Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Adam's Model A Tudor AV8 Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam M., Jan 28, 2011.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I was going to say "don't cut that crossmember, it is an early 28 piece..." next pic it was cut. No biggie.
    The slotted top of the axle bolt hole in the wishbone wass made that way to hold the axle bolt from turning while you tighten the nut underneath. It needs to be really tight.
    Looks like a fun project with that early 283 and all. I'm still thinking 59A in my 29 Tudor but who knows? Enjoy.

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Cool project and write-up! I'll be watching this build as I do mine. '29 Sedan, 59A flathead, '32 frame.

3. Well the first step when you change your entire plan, is to blow the whole car apart and start from scratch.

My Friend Matt is home for a few weeks, so we figured we'd get some work done on the car

[​IMG]

Here are my new tires! I'm not going leave them red, I just happend to pick them up like that. I'm not exactly sure what colour the car and the wheels will be, but I don't think I need to worry about that yet!

[​IMG]

I picked up that Offenhauser manifold when I was in California last year. I'd like to get that 69A block hot tanked and magnafluxed to see if we have a builder.

4. Its been a really hot week. When we need some air, we jump on this banger chassis and go for a spin!

[​IMG]

Here is the starting point and a fresh start

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. I machined up some motor mounts and started on the front radius rod brackets the other day after work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have them this far, and I'm going to wait until I have the front end back on so I can decide where I want to cut them off. I have to make the insert for the center still and make them look nice!

[​IMG]

I made the motor mounts the same way. Sure saves alot of grinding!

[​IMG]

6. I took friday off work so Matt and I could get some work done on the car.

[​IMG]

This is the mock up engine! It was free. By free I mean price, not that it turns over!

[​IMG]

Pulled the side cover off the '41 Merc trans, and first and reverse didn't look too nice

[​IMG]

Here are a couple F1 truck crossmembers that I brought home. We found them in my friends field. The top one was from his grandfathers '50 Ford F47 that when it was worn out, he cut it in half and used it as a trailer, and when the trailer was worn out, he tossed it in the field too! The bottom one is the one I'm using and it was used as a farm wagon!

[​IMG]

7. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice build, I'm following

8. We wanted to figure out where the motor mounts go, so instead of lifting the body off and on a bunch of times, we just used the rusty old dolly that it was on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we had everything measured, we moved back to the good frame and started welding

[​IMG]

I also replaced the buchered center crossmember

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we dropped the motor in for a test fit

[​IMG]

The F1 Crossmember is just sitting in the frame at this point, that's why it looks like its on an angle

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  9. A couple more pics for ya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy! I am!

10. harald

harald

Looks great Adam, looking forward to see more. Good to have another person to help.
    I actually got a bunch done on mine finally.

11. I've been doing alittle on the car but haven't taken any pictures of it.

I did get some parts and other "good buys"

I was driving down the road, saw some stuff in a yard, stopped, met a new friend, and bought some stuff!

There was this neat boat where I bought an oil pressure and an amp gauge for the Hot Rod:

[​IMG]

I wonder what the original tach looked like:

[​IMG]

Then I bought this BOAT from the same guy!

[​IMG]

Its a 1966 Bonneville Wagon with a 389! I got it home, washed it up and realized I don't need two yellow wagons, so I sold it so I can get back to the Model A

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  12. I went to a neat auction at a Marina. I could not believe the engines!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look in the middle:

[​IMG]

Yep its a Hemi. I didn't get it. I made a mistake. Don't ask.

[​IMG]

I missed out....

Back to the Flathead!

13. Well Everyone, you've seen my plan change a little over this project and now its about to REALLY change

[​IMG]

I found this in a local Classified ad. I never thought I'd own a roadster!

[​IMG]

And it came with this:

[​IMG]

The for more on that story click this link:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635617

So instead of this:

[​IMG]

I now have this:

[​IMG]

So now the Tudor body is here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641524

NOW I have a plan...I think! I'm undecided on the '32 frame. I like the look of a plain and simple AV8 on A rails. Only time will tell now!

Was this a good idea?

What do you think?

14. WOWW, some killer stuff man, and Brockville aint very far from me. Where the hell are you finding all this stuff? I've been searching in all the wrong places. Great finds. let me know if anything goes up for sale. P.S. what ever happened to the impala?

15. nickk

nickk

hahaha and i thought i changed my mind and plans a lot.. good scores though

16. There is a cool Model A tudor body on KIJIJI or the HAMB classifieds for ya! I need to stop looking and focus on what I have....

That Impala went everywhere! I parted it out and sold every piece except I tossed some of the exhaust and I still have the rear window, and the dealer badge off the back is hanging on the wall.

There seems to be ALOT of guys from Ontario on here!

17. Right when I think I am focused with a plan...BAM something better pops up!

I need to focus. I believe I now have a plan...almost!

18. Kingsway

Kingsway

Yeah maybe i should move back... I lived there till i was 17 and i don't remember there being all those deals. :eek:

19. Lupe.

Lupe.
    from TX

I think we need to re-name this thread now. Looks like the shopping is as much fun as the building.

Good stuff!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to look and see where you lived again as it was starting to sound like my buddy was writing it. He is always so busy buying, selling and trading that he never gets anything done on a project.
    If I was closer I'd be trying to figure out how to talk you out of that 32 chassis.

21. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I will have to follow this thread as well. Neat project going on here.

Frenchy

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Roadster = Awesome!!! Congrats!

Hold on to that 32 frame with everything you got for a future build.

23. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Nice finds! That roadster body looks good on there.

24. You've bought some real nice cars here. (Weird detour with the pontiac wagon though. LOL)

25. Thanks man, I was lucky to find it. I'll I ever seem to find is tudor sedan bodies! Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think the roadster will be a nice change! I've also never had an open car before.

Ya I'm still up in the air about that one. I really like the look of the A frame and as a simple AV8. The 32 frame puts a whole new spin on things. I'm likely going to do what you said and save the 32 for the next one!

Well I love wagons, but the Galaxie is enough. Believe it or not, that car was planned to go to a scrap yard, when I stepped up and saved it. I found a new owner for it who loves Pontiacs and I made alittle coin to help out on the Model A! I actually bought it to part out, but after I cleaned it up, it was WAY to nice, so now it is another mans project car!

I thought so too! The '30 Tudor body is now sold, and the buyer already has a chassis finished ready to go. His plan is to drive it to California and also take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour! I thought that was pretty cool!

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i definitely vote for the chassis to move forward as planned and the 32 frame to wait for another project. there is something so simply perfect about an A roadster on an A frame. i think it's going to be a great car.