Register now to get rid of these ads!

Webber carbs on a SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. swimeasy

swimeasy

The other day, on the Jalopy Journal blog, Ryan posted some "teaser shots" for the Hot Rod Revolution, and in one of the photos there is a 283(no Assy. holes) with 4 Webber carbs.Has anybody out there built an engine like that? That motor looks bad ass!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. 302 SBC w/4 webbers

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and banjeaux bob like this.
  3. swimeasy

swimeasy

Can I buy A Intake to run 4 Webbers? Hint, Hint!

4. If price is a consideration, the answer is NO.

5. fast eaddy is whear i got a set up many yeats ago

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think moon sells the setup

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

Are those the 48 carbs?

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Moon used to but only has SBF and FE sets today. Try Inglese.

9. IWB

IWB

Yes those are 48 IDA'S. There are 48 IDF'S also. If I'm remembering right 2 of those carbs are equal to an 850 carb.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

start searching ebay and the swaps for the intake. The carbs are easy to get.

11. swimeasy

swimeasy

That sounds like it would be hard to tune(over carbed)! On the street, do you guys think this work?

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Home made setup...

linkage 030.jpg

10E 052.jpg

13. Yep... The Roadster on the right had 48 IDAs on a Moon Racing manifold atop of a Snotty 355 SBC best run without VHT 12.40 at 119 and with the super glue VHT a 10.98 at 121!

When you build it be sure to have a "Colortune" and an accurate flow meter and you'll do fine until there is a significant barometric change then expect completely different performance.

I would highly recommend the IDFs for small engines for the street... they have smaller chokes and are better suited for the street rpms!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  14. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Look for the older made in Italy carbs, in my opinion the new ones are junk.

15. The ultimate carbs for a Shelby or any SB Ford.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Some one else alluded to it above, but there are basically two types of Weber down draft carbs, The IDA and the IDF. Both are absolutely remarkable carbs in that they can be tuned to damn near any engine or combonation that you can think of. Part of the secret is replacable venturis called "chokes". Instead of having one carb that flows X amount of air and tuning around that, the Webers can be "choked" to the nessesary airflow needs and tuned to that. It is best to have a good selection of jets and things plus a really good tuning guide. The IDF is the better of the two carbs for street use, and by far less expensive. These are not nearly as pricy as people seem to think they are. Redline is another great source for Weber stuff.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. milo1303s

milo1303s

mmmmm Webbers!!!!!!!!

18. I actually got really good at setting up Weber's, Delorto's, and SU's since I 've owned all combinations and raced them all.

As I mentioned before it's important to get the right size for the application and yes they are very tune-able if you know what rpm to engine flow ratio... because that'll determine your "Air Meters" and choke sizes.

Another factor is if your running Individual runners or a common plenum manifold. Individual Runners will require accurate flow meter as well as a British tool called a "Colour Tune" that'll indicate the mixture going to each individual cylinder is perfect and will greatly enhance the performance of your engine.

Common Plenum Manifolds are like the old multi-carb logs and are more forgiving regarding mixture levels because you can shut the idle mixture screws off the end carbs entirely while running off the center carb's idle circuits... that way you can conserve fuel and not accidently load up the engine at low RPMs.

I've tuned Countach's, Ferraris, AC Cobras, GT40's, Jaguars, Austin Healeys, Hot Rods and aircraft from what I learned from Webers and SU Carburetors!

The Countach ran 6 DCOE side draft carbs and I developed a special tool to balance the air flow where you don't have to remove the quarter panels and that has kept me more than busy with a couple of fellas car collections in the past.

Also helped me with OLD multi-carb set ups Such as Cadilackids coupe... I loved the Hudson Hornet set up!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

IDF and IDA carbs are fine, and they also sound totally awesome, but imo the DCOE is the winner of them all.
    There used to be a T coupè from hotrod webers? w/ 4 side draft DCOEs and it looked awsome.
    Dell'Ortos are as good. Oh, the made in the UK ones are good too, but apparently theres many copies.

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Dont forget the dellorto carbs, they are a clone of the weber idf's, and again less money. Check out CB performance in california. I too have some idf's 48's originaly from inglese. Would like to share info sometime on how to set them up on sbc's. Been reading the cobra forums for baseline jetting on similar cubic inch and cam setups. Keep this thread alive!

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Be carefull with "older" ones, there are certain areas that if worn out, would cost more to repair than the carb is worth. Also the older ones dont have the third hole progression circut drilled, the new ones do. Stay away form EMPI, and at most take apart the new ones to make sure they are clean from original assembly. FLoat level settings are very important, along with max 3psi fuel pressure.

22. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed on the 3# pressure max.Also I've found,for street use.If you run a return line back to the tank,webers will love you for it.Hard starting issues if not. Fun setup.

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

the only thing that i can afford that says weber on it is my old grill in the back yard.LOL

24. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Hope to learn from this post as I have an older unit that has never been installed Have valve covers from Inglesse & all the other parts to install but not sure about Have talked to Comp Cam & they were very helpful just haven't pulled the trigger yet

25. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

pic of webbers

Attached Files:

26. skywolf

skywolf

How about a sidedraft setup ?

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ thats is what i was talkin about^^^ The T coup and its mate's rodster wore that set up.
    These carbs sound bad ass on 4 or 6 cylinder inline engines, and EVIL on V8.
    Plus, and its a BIG plus, you cant quite beat the looks.

28. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Don't forget the DCNF 40's

They have a bolt pattern very close to, if not the same as small 2GC's

They came stock on Ferrari's, I ran a pair on an O.T. car and I was very happy with the results.

Shawn

29. The "Teaser" pic is of my motor. Small journal 327 with 48 IDA's. They are good for 660 CFM per carb. Alot of consideration goes into the setup. # 1 and most important is the cam selection. Must be custom ground with almost zero overlap of intake and exhaust valves.

Yes.they are costly. 3# fuel pressure MAX. They are awesome once you get them tuned !:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. metalshapes

metalshapes

I used 42DCNF carbs off a Maserati/ Citroen on mine.

Lower intake is a Early Rochester FI intake.

I made my own adapters and linkage.

I have a thread about that somewhere...