fast and so unrealistic racing wasn't even fun, it was fun to watch them go but not fun to have actual races.

I vote for the larger variety in what ever brand has what you want and having the digital I would also throw my vote for digital, it is awesome to have 4 or more cars racing without having to have 4 or more lanes.

Deuces likes this.
  25. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

A friend of mine has a track that is hooked up to his lap top. It controls the lights,counts laps, gives speed, and keeps us all honest, etc. We have a LeMans start (we run into the garage from a circle out in the street), are allowed two cars (to race or use for parts) and the whole race is to scale in miles and time. Even the wives get into it...sometimes.

Deuces likes this.

26. ^^^ I agree with Deuces! Here are a few of mine. Been playing with HO slot cars since the 1960's.

Jim

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This was a hobbie that looked fun,so I got a Cox GT40 in about 1966 and got my ass handed to me by them fast little young guys at the track,geeeeees no repect.

Deuces likes this.
  28. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Man, I was 1 slot car junkie back in high school (mid 60's) - built customs - 4 wheel drive Novi, Chaparrel with functional rear wing, 3 wheeler powered by a propeller in back, wheel standers, bunch of stuff. Our track was a custom made 3 lane oval banked that was 16' by 4' and fast. The whole in field was done up like Indy - real cool.
    Our local hobby shop has a bunch of slots and can get anything you want - so it's out there.

Deuces likes this.
  29. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Not HAMB but something I build with HO Slot cars after my heart surgery.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

I got back into it back in '03... I bought all my cars off of ebay..