Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Home made Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Journalist, Nov 13, 2011.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

why not go the other way and cast a set of "hemi head/herron head" pistons. The hemisphere is in the top the piston? would be a touch cheaper...but then you open up a whole lot of other issues.

2. My understanding is MoPar made a factory inline six with a hemi head in Australia. Might be easier to adapt the Aussie head to the chevy six. Or maybe just score one of those mopar engines.

3. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

That causes more issues though. The valves, the rockers, all of it. Now I would love to just go buy some 291 desoto hemi heads and cut em up, but that still requires as much if not more work than starting from scratch.

Hahaha... well.... :rolleyes:

no.

4. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Wow... this just might make this whole thread useless... But now I feel like I am obligated to HAVE to make one, you know?

Well, I just checked, cheapest one would be $5500 and with shipping... just too much.

5. wanabe28

wanabe28

6. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

This is going to sound stupid of me but I never knew that there was more than one ebay. I mean I knew that there are several of certain sites but this is a little surprising to me.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Australian "Hemi" six cylinder is a Hemi in name only. Don't bother. And you might do well to look at DeSoto heads and try to deduce where you would run the exhaust rush rods

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, a dickfor.

True, hemi in name only. See the attached picture of the combustion chamber, looks pretty ordinary, doesn't it? It looks a lot more like an open chamber wedge head than a hemi.

Attached Files:

9. Do you mean anyone as in one of us or anyone as in anyone period.

Mickey Thompson made hemi heads for several engines that were not traditionally hemi engines. Fords, Pontiacs etc.

Two things come to mind, first off you will need to design and or make casting plugs. The easiest way is going to be if you are proficient with 3D modeling or know someone who is.

M/T ran onto a problem with some engines getting the push rods to clear the intake ports. he got around it by making pushrods that were hinged in the middle and then were traped by the casting to keep then in align.

Probably wouldn't hurt to be a pretty good machinist while I am adding things to your skill set. Ther are some other skills that would be helpful but I suppose that they are not necessary.

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

That chrysler hemi 6 is such a joke. Part of the thing that makes a Hemi so bitchin is the cross flow port layout. Carbs on one side and headers on the other.

11. Years back I met an old retired Chrysler engineer, really knew his Hemi stuff. He had a library of SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) publications that covered this subject to the point of boredom. If you really want to do this contact a local chapter of SAE and befriend a member who can assist you in your research. Unfortunately when he passsed on his family hauled all his books to the dump.

12. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

A Hemi l6 I don't think it would be a joke - I beg to differ - But the way he is trying to get a true Hemi Head is what i am not understanding - THE DESOTO WAY - I FULLY UNDERSTAND - SOME WERE IN TIME THEORY IN MIND OR ON PAPER - WILL HAVE TO GIVE WAY TO THE FACT OF DOING - Clap clap - You can go back to playing

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used to have a 1932 Plymouth 4 cylinder that I put a '57 Ford head on to make it an OHV engine. After a while I thought it would be better with a Hemi head. I had a Dodge engine here so I tried that head but it was to short. I also had a 392 but that head was too long. So I went to Charlie Markley and borrowed a DeSoto head to try and it was just right. But the exhaust push rods would have had to pass through the water jacket and cylinder to reach the rocker arm. Or conceivably I could bore holes through the head and braze in tubes to bring push rods to the intake rocker shaft and make a cross rocker and push rod deal like the V8-60 Ardun heads. I just stuck with the Ford head.

Attached Files:

14. r8odecay

r8odecay

You could get 6 shovelhead Harley heads, and a bunch of cutoff wheels, and frankenstein it....

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Are you sure? :eek:

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This post makes it seem that you don't know what a hemi is.

17. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

"M/T ran onto a problem with some engines getting the push rods to clear the intake ports. he got around it by making pushrods that were hinged in the middle and then were traped by the casting to keep then in align. "

Do Tell!:eek: Show me, PNB, Please Dammit!:D

I gotta' see this one.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ardun Doug King died a while ago, and his Ardun is for sale on the bay. You could pony up the $20,000 asking and have a flathead converted to OHV. Maybe cut up the heads to fit your Chevy. Easier to weld aluminum than iron

19. Gator

Gator

[​IMG]

20. Once you come up with a plan on how to pay for this, get back to us.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Thanks, Gator!
    Would ya' happen to know if they ran inside a sleeve or something?
    Seems like riding in a casting bore that was not tight enough, would lead to generating a lot of wear metal.
    That is unique, though!

22. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Big plans stir the blood. Pay no mind to those who say you can't do it. Time is on your side ...work on your skill set. If you want it bad enough, you can do it.

23. General_wartz

General_wartz

Thats cool as hell!

24. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Shure I shouldn't go pick up those 55 Desoto heads I found in Lancaster Rich, I mean, the Dodge is going to be in the roadster already. Maybe there is life after Morton and Brett for the dodge.:)

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well DeSoto heads are pretty cool. A whole DeSoto would be cooler. But we have a Studebaker, a 26 Dodge, a 28 Chevy, and a 2.8 V6 Ford apart already. We might start getting parts mixed up.

26. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Could we put a Desoto hemi head on the 26 Dodge with Hemi pistons after we run the Morton and Brett head. That would be cool, and maybe very effective. Stewart Family and Creel, V4F/GR 152.131mph, set in 2002. Could be doable with a Hemi Dodge 4.

I am mixed up already, that's why I keep trying to put flathead Ford rods into Studebakers and 351C pistons into long rod 351m engines, along with BBC rods. Don't blame the 28 Chevy on me, you bought it apart.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that the center "link" in the pushrod ran in a tight bore in the head. Pretty creative way to make a pushrod go around a corner. Well, not quite that much of a turn......

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The DeSoto head had the perfect as passable bore spacing for the Plymouth. The Dodge Bros. is considerably longer than the Plymouth and perhaps a Chrysler head would fit. I doubt the DeSoto would. At any rate the engine would not make it into the "F" part of the V4F class. And so we would not run the Stewart family and Creel record.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Australian I-6 is kind of interesting... Hmmm... V-12 Hemi?? :rolleyes::D